Released Players

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by SCFulhamFan, May 23, 2008.

1. SCFulhamFan

SCFulhamFan Active Member

Per Newsround:

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Well, I suppose this was coming.

I'd like to have seen Timlin grow to the point where he might have an opportunity to contribute at the top level, and it's a shame we never got more than a glimpse of Christanval. I really liked him and Boca as a centre back pairing during the two or three matches I saw them play together under CC.

As the article says, these are just folks whose contracts are up. It doesn't mean that's all that's going, just that these are folks who aren't being renewed.

Best of luck to the mighty Ian Pearce. I hope he goes into coaching.

Best of everything to our Captain America. Boca should be able to play regularly in Germany or Holland or Scotland. It's only in the EPL where the blistering pace shows him up. He's been a great member of the Mighty Whites. :(

3. BarryP

BarryP New Member

None of the names on the list comes as any surprise. I think it became obvious that Boca was not going to receive regular starting minutes for Fulham and needs to move on to keep himself sharp for the 2010 World Cup. From the list his departure looks like the only one that will hurt our depth for next season.

4. bostoncottage

bostoncottage New Member

Happy trails and best of luck to all. Hate to lose Boca, but I'd rather see him out on another pitch than on the end of the Fulham bench.
    Wow, we're likely going from 5 Americans to 2 next year! Bring in Jozy, Bring in Jozy, Bring in Jozy!!!!!

5. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Lots of people were predicting that Boca would go so I guess I cant be surprised, but I dont totally understand it. He goes from being the second highest scorer as a defender and from being captain to being released in such a short time. I saw the mistake here and there but I didnt see many gaffs on his part that really explain his dropping out of favor.

I wish he could stay; Terri will be bummed.

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

HatterMom will be bummed also. His name is on her first FFC jersey. The Brits say "horses for courses" in a time like this. Certain horses are just better on a wet track then others are. This doesn't make them better horses per se.

Boca is a little slow on the turn, but is dominant in the air in both penalty areas. Essentially, though, I think that Roy likes the Hangeland Hughes pairing, and feels that Boca is primarily a back up at several positions. And I tend to agree with Roy until I'm proven a fool for doing so. Agree with bostoncottage that regular 90 minutes is preferable than not playing.

7. quickdraw

quickdraw New Member

As much as I would hate to see Boca go, a move to PSV wouldn't hurt his career any. There he would be able to get some European experience as well.

8. Clevelandmo

Yes, I have to trust Woy also because I love him so and because defense in soccer is something I'm having trouble getting my hands around - understanding how it should be played.

9. SCFulhamFan

HOLY CRAP!! It's official:
    http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsA ... eased.aspx

Players Released
    Friday 23rd May 2008
    Fulham Football Club can confirm the following players have left the Club:

Jari Litmanen
    Carlos Bocanegra
    Philippe Christanval
    Simon Elliott
    Ian Pearce
    Michael Timlin
    Ismael Ehui
    Bjorn Runstrom
    Paul Stalteri has also returned to Tottenham Hotspur following the end of his loan spell.

The Club would like to thank the players for their contributions and wishes them all the best for the future.

10. SCFulhamFan

I can't believe they didn't try an secure Salteri. Hopefully Roy has a good replacement in the works.

11. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

I second that -- I wonder if there were any behind the scenes issues we do not know about, because that is the only move that truly dismays me or that I didn't see coming.

Thanks for everything Boca, good luck.

12. krhimself

krhimself New Member

A bit saddened to see Boca go, but I guess it seemed inevitable. He barely got any playing time under Roy and didn't look like he'd have much of a role to play even if he had signed a new contract. He and BMC both came to the club at the same time and there sure have been a lot of memorable moments between them.

Thanks for everything Boca, and best of luck!

As for Stalteri, that was a head-scratcher for me too. Roy must have something up his sleeves if he's just letting him go back to Spurs like that.

13. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

I was amused at a poster on the Offal who wondered if Carlos could get any more playing time at PSV.

Yeah... them Brits, they know their footie, dont they.

-heh

14. Clevelandmo

People on the offal say it doesnt mean Stalteri wont be back; it could just mean they havent agreed to terms yet.

15. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

Sad to see Boca go, but I believe the time was right. He wasn't getting the playing time he wanted and I couldn't honestly say he would have performed better than Hughes. (Although he could of done far better at the 50/50 ball in the air)

Stalteri did a fine job for Fulham, but I think Roy is going to make a move for Finnan. If Fulham signs Finnan then that position is sealed for at least the next two-three seasons. As mentioned by 'mo Stalteri may be back and if he does make his way back to CC he'll be welcomed with open arms.

16. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I'm just wondering if there's time for Boca to be in contract before the USMNT v. England match. If not, he'd be a fool to play. One injury while a free agent could mean the loss of millions to his family.

17. RidgeRider

RidgeRider Member

Re: Staltieri, this brought up a couple of questions for me as I am still getting my arms around how the player movement is handled in football.

when a player is 'on loan', which team pays the contract salary?

Also, if a player is on loan to a club, and wants to stay with the club he has been loaned to, and is still under contract with the club who loaned him, what leverage does he have to stay?

2nd question, would there be a transfer fee if he goes to the the club he was loaned to, if he is still under contract? (my guess is yes)

Thanks for any insight!

18. sublicon

sublicon New Member

Yeah, the list was what we all thought more or less. Best of love to Boca, we still get to enjoy his services, really. I'm going to the Argie match next month!

I hope we bring in Finnan, won't be so sad about Stalteri after that really, though he was a real asset for us this year.

Anyone else glad Volzy wasn't on this list?

19. jmh

jmh New Member

My understanding of loans:

Who pays the player's salary depends on the terms of the loan.

If the player wants to stay, and the loan agreement does not include a buyout clause, the leverage would be no more than any other player who decides he wants to be sold to a different team.

If the player is under contract and is sold to the club he was loaned to, there would be a transfer fee unless the clubs agreed otherwise.

But I could be wrong.

Sorry to see Boca go, and I still think he's better than Hughes, but Roy is the boss and he's earned the benefit of the doubt.

Edit to add: PSV are an interesting possible destination, with Mexico's Carlos Salcido their appearances leader at center back this past season.

20. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

The club that the receives the loaned player, Fulham in Stalteri's case, pays the wages of the player while Spurs holds his contract. The benefit to Spurs is that Stalteri gets first team action, an opportunity to improve, maybe raise his value and they are not responsible for his wages.

In terms of leverage of the club that receives the loan player, they don't have a great amount of influence over the deal. Usually a player that is loaned is deemed surplus to the club that loans the player and they will be willing to part with the player. (Ex. Crespo to AC Milan a few years back or Baros to Pompey) If the club that loans the player performs well in that player's absence they usually aren't opposed to selling the player.

Usually there is a transfer fee for the right to the player's contract. If the player is in his last year he can sometims go on a free transfer, but the transfer of a loaned player is not much different than a normal transfer in football.