Onyewu Watch

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by pettyfog, Jan 5, 2007.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Oooof! - a Loosie!

2. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

3. pettyfog

We'll know in the next day, according to Steve B..
    Gooch has been given 24 hours, so CC can go after Ujfalusi

4. pettyfog

Another day... and not a single new article on Onyewu.

That's GOOD for us.

5. DCDave

DCDave Member

Gooch kills deal to FFC

From Steve B. on TFI:

...can report that the Onyewu deal is basically off. I know it sounds like old news but the player does not want to tie himself to the club long-term. He told Liege that he would prefer a loan deal and that is not what we want. Delegates now flying to Italy tomorrow to try and do a deal for Tomasz.

-----------------------------

His loss. It seems clear that he is either very indecisive or was using us. From what I read in answer to my post on the transfer thread, we'd rather have Tomasz anyway if we can get the deal done.

6. Deucefan

Deucefan New Member

RE: Gooch kills deal to FFC

I'd much rather get Ujfalusi. Gooch reminds me too much of Zat; slow, clumsy and porr passer.
    Ujfalusi is in the top 10 defenders in the world. Great tackler, passer, header and leader of the defense.
    HOWEVER, he will never come to us because honestly, he is too good for Fulham.

7. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

RE: Gooch kills deal to FFC

I have to respectfully disagree with your assessment of Gooch's skills, but I'm afraid you're right about Ujfalusi.

Which leaves us with ???? to reinforce our back line?

8. jmh

jmh New Member

Re: RE: Gooch kills deal to FFC

Steve B on TFI suggests that Sami Hyppia might be our next choice.

9. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

RE: Re: RE: Gooch kills deal to FFC

FFC24's right [on another thread]. He's lost a step and he's a bit of a donkey anyhow.

10. Deucefan

Deucefan New Member

Re: RE: Gooch kills deal to FFC

Maybe I was a bit harsh on Gooch, but he isn't any better than Zat in the couple of games I've seen him.

11. DCDave

DCDave Member

I know there has been some concern on this board about Gooch immediately stepping in and playing 1st team footall at an EPL level, so maybe he wasn't the guy we needed, andyway.

Or, maybe it's just sour grapes on my behalf.

12. pettyfog

So, this morning, the first thing I do is start MB housekeeping, looking at what should be dropped from the Announcements, and I pick this thread... click!... drops down to # seven in the line.

Then I go to T-F-I and Offal, only to find the Blue SKum have opened the box again... and it's all over the press.
    ITV
    Well, I'll wait till I sniff out renewed Fulham activity on him, to tack it back on top

13. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Chelsea negotiations advancing. They seem to want him on loan, which I think would be smart for all parties involved. He gets time with a big team in need and test himself without committing his future to a team that seems to be in leadership chaos.

http://www.chelsea.vitalfootball.co.uk/ ... sp?a=48054

...but then again Onyewu to Chelsea is far from certain

14. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

If he's thinking about a NON-loan situation w/Chelsea, I have 5 words for Gooch:

John Terry

Shaun Wright Phillips.

John Terry is the best central defender in the Prem; if fit he's ever present and Gooch is in the reserves. Shaun Wright Phillips basically destroyed his England place by signing with Chelsea. Moving to Chelsea may make sense to his agent, but it's no good for Gooch's development and no good for the USMNT.

15. BC

BC New Member

Please don't go to Chelsea Gooch! Can't you see what scum they are (through the piles and piles of money)?

16. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

17. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

Sky Sports has just said that Gooch will not being going to Newcastle.

Its really sad to see Gooch's agent whoring him out to anyone that is willing to listen. Bastard.

Fulham was willing to listen and even made a significant offer...its a shame that agents behave in this way and its sad that Gooch seems to be just looking for the highest bidder.

18. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

This is the impression I seem to getting from messageboards, so this is nothing but speculation on my part. I think he really wants to go to Lyon or someplace in Italy? But can't seem to get those clubs to offer him a good deal, at least not until the summer. My guess is he wants a loan deal to show clubs (he really wants to go to) that he can still perform at a higher level.

19. pettyfog

I'm still hanging on what his agent said in that Sky article a couple days ago... I'm not sure the agent's totally behind this.

Here's what I think... He wants to play and play a lot, and he wants exposure.

Most of us think he's gonna star because he doesnt make the same mistakes over and over and has the confidence to challenge.

Making Fulham the perfect team for him

While I STILL think there may be a channel to Fulham re-opened, the problem is that CC has just gotten rid a few with 'attitudes' and is going to be wary of bringing on anyone who looks the part.

So, Gooch and agent would have to come clean about what has been going on, and convince Coleman that, once he signs, Onyewu's all in for Fulham.

Which I believe he would be... but dont think Coleman is going to take that chance.

20. pettyfog

Now here's a slightly different take.. so I'll post it split.

What we've seen of this melodrama is through the media and gossip filter. To Gooch it may seem he's been a lot more straightforward than it appears to us.

He is about to embark on the main part of his professional career, and will be more or less on 'center-stage' and he wants to have the greatest advantage in that venue.

I cant blame him for 'shopping' ... if he has the confidence and cred that he is 'the next big thing', he needs to be where he feels comfortable and is well placed for further advancement, if he's successful.