Our injured captain

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by HatterDon, Aug 19, 2007.

1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Like the rest of you, I'm as sick as a parrot over Brian going down. When I saw the photograph of him clapping the fans as he was being carried off, I just about lost it. What a man.

Here's the thing; I've been reading posts that go from seven months out to three weeks out. I've seen "dislocated kneecap with possible fractures" to "only soft tissue damage."

I'm hoping this thread can be used to provide real updates about Brian's condition -- prognoses, etc. So, if anyone has news articles or medical bulletins about this, can you post them on this thread? Thanks.

Come on you Captain, Macca, McGod, IronHead, Brian, McBadAss [add your own sobriquet here]

2. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

3. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

i'm very skeptical because this is eerily like bullard's injury. everyone thought it was would be only a few months, then it turned out to be the season, then an entire year.

4. FulhamWisconsin

FulhamWisconsin New Member

yeah, he's down, but McBride's a man, not a pansy like so many other sports stars today. Unfortunate, though, that a goal by his new colleague didn't make his goal count.

speaking of which, did anyone realise how good Healy is? All time Northern Ireland leading scorer? I've been watching some Nor'n Ireland fan stuff on him, he's f*cking amazing! He is the striking threat we needed to help Brian out, I think

5. quickdraw

quickdraw New Member

The only positive I can pull from this is he should be back by the second half of the season, and by then we should be able to see if Kamara was a bust or not.

Other than that, there is no bright side to McBride going down. Truely heart wrenching.

6. nmancini04

nmancini04 New Member

I don't really get how anyone can dislocate a knee and only be out 3 months. Maybe I'm being intentionally pessimistic because I don't want my hopes dashed, but I would be surprised if we see Brian again this season.

P.S. I dislocated my shoulder 3.5 years ago and it's STILL not right. Obviously you don't need your shoulder much for football, but I still struggle to see how Bouazza is out for just one month. I wasn't even out of my sling after a month. I think both of these estimates are optimistic.

7. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

nmancini. I doubt if you had the quality of medical personnel at your disposal that McBride and Buoazza will have. Not to mention not having to run things by their HMO before getting a procedure done...

8. nmancini04

nmancini04 New Member

I understand that, but still. A dislocated shoulder is serious business. I wouldn't hold my breath to see Bouazza in a month.

9. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

10. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Like others on here have said, I am having a hard time believing that McBride will only be out for three months and Bouazza only one.

I will go on record as saying I bet we do NOT see McBride until January at the earliest. Possibly even into February or March. There is NO way this guy will be back in three months. It is NOT me being a pessimist, but with injuries like this and him being on the wrong side of 30, it will take quite a bit of time for him to get better and there is also the chance of more structural damage.

As for Bouazza, I would guess he is out 2-3 months. That seems to make a bit more logical sense to me.

I am NOT a doctor, but I have read of others in the past out for much longer because of these injuries. Additionally, I never trust teams when they say how long a player will be out.

11. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

The second video is the clearest we've seen. It does indeed look bad. It may well be part of the man's extensive legend that the last time he touched a ball in first class football, he scored for Fulham.

I hope against hope that I'm wrong, but I think he's kicked his last.

12. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Seems to be consensus that a shoulder disloc is far worse than a knee disloc... question is, does it matter all that much in soccer.

But I agree that 3 months and back would be a miracle... given McBrides role, target/holding off.. I dont think so. too much strain.

13. sublicon

sublicon New Member

I think he'll be better than most think. That was not a Bullard'esque dislocation. His leg didn't bend backwards and sideways the way Bullard's did. He got destroyed.

I think McBride will be back and be okay. Could be months, but we'll see what's up.

14. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

15. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Such a bizarre injury.

McBride obviously was able to put weight on it to get the shot off. Then, it at least LOOKS like the toe of his cleat sticks a little in the turf. I don't know. Certainly an injury that could be disected many different times and ways.

16. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

I have a terrible feeling that McBride may never pull on the Fulham uniform again. At his age recovery time from serious injury takes much longer and will he ever fully recover?

Hoping to see him back for the second half of the season, but I am not holding my breath.

17. richardhkirkando

richardhkirkando New Member

McBride is a cyborg, I'm sure we'll see him again this season. What we will do until then, I'm not really sure. Peter Crouch on loan anyone?

18. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

All the prices on strikers have been raised since Ferguson's been on the lookout for a replacement for Rooney. Anybody good enough to cover for Brian is now way out of our league.

19. jmh

jmh New Member

Crouch is soft.

Of course, so are most players in comparison to McBride.

20. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

Great quote. This is something that helps me get over the fact that he's out for a long period of time, and possibly for good as far as playing for Fulham is concerned.

My other thought is...looking ahead to if he were able to come back...can you imagine the reception he'll recieve when he steps onto the field again...say as a sub...the roar of the crowd...that would be a site to behold!!!