Newbie from Little Rock, Arkansas

Discussion in 'FulhamUSA Introductions and Announcements' started by Hard_Drinkin'_Lincoln, May 25, 2007.

1. Hard_Drinkin'_Lincoln

Hard_Drinkin'_Lincoln New Member

I've been registered for a while, but I'm getting off the fence and join up with Fulham supporters here in this country. I've been a fan of English football since the increased broadcast exposure to matches started filtering down South in the 1990s. I fell in love with the game before I did with a club, and so I've never been able to choose any one club before. Fulham are one of many clubs whom I've followed and wished well over the years, starting with a fortunate visit to Ormondroyd's virtual match reports (The Andy Morrison-themed reports from that era remain some of the funniest things I've ever had the good fortune to read!).

This site has done more for getting me off the fence than anything else. A group of committed Ex-pats and Americans going against the herd mentality and supporting an underdog will always work for me. I've seen sites over here offering support for the Liverpools, Celtics, Man Uniteds, and Arsenals of the world. But I haven't seen one of them as energetic as what you'll find on FulhamUSA. Fulham mean something more to you and as supporters you are behind it regardless of what happens on the pitch. I want to be a part of that from here on in.

2. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Well said.

Welcome aboard and hold on.

3. GaryBarnettFanClub

GaryBarnettFanClub New Member

Hi HDL,

The fence is uncomfortable and there will always be room for another in the Hammersmith End.... Enjoy.

4. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Welcome HDL. Hopefully the Whites performances won't cause you to envoke your moniker too much. Have to say the one weekend I spent in your great city was certainly a good time.

5. Hard_Drinkin'_Lincoln

Hard_Drinkin'_Lincoln New Member

Thanks for the welcome guys!

The fence I was sitting on certainly became uncomfortable. It would've been nice to be a fan of a club from the get-go (I grew up a fan of College football and the Tennessee Vols my family always followed over in Knoxville, so the tribal aspects of football proper are not entirely lost on me.). But my regular exposure to English football didn't arrive until my late-20s. I felt like I had to learn about the game, its history, and the fan culture before I could choose any one club. The easy path would've been to take the top of the table and work from that point. The road less-travelled in this instance has proven more rewarding.

I'm too old, too married, and too paternal to get into the party scene here in Little Rock (I envy you in that regard, SCJ.). I can tell you this is the best restaurant town I've ever lived in for the single-proprietor, "mom and pop" type of eatery. As my waistline can attest, it is quality!

6. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

Welcome HDL and you made a great choice. Also, great avatar.