...No USA players @ Fulham - would you still support them...

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by LBNo11, Apr 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LBNo11

LBNo11 Member

...it is possible that the new permanent manager may sever the link twixt Fulham FC and the USA - so, having seen the "Fulham for Life" Japanese posts when Junichi Inamoto joined us, and the subsequent mass exodus when he left, would your interest in FFC taper away and your loyalties be turned to EPL teams with yank players in them if FFC no longer turned out USA players..?

2. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

RE: ...No USA players @ Fulham - would you still support the

My interest in this club has nothing to do with the US players on the team. It is nice to have some US players, but if none were on the team I would still cheer for Fulham with everything I have.

I would guess there would be quite a few who would jump ship if there were no Americans, but I might be wrong on that statement.

3. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

In a word NO

Not in my case and in the case of many others on here.

Fulham til I die

4. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

So Spencer, you would NOT be a Fulham supporter if the Americans left? Am I reading your post correctly?

5. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

great post and subsequent questions....

No. I began supporting Fulham because of the Americans...mainly McBride...but they are now my team and I will always support them first and foremost, even though i like to see the other teams with Americans do well. So my loyalty to FFC will not taper away and I will always support the club no matter who is wearing the black and white. COYW!!!

6. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

This question is insulting (but I completely understand why it was asked).

In response to the question of "Would I still support them (FFC)?", ABSO-FREAKIN-LUTELY!!!!!

7. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Re: RE: ...No USA players @ Fulham - would you still support

err no

He said: "would your interest in FFC taper away and your loyalties be turned to EPL teams with yank players in them if FFC no longer turned out USA players..?"

I said "In a word NO

Not in my case and in the case of many others on here.

Fulham til I die"

Meaning no my interest in FFC would not taper away and my loyalties would not be turned, regardless of if they had Americans or not, many others on here would be the same way and that I'm Fulham til I die :D

8. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

RE: Re: RE: ...No USA players @ Fulham - would you still sup

I have the disease and not even cowbell is the cure. FTID.

And, yes, I am insulted by the question.

9. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

Obviously you read his post wrong but if you spent a few matches with Spence as I did this winter, you would never question his loyalty.

He did us all proud...right Spencer? Come on, who could forget 4,000 Fulham fans singing of "Stick the blue flag" and us at the back of the stand jumpin' around like kids...classic.

10. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

What you need then, is more cowbell...

No need to be insulted, folks, probably a number of us initially choose FFC because of the U.S. presence. Or the tenuous link to Princess Di, oh well, to each their own...

11. Martin-in-Nashville

Martin-in-Nashville New Member

I understand the question, but I'm wondering why you would ask it in the first place?
    Anybody who jumps ship should this happen is not a true supporter of this club and or any other they care to "Join".

True supporters stay loyal to one club through thick and thin and I dont care weather your American Japanese or French.

I support FULHAM FOOTBALL CLUB and I'm proud to say it's my town of Birth.

In fact my blood runs Black and White should you want to know.

COYW's

12. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Not I, since I've come back I'm prone to singing that song in my head as well as others while in the shower, walking home from the bus stop, or just sitting on the couch and occasionally without noticing actually start singing it out loud rather than just running it through my head.

You couldn't blame anyone who might happen to hear for thinking I was off kilter, and slightly mad, singing some obscure song about sticking a blue flag up your ass :oops:

13. Jux

Jux New Member

Re: RE: Re: RE: ...No USA players @ Fulham - would you still

Well said. It definitely brought me to the club, but it isn't why I will stay. If I had intentions of jumping a bandwagon, I'd probably be wearing a Manure or Chelski shirt right now.

This thread isn't much different than one that might question changes in loyalty if we were relegated. Let's save time and not start that one too.

14. LBNo11

LBNo11 Member

...frankly I'm amazed at the responses regarding why the post was made and that you consider it insulting - is it not a valid question with a valid example of the reasons behind it given?

Well guys it is easy - I'll pull the post if you are that sensitive...

15. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Re: RE: Re: RE: ...No USA players @ Fulham - would you still

Its a valid question. Its just has a "well your American, your probably not a real supporter" feel to it. Seeing as many on here have invested enormous amounts of time, money, and emotion, waking up at 6am to go to a pub showing the game or fly across the ocean and support our team, you can see why they'd be sorta rubbed the wrong way when asked .."so are you really a real supporter".

That said I can see why you asked the question, if tables were turned I would to. But generally I'd say questioning ones fandom is akin to questioning ones morality or sexuality, it tends to produce some passionate answers.

16. LBNo11

LBNo11 Member

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: ...No USA players @ Fulham - would you s

...Spencer, I can also see your point, but the reason for the original question was a question that should be asked in view of the example given. A similar question was asked of the fans of Junicho, they all pledged undying loyalty to the club, their undying loyalty was in fact to Junicho and with the rare exception they abandoned the club and followed WBA.

Well, nearly 100 views and only 7 positive statements of commitment, so would you say that those of you who replied are indicative of the majority?

If you still find the post insulting I will leave Pettyfog to use his discretion as to whether to pull it or not...

17. FulhamCMH

FulhamCMH New Member

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: ...No USA players @ Fulham - would you s

Leave it up - it's a good thread for some introspective thought. Naturally, most of the frequent posters in here are heart and soul for Fulham and will strongly reply so, but this is Fulham "USA" afterall and the American players have been a priority draw to the club for many here. Some will leave with the American players if it were to happen, and there's nothing wrong with that if that's why they follow the club. Suppose someone is a Tennessee football fan and big supporter of Peyton Manning. Naturally they'd pull for the Colts to support him in the pros. But if Peyton were traded to the Browns (let me dream here), what's wrong with that fan no longer supporting the Colts if the sole reason they did so in the first place is no longer with the club? Nothing. It's the same as the hypothetical situation we're discussing of USA soccer fans who are here primarily to support the 3 Yanks and would they stay if there were no more Americans on the club.

My response to the original question? Heck no I wouldn't ditch FFC! Not with an American exodus. Not with relegation. As somewhat disappointing as my first campaign supporting the Whites has been from a performance standpoint, it's still been a blast!

Here's another to feed the rabid masses: if Fulham go down (please, no!), would you support another team in the Premiership next season?

18. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Well said, young sir. Will someone take down Spencer's "draw king" title and replace it with "Defender of the Faithful?"

19. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Would I have been a Fulham Fan if not for McBride... probably not.

Would I still follow them if all yanks left, probably. they are very much like the Crew. Except more upscale.

I thought at the first of the season, I'd be more interested in Villa because they are owned by the guy who owns Cleveland Browns.. find I dont care much about them. Thought I'd care more about Reading as they were spectacular last year and I picked them to stay well ahead of relegation. But I dont really care.

When you follow a team, you REALLY associate yourself with the fans of the team, and the ambience of it.

THAT is the community aspect!

And we dont pull or lock threads like this one, especially for valid questions.

I dont find it insulting at all. So there!

Draw King? Now that's different .. who gave him that...Tom or Mike?

20. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

probably? What kind of fecking answer is that!!!!

That was me after Spencers trip to blighty...Fulham drew every game he saw. As a side note, Spencer saw me in 'football mode'...

Lastly, I think this is as valid as a thread as they come although I wouldn't expect anyone to post and simply say 'no, I won't follow them.'

This club, though, does have a way of connecting with fans due to its tradition and Craven Cottage specifically.