Revenge: Guatemala sticks it to Mexico, then breaks it off

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by ChicagoFan, Mar 17, 2008.

1. ChicagoFan

ChicagoFan New Member

I'm not a fan of teams laying down for strategic reasons, but this makes me laugh:

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008/03/ ... -the-year/

2. EricD

EricD New Member

RE: Revenge: Guatemala sticks it to Mexico, then breaks it

It is hard for me to forget what happened in the 2004 qualifiers.
    Mexico was beating us (eliminated us 4-1) and some of their fans started chanting OSAMA.

3. IanHux

IanHux New Member

I find this quite hilarious. It also makes me like our chances of qualifying a lot.

4. bearzfan4lfe

bearzfan4lfe New Member

Wow...that is absolutely fantastic...I only wish we had thought of something this brilliant before Guatamala...

...Oh yeah we did: see the 2007 Gold Cup Final

5. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Serious biz, that revenge stuff. Wars have started for less.
    See: The Futbol War.
    (Okay, not just over futbol, but tensions run high in Latin America.)

6. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Had a green beer or two last night w/a couple of friends who root for El Tri and while they were pissed off at Guatemala they were more upset w/their own coach for not fielding their strongest team. They were saying the papers in Guadalajara were roasting the staff for assuming qualification would happen and underestimating the competition more than demanding an invasion of their southern neighbors. That said the next time Mex/Gaut. get together, it will probably get ugly.

7. Jensers

Jensers New Member

Mexico has to get better for us (US) to get better. One thing I like about Sanchez is that they finally have someone that cares about the long term health of the Mexican Squad. I think he is showing that by insisting players go abroad and not sit back as superstars in a barely better than MLS Mexican League. (Ahem - ala leading PK goalscorer Lando).

8. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

'Barely better than MLS'?!!!

Across their league? I think NOT!