Offical - Coleman sacked, Lawrie Sanchez in for five games

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by ormondroyd, Apr 10, 2007.

1. ormondroyd

ormondroyd New Member

Fulham Football Club this evening announced its decision to replace Chris Coleman as Manager with immediate effect.

Chris Coleman has provided a fantastic service during his ten years at the Club and it is disappointing that the Club has no alternative but to part company. As a team and organisation Fulham Football Club has goals to attain and success to achieve and by no means can this be compromised.

As part of the re-structure, Steve Kean and Dave Beasant will also be replaced with immediate effect.

After consultation with the Irish FA President Jim Boyce it is agreed that Lawrie Sanchez will join as Caretaker Manager for the remaining five Premiership games of the season.

2. ormondroyd

ormondroyd New Member

RE: Offical - Coleman sacked, Lawrie Sanchez in for five gam

...only now it seems Beasant's name has disappeared from that!

3. youngned

youngned New Member

Shocked is an understatement. I thought Cookie would get us thru this no problem. Sad to see him go.
    Hope Chairman coughs up plenty of dough for next season.

Best of luck Cookie

4. Jacob

Jacob New Member

I now believe we will go down.

5. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

why do this now? the club has tough ties ahead, and now they are to face a relegation battle with a new manager having to create cohesion and stability within the span of five matches. maybe cookie jumped off the sinking ship...

6. ormondroyd

ormondroyd New Member

Remember we appointed Coleman in 2003 with five matches to go, when we were in awful form and looking in serious danger of going down, and immediately we got a massive win. Another win and two draws in the remaining games and we stayed up comfortably. Sometimes a sudden change can stop the rot.

I couldn't see any way but down with him staying to be honest. We really have looked abject.

7. hakeon

hakeon New Member

There has been a dark cloud over our team for a few weeks and I have been wondering when it would unload. Draws were turning into losses – and through it all, I’ve been a fan of CC – but I have to admit that I have been waiting for something, anything, to assure me that somebody, anybody, wanted something, anything, to happen. If this is that right something I will leave to those with more detailed perspectives to say, and for the future to reveal.
    Win or lose, this is my team - but win or lose, I would like to enjoy them as much as I enjoyed Pompy and NewC U this past weekend (though of course, as in these cases, winning is more fun) In short, I want energy and drive – and maybe this stuff is in that job description.

8. youngned

youngned New Member

Players have to respond to this by showing what they are made of.
    Get rid of any player that is not 100% committed.

Reading will suffer I hope.

COTW

9. krhimself

krhimself New Member

I'll be perfectly honest, I can't say that I was too surprised by this development. We were on the fast track to relegation, and things really hit rock bottom against City. It was a must-win game that could very well have decided our future -- and we failed to deliver.

Ultimately, I think his inability to fix our defensive woes and find adequate replacements for our departing players became his downfall.

10. SCFulhamFan

SCFulhamFan Active Member

After watching the Man U arse kicking of Roma I am still even more shocked. Wow. Rally the troops Lawrie Sanchez! S S S is for Sanchez!

11. youngned

youngned New Member

MAF has alot to answer for.

Cookie cannot be blamed for selling so many good players like Boa and Steed.
    can he?

12. ormondroyd

ormondroyd New Member

Re: RE: Offical - Coleman sacked, Lawrie Sanchez in for five

No, but when four million quid goes on three players who don't actually play (Runstron, Zakuani, Dempsey) then one has to question it. That money could have bought a quality centre back for the team, and maybe left enough for Demspey anyway.

13. AtlantaJohn

AtlantaJohn New Member

CC

Just read the news on the web site, feel very sorry for CC, I think he will make a very good manager one day at the right club, always thought he talked honestly with a passion for the game and the team, feel he as been let down by the players who have not done the business, he as also fallen because of the money. Football is business, you dont get the results no matter what the excuses you are gone, look at Chelsea, they sacked their manager and all he did was finish second. Dont know if this new guy will be able to get any results, as a Fulham fan i hope so, but one way or the other get ready for big changes in personnel, with a lot of our favourite players leaving for pastures anew. Anyway I think Fulham as a club and as fans should say thank you to CC he as been a great ambassador for the club, and I for one am sorry to see him go, and especially the way he went, but alas thats business, both in football and the real World.

14. DCDave

DCDave Member

RE: Re: RE: Offical - Coleman sacked, Lawrie Sanchez in for

I think Coleman was a good manager but that his firing was justified. Sounds strange? The best managers/coaches usually hit a point where they are not effective anymore, where a change is best for all. I expect Cookie to be a manager for another team by the end of the calendar year, probably before the beginning of the 2007-08 season, and I will be a fan of whatever team he joins.*

However, Sanchez seems to be pretty good. I know we're borrowing him for a couple of months, but is there a chance if he pulls a Coleman (see spring 2003), he could become the full-time amanger? Would you like to see that?

*Offer not good for Chelsea, ManU, Arsenal, Spurs, Cardiff City, and a few other clubs. Your mileage may vary.

15. BC

BC New Member

Holy S**t! I couldn't believe it when I read it. Cookie is gone. I really liked him as a manager even though results of late have been poor. I guess the higher-ups in the Fulham organization have decided to make some big time changes, which we do need desperately. Hopefully this change will give us the boost we need to stay up.

16. Optimizer

Optimizer New Member

I suppose having 2007 that's only slightly better than Watford isn't a good thing for one's career.

I'm surprised in a way, considering how he was able to get some amazingly strong performances against teams one would think would simply manhandle Fulham. On the other hand, against teams the team should be competitive in, Fulham's gameplan isn't up to snuff and the team isn't as "inspired" or "motivated" or whatever you call it. That sort of inconsistency really can't be tolerated regardless of who the manager can/does buy and sell.

Nothing is settled with Fulham, relegation is not a guarantee; so let's try to be positive - even though it will change little. Better that than to be be negative about the situation, as that won't change anything much either.

17. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

ok, i see the "change is good" thread developing. agreed in change, i'm just rather stunned at the timing. but, it has also been pointed out that it is at least a two pronged restructuring required of the club: management and players. new players need to be brought in if they want to revert the present course, or else the new manager is being set up as the next cookie by a management that is justifiably preceived as mid-table complacent. we shouldn't be convinced this crop of players is better than the dregs of the epl. it wasn't cc's fault this club has shown its talent to be indistinguishable from the wigans, charltons and sheffield united's of the league.

18. mateo1236

mateo1236 New Member

Was really pulling for Cookie to stick it out, and pull us through in dramatic fashion and all that other hollywood stuff. Can Sanchez be that committed to the cause? On the one hand, if somehow we blow it and make the drop, he's right back to Belfast sitting pretty with Norn Iron, if he keeps us up, he might get offered Premiership big bucks, so what's he got to lose? I just don't see the commitment needed, but I won't question a man tactically who has N. Ireland at the top of the table! Is Healy available on emergency loan? Please?!

19. andyns

andyns New Member

Quite a shock. I liked Coleman, but maybe it is time for a change. I feel a bit empty inside, or maybe that is still leftover from Monday.

20. sfm

sfm Member

Lawrie Sanchez has been brilliant for Northern Ireland. They played Sweden with pace, purpose and passion. When was the last time a Fulham side truly "punched above its weight?" If he were truly risk averse, would he have risked his burgeoning reputation to join a relegation battle? We are lucky to have him.

Chris Coleman's comments in the Daily Mirror a fortnight ago that he might like to try managing in Europe -- presumably not with FFC-- someday and reflecting on the acheivement of his four year tenure in the context of a small club budget suggest some self awareness his end was nigh. When combined with the rumours on his personal life, perhaps he did not need to be convinced too hard to step aside. Surely he would have liked to prove the Terraces wrong but he just as surely saw this coming, as have his players. not doubt

A man's strength is oft related to his weakness. The grit and stubborn determination which made him so imposing a centre-half and saw his return for Wales v Germany may have manifest in his blinding adherance to 4-5-1 post Saha or his recruitment of technically proficient but non cutting edge and ultimately duplicative midfielders (Eliot, Davies, Dempsey..)

He was a fantastic servant of this club. I sincerely wish Chris Coleman all the best and am sure he will be successful managing somewhere in the near future but Lawrie Sanchez is the Gaffer who just might keep us up this season.