President Bush's Speech

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by misswitch2, Jun 29, 2005.

1. misswitch2

misswitch2 New Member

Ok, so i watched what the guy had to say in his national address to America....What did you guys make of it?

2. JohnnyCash

JohnnyCash New Member

RE: President Bush

I think he realizes that his poll numbers are slipping. I also heard that all the applause was started by his staff, and that since applause is contagious, it spread to the rest of the crowd.

I also didn't watch it.

3. mnlandshark

mnlandshark New Member

I watched about 5 minutes here and there... apparently the Republican flag only has 9 stripes on it... which 4 colonies pissed them off? Must be those crazy Northeasterners...

In reality, the speech was a non-event and should never have made it to primetime broadcast. There was no new information in the speech. It wasn't even an address to the nation or press conference. I was waiting to see another "Mission Accomplished" sign behind his head or him in some pseudo-dictatorial military uniform... now that would have been something to watch.

I wonder how the recruiting drive is going at the College Republicans conference taking place right now? Chickenhawks, anyone?

4. Smokin'

Smokin' Administrator

All i know is that the papers said "Bush said Dead Americans are for worthy cause"

I'm wondering which cause he refered to in his speech this time.

5. mike_t22201

mike_t22201 New Member

mnlandshark, i can't believe you're making the idiotic chickenhawk argument. instead of responding myself, i'll link to a post that does a much better job than i could do here in addressing just how ridiculous that argument is.

http://www.proteinwisdom.com/index.php/ ... try/18599/
    (i'd also recommend you read the hitchens article linked to in this piece)

6. mnlandshark

mnlandshark New Member

Actually, the Hitchens article is a good one... but then there's this one that makes the point...

http://www.thenation.com/doc.mhtml?i=20 ... blumenthal

I especially love the guy from Pennsylvania/Texas... he helps prove the point... about 2/3 of the way through the article...

7. mike_t22201

mike_t22201 New Member

What point is that? That he's an immature 20 year hold drunk?

Mnlanshark, do you think that anyone who supports the war, but yet didn't volunteer to serve, is a "Chickenhawk"? I think that both the blog I linked to and the Hitchens article do a good job of pointing out how silly it is to use this rhetorical argument.

8. mnlandshark

mnlandshark New Member

No, I don't think it's just anyone... but the very vocal supporters of the effort (Jonah, Hindraker, Rush, et al.) have done NOTHING to encourage enlistment in the service. They give lip service to the effort being put forth by current soldiers (and I applaud the current soldiers' effort... let's be clear)... but they have done nothing to encourage sacrifice or a call to duty for those who believe in the effort. And why? Because they know that their constituencies aren't going to listen... they think it's someone else's job to go and fight... and the "Oh, I have a job and a family and all that other stuff" argument doesn't work... retired soldiers are getting called back in and are being separated from their jobs, families, etc. well after their commitments have been completed.

My biggest issue with this administration and the war effort is that in every other signficant conflict Americans have been asked to sacrifice. It wasn't until the end of last night's speech that there was the first moment of "Please consider signing up". I give Dubya credit for saying it last night... but it's too little too late... especially since the Armed Forces can't make their recruiting goals... by 40% of the revised number!

9. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

That (need ot sacrifice, for all of us) actually HAS been brought up, but you wouldnt notice it ordinarily... because the only place I have heard it is by interviewees on Hannity Radio (thus the tendency to forget it was said, because Hannity is a repetitious plank) and by Glenn Beck and Boortz a couple times. and neither of those have the audience.

I doubt that the thought hasnt occurred to Limbaugh.. but his editorial content deals with comparative analysis of current and past political issues and stands, primarily ... not in editorializing anything that's open ended.

Thus his silence on open borders. When Limbaugh makes a comment, he also puts himself in danger... I quit listening to him once for a couple years when he made an off-handed comment about a County Hospital being deeply in debt while the Private Hospital up the street was in the black.

But, back to the topic, I cant blame the average guy for NOT showing up in the recruiting office. There is absolutely NO coverage of the things that are going right.

And there are a LOT of positives, but you wont know it unless you read Chrenkoff or the Iraqi blogs.. as an example the Guardian wrote about the recent attack on the Baghdad police station as if it were Tet.. but the Iraq local news noted the police switchboard had 55 calls from citizens with information about terrorist snipers or movement.

http://iraqthemodel.blogspot.com/