Reyna on way back to states

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by pettyfog, Jan 9, 2007.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

SOCCER
    Reyna could be Red Bulls-bound

Heh... a year or two too late, Claudio!

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I think he'll do fine at NYRB.

Those who only have watched Claudio since his move from Rangers to Sunderland a few years ago missed the multiplicity of skills and passion the guy has. Despite those who disagree with me [some forcefully as I remember], I still think that Reyna is the best out-field player we've ever produced on this side of the water. His play in the 2002 WC was stellar.

The good news is that we'll be able to check him out a bit more. I think he'll move on to coaching after some time with NYRB.

3. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

He's had a tremendous run (the Fulham fiasco aside), opened many doors for non-goalkeepers going abroad. However, I'm afraid his body might even betray him in a MLS season. It would certainly motivate my friends and I to buy tix to see the RedBulls when they play at the HDC.

4. pettyfog

We ARENT going to parrot the twits on the offal, at ALL!

It's hard to not feel superior in footy knowledge when you see how some of them treated Eddie Lewis.... for expectations he had nothing to do with.

I agree about Reyna's past... the difference is that he is subject to injury ever since he was in SPL. He COULD end up another Harkes in what he can bring to youngsters in on the pitch mentoring.

We'll just have to wait and see.

5. jmh

jmh New Member

Re: RE: Reyna on way back to states

I continue to believe the pre-injuries Tab Ramos was better, but you certainly have a legitimate case.

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

As do you, pard; they're #1 and #1a to me.

7. psand22

psand22 Member

Yep, I agree....Claudio and Tab are the top of the list....but don't give up on Reyna just yet. Injury worries aside - I think he's got plenty of gas in the tank and well worth a top dollar slot for the Red Bulls. I'm sure the owners are already printing up the Reyna shirts as we type...

8. WonsanUnited

WonsanUnited New Member

As a Red Bulls fan, I'm excited. We have a lot of young players like Marvell Wynne and Jozy Altidore who need his guidance. And he still has a few years left in him. I would rather see and American soccer legend like him rather than David Beckham. This is the chance of a lifetime to see one of the best American soccer players ever.

9. tibor

tibor New Member

It will be cool to have Reyna back in the states; he was the future of American soccer for so long it's hard to believe he's getting up there in age.

BTW agree 100% on Ramos; that guy was a stud and the head injury was one of the most sickening sites I've ever had the displeasure of seeing.

10. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

If I were the Bulls I wouldn't make this move, not a chance. He'll eat alot of the cap room and I doubt he'll hardly leave the training room table. He's so injury prone at this point and that turf will kill him. He was once a great player but there seems to be a cliff athletes fall off of when they get to a certain age. They become a shell of their former selves and just cant do what they once could. Personally I think Reyna's fallen off the cliff.

The money and the allocation could be better spent.

11. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

This is only my opinion, but I think Reyna is the best American to ever play the game. It's sad to see him on the decline, but I feel that a move to MLS will be great for the young players on the Red Bulls. He'll show these guys what it means to be a professional and even with the fall in his level of play, I think he'll still be a handful for the other teams in the league, provided he can stay healthy. Claudio...you're the man!!!

12. pettyfog

I dunno how much of Carlos Valderrama, Reyna saw while he was in MLS... but there's a legend worth emulating. {except for the hair}

He modified his game to what he was good at and turned out pretty effective.

13. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

if reyna grows his hair out and bleaches it....he could resemble Carlos a little bit. :)

14. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Don't forget about the 'stache.

15. WonsanUnited

WonsanUnited New Member

Reyna's officialy back in the States! RBNY!!! I'm sooooo f**cking happy right now, I'm definitely going to see him play this season!

16. dirtyboy

dirtyboy New Member

I’m sure your enthusiasm will dwindle once you see how far he’s declined.

17. WonsanUnited

WonsanUnited New Member

I'm glad he's here because he's going to be the one guiding our young ones. Jozy Altidore, Marvell Wynne, Dane Richards, etc. Sure he's declined, but so has David Beckham. Reyna still has some left in him and he'll do well. As long as he's healthy which he should be. Plus I think he's only going to be making about 400,000 a year.

18. apostolo

apostolo New Member

You're happy after his performance on the World Cup?
    His mentor Bruce will probably hire him (which i think would be a huge mistake, since he will be paid probably the salary of 5 younger and better players).
    He did a good game against Germany in 2002, but other than that has really been SO Unimpressive. I am even surprised that City kept him that long

19. WonsanUnited

WonsanUnited New Member

Damn it! I finally get to see an American soccer legend! Sure he's had his injury problems, but he did just find at the WC. He did pretty well against the Czechs and Italians. He's not as good as he used to be, but he'll do well with the youngsters.

20. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

You couldn't make it up...

Reyna is my sisters new neighbor...yup, he moved to my home town!!!

I told her, next time she see's him to chant, "YOU'LL NEVER PLAY FOR FULHAM"!