My 1st EPL game: Fulham v Spurs 9-1-07

Discussion in 'FulhamUSA Introductions and Announcements' started by FlatulentFoxxx, Sep 3, 2007.

1. FlatulentFoxxx

FlatulentFoxxx New Member

Hello all-

I just registered, and am a first time poster. I just got back from my first trip to the UK where I went to the Fulham v. Spurs game with my friend who lives nearby in Wimbledon. I adopted Fulham as my EPL team a year ago when my friend moved there since I knew I would be getting over there to see a game and drink some beers at some point. And what a first game it was!

On the way to the game, there were tons of smug Spurs fans laughing it up, and gloating in anticipation of an easy 3 points. Pride goes before the fall.

Directly before the game, my friend and I were having a beer and surmising that there was no way this game would be 3-3, and would either be low scoring and close, or a total blowout for the Spurs. The previous weekend, my friend and I and the wives were in Edinburgh where we were kicking ourselves for not having gone to a Hearts game that ended up 3-3, and we lamented that this game would probably not be as exciting. I'm happy to have been wrong (though it would have been cool to see the Hearts game too).

We sat in the home fan section right behind the goal. (I uploaded a pic to the media page). 4 of the 6 goals went in that net, including the overhead bicycle kick from Kamara in the 89th minute. I could hardly have hoped for a better first game (except if Fulham had won). The Spurs fans were so loud until the 89th minute, and so it was sweet to sing "You're not singing anymore!" and then "You were up 3-1, then you f***** it up!" at the end. It was also great to walk back to Fulham Road with the boisterous Fulham fans and see the Spurs fans being held back in the stadium with their long faces peering at us.

I'll say this about the Spurs, though, when they had the ball they were dangerous, as anyone watching the game no doubt appreciated. It also didn't help that Niemi was terrible, and was out of position on just about every dangerous Spurs possession. The common wisdom is that the Spurs' coach Jol will be fired before the next fixture.

Anyway, that's my report from the field...er...pitch. I'll be checking the boards throughout the season now that I stumbled on this site.

2. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Good one, FF... welcome aboard!

Pardon me for relocating this on the 'welcome' subforum. A very good introduction.

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

welcome aboard, pard; and congratulations on a fantastic "baptism of fire." Looking forward to more posts from you in the days to come.

4. FlatulentFoxxx

FlatulentFoxxx New Member

You bet. Btw, I am in D.C., so hopefully I can catch some games and beers with some of you one of these days.

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

There's a very big DC area group on the board, so you should find some kindred souls from time to time.

6. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

Welcome to the forum. Great news to read that you recently attended your first Fulham match. A bit envious, but I will be getting to see my first match in person very soon. The admins have put together a fantastic site and hopefully you find some DC Fulham fans to meet up with you for matches.

7. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

Welcome Fox and thanks for posting that! I was sitting about 25 rows up from you and have to say that I only celebrated that much after a goal (Kamara's) maybe once or twice since being a Fulham supporter.

A great match to attend and a great comeback. Welcome to FulhamUSA and more importantly, Fulham.

Also, get in touch with the DC'ers...a great bunch they are.

8. MisfitKid

MisfitKid New Member

FF, Welcome. Thanks for sharing.
    MK

9. quickdraw

quickdraw New Member

It was a great game indeed. One every Fulham fan should be proud of. It takes a lot of guts to pull back even in a game like that.

and speaking of Kamara's goal. It was on ESPN's play of the day countdown. My dad was shocked at such a goal.