Preseason friedlies thread

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by ChicagoTom, Jul 17, 2006.

1. Alex

Alex New Member

It says 'invalid username/password'.

2. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

keep trying, it works

3. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Is everyone still watching the very long Real promo?

4. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Magic! Now live. Why can't every European top flight club manage to do this?

5. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Who came off with the bruised leg?

6. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

I was just about to post that heather...WELL DONE!!!

7. americanmike

Guys, check out behind the Madrid Goal...some England/Fulham flags...very cool.

8. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

any sight of the Americans? I don't think they're on the pitch now.

9. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Only caught the last 30 or so. THANKS DCH!! Bullard puts himself about a bit doesn't he? Shame that cross wasn't to HH or BMcB instead of CJ, but there you are. Timlin looked useful, as did Liam. What's the eval from those of you who saw most of it?

10. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Nope, they were not even in the line-up.

Well, it was a scoreless draw. Our defense looks a lot better than last year. Rosenior looked good, other than that...meh, rather dull match and poor giveaways, typical of pre-season friendlies.

11. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Better than a loss. Hard to see who was who much of the time, but I liked Quedrou's handling of the ball in the back, Liam's work in the midfield, alng with Bullard and Bouba, and while many people are down on John, he's always a threat up front. More organization must be achieved everywhere on the field, but I imagine a large part of that will come once we are at full squad, and the relative starters are given more time to play together.

Glad some of us got to watch that.

12. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I thought our defense played well. Real Madrid obviously controlled a good chunk of the possesion but did very little in creating scoring chances with that possesion.

Our attack was non-existent. I think we had maybe one or two shots on goal. I did like the way Bullard bossed the midfield and made things happen. We were clearly missing our wide players and it showed in watching most of this match.

All in all, I was very happy with the result. If there is any aspect of the team that needs confidence heading into the season it is the defense. I just hope that this was not a one-off and they play like this against Mochengladbach next weekend, Boavista the following weekend and into the regular season starting with Manchester United.

13. americanmike

Friendly Vs. Boavista

Well, Katy and I made it down to The Cottage, and saw of the local regulars at the Golden Lion. The match was good and it was great to see the boys playing again, ableit in wet, cold weather.

My quick opinion on some of the guys:

Bullard: The guy is true class. Was my man of the match, he lead the midfield and had some great ball control and passing.

Brown: Also looked good in midfield, was tough and made a few good hard tackles. Not scared to get stuck in.

Our forwards were quiet for the most part although they all looked fit and strong. Brian was quiet in the second half although won every headball and Runstom has some ability.

Both Liam and Volzy had good games on the right. Volz had one 40 yard run from the right that almost turned into the goal of the season already. Liam must of pushed forward a dozen times which lead to some good crosses.

Diop and Boa were quiet. Pearce and Christanval were good, Zakuani and Zat had quiet matches.

Crossley had a couple of great saves and Niemi was also solid. Niemi was by far the highlight...the Hammersmith end was closed except for the ball boys of course. Well, after the ball boy went up a few rows to retrieve a ball for Niemi, he fell over and went down a few rows!! All you could see was this little hand popping up and waving to say "I'm ok!!". Niemi then went up to get him, picked the poor kid up and cradled him in his arm and they both waved to the crowd. CLASSIC.

I am a bit worried about who's going to score the goals this season but outside of that, our defense is much BETTER.

14. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

RE: Friendly Vs. Boavista

Queudrue?

15. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Good to hear your view of the defense. I was hoping that would happen. Don't worry too much about the goals. It sounds like we'll have solid wing play, and with Papa, Brown and Bullard in the guts of the midfield, I think the strikers will have better supply than they had most of last season. Shutting down the opponents attack is the key. Look at Liverpool last year -- they went about 6 weeks without a striker scoring and still only dropped 6 or 8 points, so solid was their defense.

16. kwdawson

kwdawson New Member

Thanks for the report, good to hear the defense and midfield play well.

17. americanmike

Re: RE: Friendly Vs. Boavista

As Homer Simpson says, "DOH!"

I can't believe I forgot to mention Queudrue. The guy was awsome and my #2 star performer behind Bullard. If yesterday was any indication of whats ahead, then please have no worries about the Left Back position, the guy was C-L-A-S-S. He could defend, under preassure, with out committing and went for goal when he felt he had a good look at goal!

Lastly, something else I wanted to mention was the new kits. I am now a fan. The team looked good in them since they are form fitting...Brown looked a giant in his as did Queudrue and Diop. At the very least we'll have a psychological factor because our team will look like a bunch of body builders.

COYW'S

18. americanmike

RE: Re: RE: Friendly Vs. Boavista

FYI, Bullard took all the free kicks and corners....

19. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Good report. I have to think our spirits are largely up for the first match. COYW!!!!

20. TonyTX42

TonyTX42 New Member

So good to hear that the new boys are fitting in nicely and getting the job done.

As a brand spankin' new fan of Fulham, I cannot explain the excitement that I have over the beginning of the new season. Next weekend CANNOT come soon enough. Being from Houston and a lifelong Astros fan, I've gotten used to highs and lows, so I don't ever expect a Premiership title, but I would LOVE to see the Whites finish in the top 10. Mixed with the Texans' first preseason victory (new coach, new players, they looked GOOD), the Astros in the wild card race, the Dynamo having just dispatched rivals FC Dallas and now Fulham looking good and starting the season soon, it's an exciting time to be a sports fan in Houston who supports Fulham!

Good to know the kits look good, too.

COYW!