MLS - Bundesliga team up on marketing and promotion

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by pettyfog, Mar 13, 2007.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Major League Soccer and Bundesliga team up to improve U.S. game
    Just announced in a 1:00 PM press conference, 3/13/07
    I tried to listen to the entire conference , but MLSNET's interns - as usual, couldnt find the on-switch until after the main points had been already made.

- issues to be addressed, Bundesliga has deal with Gol-tv. MLS owner Dave Checketts is trying to buy Gol.

- The Salary Cap thing is not just a talking point. We already know the FA has had NFL in on several ocasions to find ways of dealing with ridiculous salaries.

And before Lord Haw-haw { PCB} steps in... YES this is a major-non-announcement directed at the 'public' not the footy fan.

There's no real direct benefit or exciting news and it's mainly to increase the conversations between the leagues, but it's an incremental sign that MLS intends to be taken seriously.

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I think this is a good move.

3. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Teaming up with Bundesliga makes sense on many levels, not the least of which is that there are more people in the U.S. who can claim German ancestry than any other country's ethnicity. Including me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:USMa ... ry2000.PNG

Lord Haw-Haw strikes again!! (Or is it Der Herr Haw-Haw?)

4. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

BUT,....

You do notice how the Bundesliga and MLS were sure to give assurances that the Bundesliga was not here to raid the MLS of quality players.

Of course not, the Germans would never dream of such! They are just here to tell teams how to build stadiums they will never be allowed to build.

5. pettyfog

Re: RE: MLS - Bundesliga team up on marketing and promotion

Uh.... including me, about 70%, and both maternal/paternal. But it was the side that followed their 'Germanic roots' that were the biggest putzes!

So I tend to lean to my brigand Yorkish/Scottish ancestors.

6. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

MLS and its teams have racked up endless amounts of these "agreements". They can't hurt but seem to be much about nothing.

As for the ancestry bit I like everyone have German ancestry but I like to pretend its not there and instead recall only my Swed and Irish roots.

7. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

I couldn't be more German with my surname, and I not ashamed in the least. Every country has its ugly sores in history. What's a girl with German, French, English, Swedish, Irish, and American Indian ancestory to do?

I think this is a good move on MLS's part, and with the Bundesliga's easing it's foreign player restrictions, get used to more Americans going to Germany. Where our better players have been playing for quite sometime, before England caught on to the idea as much as they have recently.

8. elopingcamel

elopingcamel New Member

At least 1/4 German, but mostly just care about the Scottish.
    3 or 4 of those states from the Wikipedia thing were labeled as "American" (the red ones). Does that mean Native American? (I'll just assume it does until someone has a better answer.)
    I wonder what kind of marketing advice the Bundesliga can offer? Colorado has launched their big "blanket the world" campaign with banners everywhere. It will be interesting to see how well their new look, new partnership, new facilities, and new marketing campaign pays off for them.
    Keep us posted Colorado-inians (<-- that's not "Indians" mispelled).

9. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Re: RE: MLS - Bundesliga team up on marketing and promotion

Well you and I are probably more alike than many would believe (German/Scottish/Irish/Czech), as based on our often polarized views.

Who was it that said "familiarity breeds contempt"?
    I don't hold you in contempt, Fog (but I'm not the ultimate judge).

10. SCFulhamFan

SCFulhamFan Active Member

RE: Re: RE: MLS - Bundesliga team up on marketing and promot

Not to beat a dead horse but why are they still interested when we gave them Landicakes and he couldn't cut it. haha, sorry bad joke. I am glad they are taking an interest. Not really sure how it will work, but I am staying tuned in!

11. pettyfog

Here's a good summary....

I dont know that BL gains much other than how to control player salaries... the rest they can teach us. Well, maybe, they can use help on the myriad of US media outlets.

That's one thing MLS has gotten down pretty well... SUM, I mean.