MLS In-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by pettyfog, Mar 23, 2010.

1. IanHux

IanHux New Member

Re: Beautiful Game leaves bad taste

Welcome to the world of the Sounders

2. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Re: Beautiful Game leaves bad taste

You're shitting me, right?

"Dear Crew Fan, Welcome to the world of the Sounder fan!"

- think about it.

3. IanHux

IanHux New Member

RE: Re: Beautiful Game leaves bad taste

I'm not sure what you're referring to 'fog. My only guess would be the entire Sigi saga. I only meant to compare things purely in a football sense. The Sounders have continued to play phenomenally and pepper their opponent's goal only to lose the game.

4. pettyfog

RE: Re: Beautiful Game leaves bad taste

Understand, Ian... but you dont compare a 16 year history of heartbreak to a 2 year old history. Only MLS counts.
    The Crew has been there done this so many times even in a relatively short history, it's amazing. Ref: Tony Sanneh taking us out of the playoffs by insisting on taking a PK.

And this, speaking of Sigi, is his weak point. Sigi isnt a 'player's manager' he's a flag general. He depends on field leadership from his older players.

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

we interrupt this hectoring to return the title of the thread to its rightful place.

Please carry on with your lecture.

6. pettyfog

I dunno what crawled up your ass, I do know what gets up mine.

Acts like a Moderator > IS a Moderator.

Enjoy. :banana:

7. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

RSL on a roll. If we can get past DC United (who are finally finding the back of the net) then we roll in to our rematch with L.A. next Wednesday. We actually play United twice this week, once in an open cup match. Several injuries though and no Findley so hopefully we can get through this stretch with no significant losses personnel wise.

8. pettyfog

Interesting comparisons on the Gals BS forum:

and another chimes in:
    Them Gals fans got the 'Giddy's'
    San Jose = Fulham????
    heh

9. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

Aside from the obvious absurdity in comparing MLS sides to Premier League sides, those comparisons make little to no sense. Dallas = Everton? Dallas stinks every year and Everton tend to overachieve. Houston = Liverpool? Liverpool haven't won a title in forever. Houston have. I didn't see one example that I'd say was a good match.

10. IanHux

IanHux New Member

Re: RE: Re: Beautiful Game leaves bad taste

Well I wasn't really complaining about their poor form. I was merely commenting on the similar problem of playing well but not winning which Seattle has had dating back to last season. Obviously, I don't know much about the type of football Columbus has played over the course of their history. The only exposure to MLS I had before Seattle came in was the weekly night game on ESPN. That seemed to be all Dynamo all the time.

I am pleased that Seattle have had on the field success so quickly. At any rate, the World Cup break can't come quickly enough for Seattle right now.

P.S. I did root for the Crew to win MLS Cup 08. That team played the best football I've seen from an MLS side to date and they did that throughout the season.

11. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

I say Philly is the Blackburn team of the early 2000s, what a bunch of hacks and cheap shot artists. And they beat Houston, a team that I respect for how they do business. The sun shines on a dog's butt once in a while. Califf is a total no-talent hack.

The San Jose/ Fulham link does not work for me either. Most of the connections fail to work. But Toronto/ Millwall, I got a chuckle over.

12. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

San Jose = Fulham??

At least San Jose has won a couple of league titles versus those other hacks - what, get to the Europa Final and loft an Intertoto Cup and the club thinks it can be compared to the mighty Clashquakes??

If I drink a bunch of scotch, then, I too can make any Premier League / MLS comparison make sense. :banana:

13. pettyfog

MLS WC break plaudits & comments

Time to get a retrospective on the 1st third of the season:

BEST TEAM in MLS:
    No doubt and it's a runaway - LA Galaxy

The somewhat surprising reason..

BEST COACH in MLS:
    Bruce Arena
    - That sort of sticks in my craw a little because I've been saying that Sigi is 'the best'. Now I have to qualify that. I still think Sigi is the best candidate to replace Bob Bradley. But Arena has demonstrated without any doubt that he was the prime factor in DCU's glory days.

Best striker in MLS:
    Edson Buddle
    - Some thought Jeff Cunningham would continue to carry the honor. His performance this season, though, is not exactly a surprise to those of us who know him. He needs constant challenge and somehow USMNT isnt it.

bonus - Told 'ya:

1. Conor Casey 'aint all that'

- I'm not downplaying his value to Colorado. He's truly an asset to them. I'm saying he has no place on the US team.

2. Red Bull resurgence
    - The jury's still out on whether they really ARE a top team but I was pretty sure they werent as bad as they looked in 09...
    DC United, OTOH, IS!
    - because...
    3. Playing in a dump isnt actually a motivator. I'm thinking that factor is at least 1/3 of DC's problems. Because there's absolutely no hope of it getting resolved.

---------------------------------------------
    If I'd had the strength of my convictions last year, I would have predicted that NE losing Asst. Paul Mariner would end in disaster.

Stevie Nicol is looking more and more like he needs a change of scene, too.

Letting Larentowicz go after dumping Noonan and Ralston...

Not saying Ralston was still the star he'd been but you cannot pin all your hopes on Shalrie Joseph, alone. IMO, that also figures into Joseph's problems of late.
    But now Ralston's back at the Rev's, and it will be interesting to see how the team responds.

14. IanHux

IanHux New Member

RE: MLS WC break plaudits & comments

Yes, my judgment is clouded by extreme emotion right now. Yes, I know that this isn't always the case but I am furious right now. Julius James has no clue that the sport he plays requires him kicking the ball. All he has ever done in the game against Seattle is impede a sounder's progress. No intent to play the ball. He's like the kid that puppy guards during a game of capture the flag or cops and robbers. There I'm done with this part at least.

Also, it's such a shame sometimes how one team can be thoroughly outplayed yet get a few unlucky bounces and find itself behind. Also, how skill is counteracted by those with far less skill with thuggish tactics (see rant on Julius James above). I guess I am thankful for that at times (the win against Spain in Confed. Cup). But right now, I need to vent. Pisses me off.

15. pettyfog

Keller - might leave early

Keller upset over performance against DCU

I watched that match.. there was nothing he could have done to stop the first goal which was on-line with his position but deflected off a defender.

The SECOND goal was his fault he bobbled a shot into his hands, it rolled off and he chased it right into the goal.

BUT.. his screwup is NOT there.. it's in the gloves he's wearing. They look like freaking oven mitts and you cant look at them against what you're seeing most keepers wear and not see the problem.

16. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

ianhux5: I hope you kept watching until the very end. A lot of grumblers in Seattle's parking lot missed a couple of goals by leaving early.

17. IanHux

IanHux New Member

Yeah I saw the goals. Too little too late. They dug themselves into a massive hole. Just frustrating game all around for Seattle. Credit to DC for sticking to their game plan. It worked. I hope they learn that its not about how many chances you create but how many chances you convert soon. If not, they'll be watching the playoffs from their couches

18. IanHux

IanHux New Member

Not really anything to do with the season as it goes right now but a few interesting things. Vancouver and Portland unveiled their crests.

Also, Portland has a virtual stadium thing on their website. http://pgepark.io-media.com/ Read the scoreboard. I found it rather humorous.

19. pettyfog

DCU signs DP: Boskovic

News - Goff

Wiki

Guess you'd call him a DP - Lite.

heh.. we'll see

20. pettyfog

Re: DCU signs DP: Boskovic

I should'a been tracking the DC MB from the beginning on this.

Highly Entertaining!

Best comment:
    Best personal nugget on him:
    Fear of Flying