OpED: Oh, Chelsea boy..."You dont tug on Superman's cap

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by pettyfog, Mar 23, 2006.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

'You don't tug on Superman's cape
    You don't spit into the wind
    And you don't go down on the pitch at Fulham
    on the rare day they might win!'

In the words of multitudinous frustrated Irishmen..."Jaysus, Mary and Joseph!"

In all the various views and pious PC mouthings on the offal, the idea stands out that the Chelsea fans who invaded the pitch couldnt help themselves because they were 'goaded'into it by the few Fulham youth who must have gestured obscenely or maybe flashed a naughty signal at them.

Here's the rule I stated on there, and I have always believed.. and I've been to a few high-tension affairs where it might have come up.

A fan of a visiting team that has lost unexpectedly does not go down on the pitch or the floor into the midst of celebrating home crowd because he is 'goaded ' by them.

It falls into the same category as "Fire is hot, dont touch it." "Dont play with that lighter while it's in your pocket." "Dont smoke while pouring gasoline"

Yet when I make that point, I am told I dont make sense!

From all accounts, there wouldnt have been any violence, whatsoever, if no Chelsea fan had gone down there. No Chelsea fan would have gone down there if he had a lick of sense... thus any who did were looking for trouble.

That's not to excuse the kid who decked the boy, but it should not have come as a surprise to him, either.

I just want to cry, sometimes, at the lack of common sense and I dont give a flyin f%%%K anymore if people think I'm patronizing or know-it-all.