Ousting Randy Lerner

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by FulhamAg, Sep 30, 2009.

1. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

There's an online petition making the rounds demanding Randy Lerner sell the Cleveland Browns due to their dismal record under his ownership.

And yet Lerner is widely considered the best American owner in the Premier League both for the success Villa have had and for letting the football people run the football club and not tinkering with the traditions/atmosphere/etc.

So what gives? Makes you wonder how he can do so well abroad and fail so miserably here.

2. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Answer = Cleveland

What is this city good at after all.

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I don't follow the NFL much, but is it possible that the Browns don't have anyone like Martin O'Neil in charge? What makes Lerner almost unique among American owners/directors in the Prem, is that he recognizes that he has people in charge who know their stuff and goes about the business of "what can I do to make their lives simpler/easier." If he doesn't have the quality in the Browns management group that he does with the Villa, then he's got no chance.

4. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

I thought of something - FANDOM. So I hope you will all sign this petition to have Cleveland listed as one of the locations for US soccer's World Cup bid. Since the US has no chance of ever winning a WC, they might as well play at a venue where the fans still love you if you lose.

http://www.gousabid.com/city/local/CLEVELAND-OH

5. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Don't follow the Browns at all, but the only thing he seems to be guilty of is hiring the wrong people (you're right HD, no Martin O'Neil in charge). Lerner isn't a hands-on, camera needy, ego maniac like Jerry Jones or Daniel Schneider (not sure who gets more face time the coach or Jones when a Cowgirls game is on). RL hires people and let's them do their job, but unfortunately they've all been a disaster. The new coach and GM look already to be a colossal failure as well.

6. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

Was O'Neil already in place when Lerner took over? If not, I wonder what if any role Lerner had in bringing him onboard.

7. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Yes... by a couple weeks. It may be that Lerner asked for him to be recruited to manage as a show of good faith, but who knows.

Lerner appears to get along well, the last possible sore spot salved when Lerner announced he would not stand in MON's way if he decided to leave for England.