MOral High Ground for U Minn

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Oct 11, 2007.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

U athletic panel lets stand policy against UND's team nickname

I assume the idiots will also refuse to play the Seminoles.

This is here because it's not news.
    Nor was the decline of Gophers football news after they decided that Glen Mason wasnt bringing them to the top of the Big Ten fast enough.

2. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Bunch of bunk. Why don't they concentrate on something that matters like lowering their tuition which has more doubled in the last four years? Nincompoops!

We did get a good bball coach anyway

3. dtwondough

dtwondough New Member

MOre importantly, how do the feel about being in the same conference as the fighting Illini?

4. pettyfog

What is sickening is that this is a 'no-brain, no-hit' posturing signifying nothing.

Wonder what they'd say if the Sioux nation sent a couple elders to U Minn requesting a reversal of the decision? My bet is they would STILL turn it down, them being just aborigines and not understanding how the appellation 'hurts' their image.

Until UND gets its football and basketball program into top 25 region, that is. Then if the prospective gate for games -like Hockey- will 'open their eyes' to common sense.

5. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Liberal educators -- God love them, so no one else has to.

On a related note, I saw the former lacrosse coach at Duke that was ran out of town on innuendo and hysteria is suing the university. I hope he hits them hard, and shows these "open-minded" liberal educators that leadership at an executive level means not kissing the asses of your most hysterical students and having the rocks to tell them that they don't get everything that they want.

6. GaryBarnettFanClub

GaryBarnettFanClub New Member

Why is the name so offensive to the good people of Minnesota?

As far as I can tell they are indigenous people of the area who have been continually slaughtered by the new incumbents.

Historically, they look like they fought hard in the face of adversity, generally an inspiring nickname.

Do the Vikings refuse to play the Redskins also?

7. pettyfog

Exactly, GBFC... imagine a school who picked the mascot name:

Dirty Filthy Drunken Scalping Savages...

Does that make sense? No, a school or team that picked the referenced mascot has always done it in a flattering way.

Of course, as usual, this was all set in motion several decades ago by an 'activist' with an agenda. Vernon Bellecourt... who died yesterday and will no doubt be mourned by the rest of the simpering chimps in our 'feel good about confessing our grandfathers' sins' mentality.
    On a related note; those who advocate more governmental 'caretaker' programs should look long and hard at the history of the 'Bureau of Indian Affairs'... the first of its kind and very telling in its actions over the decades.

Started with an altruistic agenda.. to 'protect and serve' its charges.. ended in a morass of corruption and humiliation of those it was to serve.

8. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

It doesn't. I mean you could probably find some ex-communists in Saint Paul who could tell you why they're offended. Just go to a planning commission meeting, they'll be the ones who are against ALL development.

Also Minneapolis is sometimes said to be the epicenter of the Native community in the United States. The leaders of the said community do seem to have a large chip on their shoulder about this sports name issue amongst other things. But the vast majority of the state likely will find this ridiculous.