Olympics: USMNT & USWNT

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by SoCalJoe, Jul 25, 2024.

1. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Both kicked off today and had the same scoreline. 3-0, with one good and one bad result (care to guess :rolleyes:).

The women scored 3 early (Rodman and Swanson w/a brace), Zambia got a red card after it was already 3-0, so it was a cruise the rest of the way.

The men by all accounts played quite well (the French journalist on espnfc said we were the better team for the first 60) despite the scoreline. However we gave up a soft goal in the 61st, and then hit the post and the crossbar in the next few minutes before France scored again.

2. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

I only watched the highlights, but it also seemed to line up with the assessment of French journalists. I felt like the US keeper could have done better on a couple of those goals, but even with two saves it is still a French win.

3. astroevan

astroevan Well-Known Member

I read somewhere that the French men's team is one of the gold medal favorites (which makes sense when you're fielding Lacazette against a bunch of 22 year olds). I was able to stream most of it, though I wasn't giving it my full attention. The US did well but simply wore down after the hour mark. The good news is the remaining group matches are winnable (I think) and six points should put the team through to the knockouts.

The women looked great. I just hope that only scoring three doesn't come back to haunt them. Their group is strong and goal differential may be the deciding factor in the end.

4. SoCalJoe

The boys take a huge step towards the knockout round w/a 4-1 demolition of the Kiwis.

The girls with easily their best performance under Emma Hayes vs Zee Germans. The score was also 4-1, but a save off the line and a stoppage time goal inflated the scoreline a bit, but this group looks to be motivated after the last World Cup.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2024
  5. SoCalJoe

The Copa is long gone (and good riddance to you know who). The U23 men are on their way to the quarters courtesy of a 3-0 victory over Guinea. Maybe Luna should’ve been there as well, but Djorde has been fantastic.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2024
    MicahMan likes this.
  6. SoCalJoe

The ladies with another great performance v Australia. Yes, other countries have caught up, but when healthy, we got the goods.

7. SoCalJoe

First 45 min down, Morroco up 1-0. Give them credit, far sharper thus far. It’s basically a home game for a physical Moroccan side. They kind of remind me of good South American teams, really physical but are super dramatic divers. Thought the Pk was super harsh, but let’s see if we make adjustments. Huge surprise is Morocco has a 6’6” MF named Amir Robinson. His Dad is Michael Ray Richardson who if your old enough was a NBA scoring machine in the 1980’s, got a drug suspension, and then went to Europe for many more successful years.

All Morroco in 2nd half. They exploited the 2 young fullbacks (Harriel & Tolkien) all day long w/superior talent.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2024
  8. SoCalJoe

The women survive and advance w/a golazo from Trinity Rodman in extra time. Japan came out in an organized 5-4-1, and totally frustrated the US. I got it, the goal is to win the game, but Japan’s plan was to go 0-0 for 120 (dang near worked), which makes for tough viewing. One thing I found a little worrisome is when we were desperate for fresh legs and a spark Emma Hayes didn’t use a sub in regulation time. No matter, it’s off to the semis

https://sports.yahoo.com/trinity-ro...mifinal-after-1-0-win-vs-japan-153721486.html

Scroll down and find the winner.

MicahMan likes this.
  9. astroevan

astroevan Well-Known Member

Agree. Japan made that game almost entirely unwatchable.

We'll see how things play out long term (i.e. post olympics), but I'm not fully onboard with the "we need consistency to build the program" or however Hayes keeps saying it. National teams are unlikely to be able to field the exact same lineup match after match, so you need to have interchangeable parts. Exhausting your first choice lineup may work for the She Believes Cup but I won't be the least bit surprised if the team comes out (and stays) flat against Germany tomorrow.

10. SoCalJoe

Rinse and repeat. Germany went toe to toe w/the US in group play and got destroyed, so they went Japan 5 in the back, but w/a a more dangerous counter. Just like the Japan game, the US w/a great goal (Swanson to Smith) in the first Extra Time, but this time needed a crazy jumping kick save by Naeher (it might of been offside, but luckily it didn’t come to that). Big worry is that’s 240 min of play, what will they have left for Brazil that cruised past Spain 4-2?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...sa-germany-olympics-live-updates/74194842007/

https://www.si.com/olympics/alyssa-naeher-uswnt-golden-dreams-alive-amazing-kick-save

Last edited: Aug 6, 2024
    MicahMan and nevzter like this.
  11. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

That was a crazy save. She jumped way too early so that it had this bizarre result of a kick save at chest height! It wasn't an example of great goal keeping, but still spectacular! Also, I think it would have onside, but mighty close.

SoCalJoe likes this.
  12. SoCalJoe

The demise of the USWNT might have been a bit of an over reaction as the ladies grab gold with a gritty performance and a 1-0 win. Didn’t know too much about Emma Hayes before, but if you youtube her interview w/Julie Foudy this wasn’t a Jill Ellis clone. This is her dream job and her dying Dad told her she must take if offered. Throw in the influx of young talent and we should be contending in the foreseeable future. Here’s the winning goal from Mallory Swanson:

https://www.nbcnews.com/video/mallo...t-u-s-up-1-0-in-gold-medal-match-216897093649

MicahMan likes this.