Relegation odds, parachute payments, release clauses. Hope?

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by Jacob, Jan 14, 2008.

1. Jacob

Jacob New Member

I have not completely lost the faith, but we need the Pope on our side to pull out of this mess.

I looked at some odds today and Derby is tipped at 99.99 to go down followed by Fulham at 77.54. The 3rd spot is a toss up, but to most we have been written off. I hope that provides a spark we need.

In the event we go down, can someone explain the parachute payment system and maybe who will be released due to relegation? :(

2. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Re: Relegation odds, parachute payments, release clauses. Ho

Parachute payments are given to the relegated clubs each of the first two seasons after being relegated. The number is based on the TV contracts the Premier League has signed and it is a way for the relegated clubs to ease the financial drop off of losing all of the TV revenue money from being a part of the Premier League. The three clubs that were relegated earned 6.5 million pounds in parachute payments. My guess is that the number will increase a bit each year for those clubs who get relegated.

As for players likely to be released, I would doubt we have many, if any, players who have clauses in their contracts about being released if relegation happens. The club abides by a solid wage structure in which players are not being overpaid and thus I would think that outside of a few players getting sold, they would likely keep the same team going into next season. After two seasons of the parachute payments, Fulham will be back to having to pay all the wages and everything without the league's help. That is why it is so important to try and get promoted the next season after relegation.

3. Jacob

Jacob New Member

RE: Re: Relegation odds, parachute payments, release clauses

Thanks for clearing that up for me. ATL_Iron, obviously a hammers fan, sent me this message today. It was in regards to points accumulated by us at this stage of the season and West Ham last year at this stage of the season.

"Not even close mate. at this time mid January we had 19 points, we did then tie with Newcastle at the end of January to go to 20 points. However we stayed on 20 points and 2nd from bottom until March 17th!!and then we had our run. So you are a long way off it being a certainty"

They also had Tevez to save them. That's why I have been screaming it is so important to sign a very good quality striker in the window.

4. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

RE: Re: Relegation odds, parachute payments, release clauses

Gawd this is getting awful, the more I think about it the more evident it becomes that this is the year we go down. I keep hoping but nothing changes.

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Here's what I'm seeing as I swirl round the drain with the rest of us.

1. Derby is a lock. When their new signings, their coach, and their assistant coach all agree that it's CCC for them next year, that's pretty much dead.
    2. Wigan are staying up. It seemed impossible based on what they had, but the Birmingham City board's incredibly stupid decision to go with the "new owner" and pitch out Steve Bruce has been a windfall for the 'latics. They're not any more talented, but they're playing well, and they'll stay up. Fortunately, this means ...
    3. That Birmingham City are underperforming. Ignore their point at Arsenal; they're on their way down.
    4. Sunderland's high point of the season is over; they're one of the three for the drop.
    5. Middlesboro are only a couple bad matches away from joining us at the bottom, and they're capable of sucking at a moment's notice.
    6. Bolton's revival is over. Anelka has gone to Blue Hades, and Arc of a Diver Cisse is in Africa for a few weeks. They're heading down also.
    7. We need to average 6 points a month for January/May, February, March, and April to have a shout of staying up. That'd be 39 points -- not enough to keep teams up in some years, but maybe enough for us.
    8. The free-fall team -- Newcastle -- is high enough above the drop zone to be safe for the year. But for those 3 or 4 matches a year when Michael Owen is fully fit, they really play sucky football.
    9. We need to beat Birmingham, Derby, Sunderland, for certain, as well as slamming a couple of top-10 sides. And maybe two wins on the road.
    10. Here's your bottom 6: Derby [duh], Bolton, Birmingham, Fulham, Sunderland, Middlesboro. How they line up eventually is anyone's guess. The only cert is Derby going down. Unless we reassemble our feces, they won't be the only side wearing black and white to drop down.

COYW

6. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

"reassemble our feces" - that goes down as an eye catcher.

(Picture me, swirling the drain.)

7. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

I agree donny, but here's three things:

1)Newcastle is joining the party. Unless some Messiah comes and and totally changes the culture there, they're going nowhere but down. Allardyce had his finger on the hole in the dike. Now the levees have broken and their six point lead will evaporate quickly.

2)Reading is not as good as the table suggests. Had Rafa not thrown in the towel a month ago, they'd be right down with everyone else. And they are TERRIBLE on the road. Heck, we're better than them (look it up!). They still have to go Everton, Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea.

3)Boro need to score some goals. They've only registered 2 goals four times this season. If Downing leaves, Sanli will have to do everything himself (which he is kinda doing anyway, but still). The next highest scorer is -- you guessed it -- Mido.

Yes, everything does look really dour. But Fulham still has a chance.

8. Jacob

Jacob New Member

OK I want EVERYONE to look at where West Ham were at March 15th in the Table last year. http://www.whufc.com/page/LeagueTable/0 ... 15,00.html

DEAD FUCKING LAST. -29 GD EVEN FULHAM HAD AN AWAY WIN!!! COME ON I know I started this sad thread, but there is hope, there is prayer and there is hopefully a striker that can save us.

9. Fulhamburger

Fulhamburger New Member

Positive message board attitudes lead to victories on the pitch...this is a well-known and time-tested fact

10. Atl_Iron

Atl_Iron New Member

Re: RE: Re: Relegation odds, parachute payments, release cla

Shame on you Jacob! I will straighten you out on this comment when i see you tonight :wink:

As a life long Hammer i know a bit about relegation having been through it 3 times. Don't kid yourselves there is no loyalty in football nowadays and if you did get relegated the players would have to agree to take a massive pay cut or move on to another club in the top flight.
    We sold our 1st team with the exception of Christian Dailly. With your heavy debt as well it wont be easy

11. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

12. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

Derby practically replaced their team; who knows at this point how they'll perform down the stretch.

Bolton without Anelka will have problems.

Boro without Downing will have problems.

Newcastle is in trouble, though their rumored new manager should have a positive effect.

Sunderland haven't really shown signs of slipping.

Birmingham City looks shaky.

Reading will be fine, based on their good home form.

13. CarolinaTim

CarolinaTim New Member

We don't have to outrun the bear, we just have to outrun 3 slackers......COYW

14. Fulhamburger

Fulhamburger New Member

If we do get relegated will RH still manage Fulham in the Coca Cola Championship?

15. CarolinaTim

CarolinaTim New Member

If "ifs and buts were candy and nuts everyday would be Christmas". Confucious say, "Can't never could". Finally in the immortal words of Richard Pryor "free your mind, and your ARSE will follow!"......sorry, but I do feel better now

16. quickdraw

quickdraw New Member

I'm still in denial. I go in to every game thinking we can easily pull off a victory. My fall from grace is going to be heard all over Ohio come April.

17. Atl_Iron

Atl_Iron New Member

18. DawgTheDon

DawgTheDon New Member

If all these transfers come through, I feel we can finish 16th or 17th. Hodgson will do whatever it takes to keep us up and it seems MAF is giving him the funds to do so.

19. Lyle

Lyle New Member

Fulham, sadly, is likely to drop this year. Derby, like you said, will definitely go down, but they may actually improve and that might have an affect on who goes down.

Sunderland, I think, is the other team that might go down as well. They aren't very talented and Keane isn't bringing in the right kind of players. That said they did beat Portsmouth at home last weekend in nice fashion.

Birmingham might get better in the second half because it looks like they'll be bringing in McFadden and they're bringing in that Murphy guy from Hibs who a lot of people were interested in. They also are getting Samaras from Man City who isn't as bad as people think he is. So I think they might pip Fulham to stay up.

Bolton might struggle for goals now, but they are still a decent enough side to hang on in the second half.

Middlesbrough hopefully will fall apart, but they are pretty talented team and at times look really good.

Fulham just doesn't have a Carlos Tevez that it can turn to and will struggle to score enough points to win games. Dempsey isn't a threat. Healy is not a threat. Hopefully Marlon King will be. We can't rely on McBride at all in the second half, although he might be useful towards the very end once he is totally fit again and has some match fitness as well.

Things don't look good for Fulham at the moment, but we aren't out of it yet. It will be a bigtime struggle though to get out of the bottom three by years end though.

20. Jacob

Jacob New Member

Re: RE: Re: Relegation odds, parachute payments, release cla

Yeah, I would expect the numbers on this message board to dwindle as some of the Americans where sold off. I would still fly out to see the Fulham vs QPHA game! :banana: