"Once In A Lifetime"

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by FFCinPCB, Oct 3, 2007.

1. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Fantastic movie about the NASL and the Cosmos.

A realy good lesson that sometimes it can seem like everything is going right, and then, poof, it is all gone.

I may need to watch this again, but I think anyone interested in the administration and management of soccer here in the U.S., on nearly any level, could learn quite a bit by watching and learning about these "shooting star" moments in U.S. soccer history.

2. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

I'll have to check out the film....thanks FFCinPCB.

I admit I thought this thread was going to be about the Talking Heads...

3. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

I just saw it last week. What do you think about the no ties and one on one player/goalie shootouts. The European players seemed to like it.

4. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

I didn't like the idea at first, but then they all talked about how great it was. We would need FIFA and UEFA to put a stamp of approval on it, but it would need to get the nod from the court of public opinion first.

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I thought the idea was stupid. And, although it was fun watching the Cosmos play, the creation of an international superstar team denigrated even further the American players in the league. But, everybody believed in those days that you had to have wildly successful francishes in LA and NYC for a league to get any TV coverage.

How's that whole LA thing working, NFL?

6. MisfitKid

MisfitKid New Member

Yes, check it out, I really enjoyed it. It sent me back to a time that I will remember fondly. There are some funny bits too. Especially Pele's first game with the Cosmos (I won't spoil it), I had know idea, very funny.
    MK

7. jaxcottager

jaxcottager New Member

I have not seen it, is it out on disk yet? I look forward to seeing it. I had the fortune as a young teen to serve in the Washington Diplomats visiting locker room as an attendant during those years. It was a great time. There weren't many "quality" American players back then, maybe Gary Etherington, Kyle Rote Jr and a few others.