Players who should get a shot

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by FFC24, Oct 18, 2009.

1. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

So the US has about 6 months before they really need to find a consistent 23 man roster. They have a weakness at the LB,CB, and forward spots. It wouldn't hurt to find a damn right sided player who can provide a threat either. Anyways, I'l give my list of players and you guys give yours.

Forward

Jeff Cunningham-It seems as though people are coming around to this idea. Can we really let his 17 goal performance go unnoticed? Especially when we have nobody who can do the things he can do? I think not.

Robbie Findlay-A nice player with decent pace and decent goalscoring ability. He's probably not good enough for this level, but this team has pretty bad depth at forward. Can't be any worse than Casey.

LB

Edgar Castillo-If it's true that he can attack with skill and has improved somewhat on defense, then he could be starting next year. I mean, could he really be any worse than Bornstein?

CB

Johnathan Spector-Cherundolo showed he still had it at RB and Spector is a CB originally. It's worth letting him play at this position and see if he can shore up our defense.

Michael Orozco-I'm with everybody else here. You cannot let one shitty play dictate a player's future. For fucks sake, he was the best defender until that play.

I have a couple of questions. How has Igwe played for the Revolution? I remember him being pretty good, but haven't watched nearly enough to form an opinion. Also would it be worth a shot to bring back Beasely?

2. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

I'm not adverse to putting Spector back in the middle, or at least give him a chance. Unfortunately, he doesn't get games there even when he does get off the pine for Spam. Bradley is looking at a very difficult situation. We need to get that back line fixed right away. He has to come up with a plan if Gooch doesn't make it all the way back. Teams with any skill gash us to pieces.

Edu or Jones (even though he appears to be out for another 2 months) need to heal.

Avoid the "Arena Affect". Bruce was overly loyal to players, can you say Jeff Agoos without getting ill?? Bradley has to balance rewarding the guys who helped us qualify versus the guys who deserve to be on the squad.

3. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

I would take Jeff Agoos right now at LB........

;)

4. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

:lol: Wish we had a hurl icon!!!

5. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

I agree, we need a pony tail back in the line up. So its him or Balboa that has to be called back. Either that or we can convince Abby Wambach to grow one and then I'd take her up front.

6. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

I have hardly seen Cunningham so I cant comment. At forward it seems like Davies will likely be a huge loss. As I said on another thread, I would like to actually see how EJ plays now - he still is a soccer player after all. I would still opt for Ching over Casey. They can both get garbage goals, they can both do clever play making, but the thing about Ching is that you know he will always give you everything he has. He will also let it be known when a ref is a cheat - gotta like that.

While I think Orozco should get another look, I dont agree he was the best defender until the red. I thought Marvel Wynne was hands down. He is a speedy guy who can make a difference on the right if you really want one. I know his play isnt the prettiest but he is effective - he was a complete monster in the Olympics.

The troubling things for me are Beasley and Adu. Why cant Beasley get himself out of Glasgow if he isnt going to play? Apparently he's got a new bling line but to my knowledge no time on the pitch. Maybe bling is more lucrative.

Adu has the talent to be a significant contributor; it is so frustrating that he isnt playing. I want him back in the MLS; Europe has hurt him.

7. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

Europe hasn't hurt Adu, Adu has hurt himself. First he makes the mistake of starting out in the MLS even though there was loads of pressure on him and then he goes to Europe and completely fails. I watched some Monaco games last year and he was absolute crap. I mean really freaking bad. He's played a little in Portugal this season, but apparently has done nothing for his team.

What ever happened to Ferrarri? He was supposed to be part of a future porolific attack for the US and it seems as though he has really been bad in Italy. We could've used him as we needed some more talent at the forward spot.

Gotta ask the same about Lee Nguyen. I thought he was pretty damn good and deserved to move to PSV way back when and now what? Geez, this team would be loaded if players would've played to their potential.

8. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

I like Edu at CB better than either Spector or Orozco. Nothing against the latter, but it's too early IMO.

9. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

So if he'd gone to Europe and broke out into a world class player that success would be all on him and have nothing to do with the club, the league, the country, or anything else then right?

10. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

Of course others deserve criticism for the way he has played. The coaching in this country ios probably chief among them. The whole "gotta track back" bullshit hurt him. However, he could've evaded all of the pressure and coaching if he had moved to Europe. His choice cost him big time. Had he moved to Europe, he wouldn't have had nearly the pressure on him and he would've received proper coaching. He must take the majority of blame for making such a terrible decision.

11. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

You mean the "gotta track back" bs that Woy has the Whites do?

Also, he was a child when the MLS decision was made and his parents made that decision.

And hey, Benefica saw something when they signed him, but the good stuff they saw was when he was playing for American coaches.

12. jmh

jmh New Member

Ching is a solid, hard-working target forward; for my money, he's gotta be in the WC squad, as he's clearly the best player we've got in that role (assuming McBride doesn't come out of international retirement, at least).

13. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

Him and everybody else involved made a bad decision. I trust ALex Ferguson more than I do Peter Nowak. Sounds crazy, I know. He wouldn't have had nearly the amount of pressure over there as he did here.

He had talent in the final third of the pitch. A great coaching staff would've worked on this talent instead of focusing on his flaws. Come on now, there was many conversations on this after he started to stink up the place. It was obvious he wasn't getting the proper coaching.

Benfice signed him based on reputation alone. There was absolutely nothing in his MLS play to suggest he was a European player. He had his moments in this league, but he was either terribly overrated or the coaching sucked. I'll go with more of the latter.