NCAA Hoops

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by ChicagoTom, Mar 12, 2005.

1. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

So, it is the best time of the year for College Hoops. And when I say hoops, I am not referring to Fulham's ugly London neighbors, QPR. Which teams does everyone like? Who do you want to win the NCAA Tourney?

I am pulling for Duke!

2. JohnnyCash

JohnnyCash New Member

I am no longer talking to chicagotom

3. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

RE: Re: NCAA Hoops

LOL Johnny! Who are you cheering for?

4. BostonDan

BostonDan New Member

Well I wouldn't necessarily stop talking to him but I'm surprised at his poor taste.

I like the two orange teams - Syracuse and Illinois. Not sure which one yet. Have to watch out for Georgia Tech.

5. JohnnyCash

JohnnyCash New Member

I grew up in MD, so i'm a terps fan, but they stink.

I guess i'm gonna have to pull for ACC, except for Duke. I like Coach K and have a lot of respect for him, but after sitting near the floor for the ACC tournament and hearing some of the stuff come out of the Duke players mouths, i have more disdain for them now than I ever have.

I've watched a lot of hoops this winter, and i can honestly say that I've got no clue this year. Illinois could lose second round. A 5th seed could win the whole thing...who knows this year.

6. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Interesting Johnny. What were the Dukies saying? I have never been close enough to hear what people are saying to one another.

7. Smokin'

Smokin' Administrator

I suppose I'd like to see Syracuse do it. Two years ago they surprised me with some very mature play and it was a great finals.

I dont mind the Terps either, as I have a beastial affinity with turtles and i once got in a MD girls pants by routing for them vs. Duke ;).

Either way my fanship lies with no one. So call me a cinderella lover, cuz i would if she let me.

8. JohnnyCash

JohnnyCash New Member

dukies just had really foul mouths, plus they were playing UVA and talking smack to them after being up about 15 points. UVA was LAST in teh ACC, Duke's supposed to beat them, don't rub it in and talk shit after you've already beaten a team that's down.

I guess its nothing too bad or something that you don't hear on any other court in the country, except peopel have this perception of duke as being really clean cut and nice boys, but they're definately not

9. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I agree with what you are saying about Duke not being angels and nice guys like people think they are, but what team in the country is this way?

But then I must ask you the question of why you hate Duke? Or not just you, anyone? I can understand why Johnny would not like Duke as he is a Maryland fan, but what about the rest of you?

I like Duke because my friend lives down there in Durham and knows a lot of the players. He has had nothing but nice things to say about the program and the way these guys treated him. That includes Coach K. He really got to know some of them on the current team and from older teams.

While all players and coaches have their faults, I think a lot of people rag on Duke because simply...they are successful year in and year out. People can say what they want about JJ Redick, but the guy is simply a stud!

If I heard the abuse that he and some of the other Dukies took, I would shit talk any team I played regardless of their rank.

I am cool with people slagging on Duke if there is a legitimate reason. I despise my fair share of teams as well. And surprisingly to most of you, the team I despise more than any other is my very own University of Illinois. I have and always will hate this team. It is something I have grown up with and not a recen thing.

Rather than Duke winning the tourney, I am just hoping Illinois does not win it!!!!

10. JohnnyCash

JohnnyCash New Member

My hatred for duke is twofold. My family is from NC, while i haven't lived there for any long period of time, they are all UNC fans. then i grew up in MD rooting for the terps, but had a soft spot for the heels my whole life. Thats basically forbidden up around here, but i don't really care. they both do hate duke.

Funny thing is that out of high school i was accepted to Duke but didn't go, i guess that would have changed my opinion if i had about $120,000 in tuition money riding on the college i rooted for

I agree, people dislike duke because they're good, and duke generally beats their the team they like. That goes for all teams though, yankees, lakers, chelsea.

i've never met anyone that's hated fulham but i wish i did.

11. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Re: RE: Re: NCAA Hoops

I met some Chelsea fans in London recently and they did not have a bad thing to say about Fulham. Fortunately for myself, I zipped my mouth as I had a lot of nasty things to say to them about their club.

12. martin

martin New Member

I am a Georgia Tech alum so I pretty much can't stand Duke. It's in part because they usually beat us, but also in part because they always have that one player on their team that I can't stand. Currently it's Redick, but there is a long line of these love-to-hate guys: Leattner, Hurley, Chris Collins, Wojo, Danny Ferry, probably some I am forgetting.

That said, I will pull for Duke, and any ACC team, in the tournament. My Yellow Jackets have a tough road with a potential second round game versus Louisville. But I like the way they are playing these days. Lets Go Tech!

Cheers,
    Martin

13. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Martin,
    I am from Chicago as you can guess with my name and I have been a big Will Bynum fan since he was a youngster in high school. My buddy and I went to a few of his games when he played at Crane here in the City. It has been nice to see him blossom the last two years. That game he had against Carolina last saturday was unreal!

14. martin

martin New Member

Yeah, Bynum can play. When he is on he can totally take over a game like he did against Carolina. He sometimes disappears, though. He needs to step up in the tournament, especially if Jarrett Jack's ankle is less than 100%.

15. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

RE: Re: RE: Re: NCAA Hoops

Ohio U gets to Sweet sixteen... other than that, I cant work up any enthusiasm this year.

And, no, I dont esp follow Ohio State, either... just cant get in tune with Collich BBall for some reason... maybe it's Fulham's fault.

16. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Bynum is a very inconsistent player. I think he flourishes in the role of being the man on the team. If Jack is hurt, Bynum will do well in picking up the scoring slack. However, I would not be surprised to see your Jackets get bounced in the first round!!! We will see! The madness begins tomorrow!

17. martin

martin New Member

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: NCAA Hoops

I cannot tell a lie, George Washington worries me a bit. They are playing well and 12 seeds have a history of beating 5's. Tech better not be looking ahead to Louisville.

18. Ivor

Ivor New Member

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: NCAA Hoops

Go Wake Forest...Number one baby....number one....Wooooaaaa......! God I need a Milwaukee Best......!

19. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: NCAA Hoops

You like that stuff? or is this a reference to Wisconsin-Milwaukee beating Alabama?

20. dukefandave1

dukefandave1 New Member

For all of you Duke haters-

1. I welcome your hate, it means we are good, like we always are.

2. God forbid a basketball player have a foul mouth. No other NCAA athletes swear or trash talk. You might want to come up with a better argument like....they kick our ass a few times a year and I'm sick of it.

3. I'd take a Duke hater any day over a Duke fan who claims to be a "Huge Duke basketball fan" but doesn't know a damn thing about Duke football, the school, etc. Such people are Glory Hunters as Chicago Tom would say. They are the same folks who love the Yankees, Tiger Woods, Man U, and the Patriots....but before the Patriots they loved the Cowboys.