New Premier League Squad Rules

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by jmh, Jun 21, 2010.

1. jmh

jmh New Member

I don't think we've discussed this before; forgive me if we have and I missed or forgot it.

For those who aren't aware, the Premier League is instituting new squad rules for 2010-11. In short:

1) Squads are limited to 25 registered players (to be finalized at the end of the summer transfer window, opened during the January transfer window, then finalized again at the end of the January window). Players 21 and under do not count toward the cap.
    2) A club's match day squad of 25 players must contain at least 8 "home grown" players, who must have trained at an English/Welsh club for three years prior to the age of 21. (In other words, "home grown in country" not "home grown at club".)

Looking at our current squad, there are 28 players listed. That includes Smalling, who is on his way at the start of the window, and Nevland, who is also, and Okaka, who is young enough not to count against the cap. So the current squad would be fine, but if we were to add someone else he would have to be under 21 (as of January 1st 2010) or would have to replace someone in the current squad (which might include Shorey leaving at the end of his loan, Andranik or Stoor leaving, one of the backup keepers being loaned out, etc.). Players who would count as home-grown include Kelly, Konchesky, Baird, Johnson, Stockdale, Murphy, Duff, Hughes, Etuhu, Zamora, Davies and Senderos.

So, what does this mean going forward? Well, if you're Chelsea and you have 37 players in your squad, it means you have to trim it down. If you're Arsenal and you've only got four English/Welsh players in your squad, I think it means you need to sign your non-English youngsters younger so that they count as home-grown. I think the "England premium" goes up, but not a whole lot. It means our Development Squad won't be playing in the Reserve League next season, though I'm not sure why they felt continuing as they were would be a detriment to the club's ability to comply with the new rules.

Thoughts?

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Josh, I think you'll find that most of Wengers foreigners will fit in under the system. Players like Senderos and Fabregas came over when they were babies.

3. jmh

jmh New Member

Senderos and Fabregas did, but a lot of them didn't. Diaby, Sagna, van Persie and Eboue for instance seem like they've been with Arsenal forever but weren't young enough when they joined. Going forward it Wenger is going to have to be sure to grab them when they're 16 or 17 instead of 18 or 19.

4. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

'Arry eliminated the reserve squad for Spurs last year, opting to loan out players instead. We just did but I bet many others, will start doing the same.

Perhaps loaning out players is a loophole to the requirements?

Surely 'Arry would know all about those.