Mourinho leaves Chelsea?!

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by DCDave, Sep 19, 2007.

1. DCDave

DCDave Member

From the BBC Website:

------------------------------------

Manager Mourinho leaves Chelsea

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho has sensationally left Stamford Bridge, according to BBC Radio 5live football correspondent Jonathan Legard.

The news comes just 24 hours after the disappointing Champions League draw against Rosenborg.

Legard understands that Mourinho has texted senior players, including skipper John Terry, with the news of his departure from Stamford Bridge.

There has been no official word so far from the Premiership club.

2. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

3. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I am shocked this happened at this time. I figured the Mourinho era at Chelsea would end after this season but I did not think it would happen in the middle of this season.

I am quite certain there was a major rift between Mourinho and Abramovich. It seemed as though Abramovich was intent on Chelsea playing more entertaining this season and in addition he wanted to see more of Shevchenko on the field.

That being said, if that is the case, I side with Mourinho. If Abramovich hired him to manage, he should let him do his job and not mettle in team decisions and squad selection.

It will be interesting to see what unfolds over the next few days at Chelsea with their match against Manchester United on Sunday and then a visit from our beloved Fulham on the 29th.

4. BarryP

BarryP New Member

It will certainly be interesting to read all the speculation in the morning.

5. Optimizer

Optimizer New Member

Well, I'm glad Laurie won't have to attempt to outthink and outplan SPECIAL ONE!~!~!!111 Mourinho.

On the other hand, they're still Chelsea even if Sigi Schmid is the guy behind the bench.

I wonder if the new coach will try to get Chelsea to open up and attack more often. That would be something I would not really want, to be honest.

6. Lyle

Lyle New Member

This is absolutely unbelievable. Can't believe he quit. I actually like Mourinho, even if he coaches Chelsea. He's very good at what he does. Loves his players. He's an ass to the media, but not his team... totally dig it.

The Premier League will be something a little less without him in it. Fucking Abramovich is a loser and is responsible for creating the mess his team is in.

I think they might drop out of the Champions League this year, i.e, get relegated out of the "Big Four".

7. nmancini04

nmancini04 New Member

I am absolutely stunned. I'm speechless actually. Doesn't your heart just bleed for Chelsea fans? :banana:

8. krhimself

krhimself New Member

Abramovich and Kenyon have done the seemingly impossible -- they have turned Mourinho into a somewhat sympathetic figure. They still have the class/money players on the team, but they'll surely be in a state of shock for a while.

No matter, I won't be sending any "get well soon" cards to them in the near future.

9. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

As an FFC fan, I'd speak to both Hosey and Kenyon by quoting Mercutio, "a plague on both your houses." They're both insufferable.

10. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

"Your not special anymore!"

I actually really like Mourinho. Such a carchter! I hope he stays in the prem but suspect he won't.

He doesn't seem like the type to be pushed around and it appears thats what was going on. So good on him for quiting.

11. GaryBarnettFanClub

GaryBarnettFanClub New Member

His record is outstanding 2 league, 2 fa cup, 1 leage cup.
    At home (in the prem), P60, W46, D14, L0
    In his Chelski career W124, D40, L21

I hope that he stays in the prem and that he goes to a club where he can show his qualities as a coach and manager with a more limited budget - or become England boss.

12. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

I have never been a fan of Mourinho's coaching style or antics, but his records and achievements are impossible to argue with. He is by far the most successful Premier League manager of the past three seasons and yet he is easily discarded for what Abramovich and company hope is a better manager. Better manager? What more could he possibly win?

Ok... starting to get that sick feeling in my stomach. Enough on Mourinho.

Who will replace him? Why did they sack him before one of their most important matches of Chelsea's Prem Season? Lots of questions at the Bridge and it seems those in charge are struggling to find the asnwers.

13. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

Well, I can say I saw him at the Bridge on his last day and he didn't look happy in the slightest. It was on the cards, trust me and it was only a matter of time.

I don't have any sympathy for either side and especially not for the fans. Regardless of his record, Jose acted bigger than the club and made sure his players respected him and wanted to play for him instead of wanted to play for the club. I'm sure there will be a few players very upset with this decision and it will take a while for the dust to settle.

Too many ego's at Chelsea and Jose wanted more control which he wasn't allowed so probably best for both sides.

14. quickdraw

quickdraw New Member

I'm not horribly surprised. This is the reason why I didn't think Chelsea would be even close to winning the league. Too much drama on and off the field to have any sort of cohesiveness.

He should come coach the Galaxy. I hear they might be in need of a new manager soon.

:D

15. quickdraw

quickdraw New Member

16. jmh

jmh New Member

Dear Scum,

Please do not attempt to hire Frank Rijkaard. Any attempt to do so will result in me punching you all in the face.

Love,
    Josh

17. fulhamfaninMS

fulhamfaninMS New Member

That Grant is a scary looking dude....got that John Cheney stare going on in that pic they have up on espnsoccernet.

18. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

Wow...I can't believe it! I'd like to see him coach the Fulham reserves. haha

19. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

lol Fulhamfaninms, Grant does kind of look like a white version of the old Temple B-ball coach.

Have to respect the man accomplishments (even if loathing the team he coached), never a boring interview, but an ego too big to coincide w/an owner w/a likewise ego. Reminds me of a Jimmy Johnson/Jerry Jones relationship w/the Cowboys.

The Premiership will most certainly miss him, can't see him taking another job in England (unless the Spurs give him the moon, and even then I think he's leaving the country). His ego won't let him go anywhere where there isn't an unlimited budget, maybe he's angling for the Portugal job.

20. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Interesting that Sky Sports inteveiwed a dozen EPL managers AND Dennis Wise from Leeds[!] about the firing, but not the guy just down the other end of the Fulham Rd.

Wonder whazzup with that.

later on ... the baritone ...

According to the "Official Report," Josey neither jumped nor was he pushed. He didn't resign and he wasn't fired! WTF :shock: Well, the Stamford Bridge Zoo will have to get off that particular tack sometime soon, because the "Special One" wants 25 million smackers -- 10m more than what's on the remainder of his contract. There's no way he's getting that unless he's booted.

Okay, everybody ... tears for Chelsea fans. Yeah, right! :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

I think that's a personal record for dancing bananas.