MLS Team in Detroit

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by andypalmer, Nov 17, 2009.

1. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Whoopie fizz -- another indoor stadium with plastic grass. Is Detroit a soccer hotbed along the lines of St. Louis?

3. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

They said the same thing about Cleveland a few years ago, and it never came about. Too much alike here to get me all fored up. Also, doesn't Detroit have bigger fish to fry in their city? Neither of our fine burgs are doing all that well.

4. stlouisbrad

stlouisbrad Well-Known Member

First, Let me say how cool it is you can buy a stadium for so cheap.

Second, I don’t see any real chance of this happening. That stadium is so big that MLS crowds will look miniscule. It will look like when the Wizards played at Arrowhead. I don’t see MLS going for this at all. I honestly only thought MLS went to Seattle (and Quest field), because of the celebrity owner appeal of Drew Carey (although Seattle fans proved me wrong). I just don’t see these NFL size stadiums as a good idea for the future of the MLS.

But, I do enjoy the creativity.

5. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

The worry warts on Crew Mb are thinking someone will buy and move the Crew in.

6. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

I don't dig indoor stadiums and I don't dig plastic pitches. Plus, Detroit isn't exactly a football hotbed. Luckily tyis will probably not get very far.

7. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

Everyone, the Silverdome is not in Detroit. It's in Pontiac -- 30 miles away. The City of Motors had nothing to do with this.

Speculators purchased it, now lets move along...

8. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

I suspect the cost of reconfiguring the stadium to have a smaller capacity would not be that expensive (relative to building a new 20,000 seater). Make it a 30-35k seater stadium and put in good field turf. Detroit is still a top 25 market, neither UM nor MSU have any real attendance issues for NCAAF, so there are enough people in the area who are spending money on sports.

Plus, to go to a Fall-Spring, we'll need domed stadiums in some places. Might as well start somewhere.

9. pettyfog

I dunno about the market being there... but the reconfig part is correct.

The reason for new NFL stadiums is that there wasnt enough room for expensive 'sky boxes'. A re-do to lower stad seating would allow VIP suites.

And dont forget as a concert venue ... dunno about market for THAT either, but it's a real factor.

10. JP-STL

JP-STL New Member

Holy crap...they got 127 acres of level, easily developable (is that a word?) land located within 30 miles of a major city for about a half mil?!?! If that is accurate, it is astounding.

...I'm wondering if they only got the stadium, and not the surrounding land.

Something doesn't seem right here. That is just too good a deal to be true.

11. pettyfog

I think you've hit on something, JP. We'll know in a few months at most I'm thinking. Pile of rubble has less upkeep costs than an empty building.