MLS AllStars v Everton

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by FulhamAg, Jul 30, 2009.

1. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

Tim Howard is a MAN! Despite doing it while wearing a bra and a bib. For those who didn't watch, he stopped 3 out of 6 penalties to earn Everton the win after a 1-1 draw through 90.

The match itself wasn't bad, but the game was a better advert for American keepers as Keller and Howard outshined everyone else.

2. stlouisbrad

stlouisbrad Well-Known Member

I agree. Both Howard and Keller were awesome. Also kudos to Everton for letting Keller come back into the game after the Thorton injury.

3. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

I only saw the first 60 minutes. I actually liked what I saw from Conor Casey; and now hope he gets another look for the MNT. I dont know what he was doing (or not doing) at the Confed. Cup, but from what I saw last night he has potential. Good strong forward with some nice touch and vision.

I was disappointed Peterlin didnt feature. After he signed some articles implied that he would, but I imagine he is back in England with the reserves.

4. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

I fell asleep. Can't imagine staying up long enough to watch PKs, but good on ya timmy.

5. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

Everton looked pretty outmatched after the first 20 minutes. It was MLS vs. Timmy for most of the game. I can't see any of the Everton field players walking away thinking anything other than that they were outplayed (albeit they're in pre-season form, playing at altitude).

6. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

I was at the game. Sat right at the corner flag on the end of the penalties. I honestly think Howard is the best keeper in the Premiere League. Yes better then Cech. This guy is really on fire and I can't feel better about our chances at the Azteca on the 12th. My impressions from the match if you don't mind.

Everton are a difficult side to break down. They were compact the whole match and yes Timmy saved them about 5 times, but if you look at how MLS threw the kitchen sink at them with attackers, you have to be impressed that they only allowed one goal. Yes Timmy made several fantastic saves, but Lescott was a BEAST, Everton marked their players extremely well and other than Holden on the goal the MLS scored, they tracked every MLSer who made a run into the area. I like their chances against Arsenal. Watch out for Jo. That dude has a ton of potential. He's big, suprisingly strong, and has an excellent touch. Our own Louis Saha was good up front but the moment he was moved out wide in the 2nd half, he disappeared. Neville spat and spewed at the ref the whole match. I actually think I'd like him if he were on my team, but as is can't stand the little whiner. Timmy Howard acknowledged the crowd several times and got a huge ovation before and after the match. Feilani is a good player. He is not only tall, but has some wheels. I haven't seen much of him before but I expect him to have a solid season. David Moyes is probably my 2nd favorite manager in the EPL (next to Roy of course). He is a class act and about 30 minutes after the match came out for an interview for Everton TV, and he acknowledged the 5 of us who were hanging around hoping any player would come back out of the tunnel. That's my take on Everton. Will do the MLS in a new post.

7. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

Holden's gaffe was mind boggling, but that said, this kid is for real. After the Gold Cup I definitely thought he was in the squad for the World cup and most likely a reserve, but I honestly could see him making the First XI. Call me crazy, but this kid has a ton of potential. And I liked him out on that right flank. I know you are all saying that it is Dempsey's spot, but I'm telling you Holden would be an awesome winger. The kid never runs out of gas and he tracked back defensively every time, and I don't recall him getting beaten once (this in a 3-4-3 mind you). He gets up in to the attack very fast, and his service was pin point. That one ball he hit right over Yobo and on to Casey's skull (great save btw Timmy) was perfect placement. After seeing this kid live, I'm telling you I want him out on that right flank for the USMNT. Nothing but upside for him. Below I will put what I think our first XI as of now should be for the USMNT. Donovan needs to go to Europe. He was very good in his 45 minutes. I have to scratch my head at Conor Casey. He makes some good plays, then turns around and while trying to dribble, tackles the ball away from himself? Great set up for the goal though. Conde took awhile to get in to the game (his passing mainly) but was great once he did. Ljungberg is a stud. He is fun to watch and no wonder Seattle is so damn good when you throw Montero in along with him. Montero only played 45 but that guy has some pizazz. Blanco...he's old yet still crafty. Not a great game all in all for him. Keller almost had that penalty by Neville. He didn't have to do much but it was great to see him and Timmy in person at the same match. All in all, I though the MLS outplayed Everton, but I think that was predictable. Everton was going to sit back and try and be compact and the MLS was going to attack in waves. That can make for an ugly match, especially when the defending team does not break out in numbers on the counter attack. Everton was left to hold up play from the lone striker after winning possession because nobody, and I mean nobody busted their ass to get forward in to the attack.

Here's my lineup right now for the USMNT and go ahead and fight me about this or call me crazy.

--------------hmmm I wonder who?
    Spector--Demerit----Oneywu-------Boca
    Holden-----MB-------Edu---------Donovan
    --------------Dempsey
    -------------------------Altidore

Davies and Feilhaber as two of the three subs. I like having Davies speed off the bench when defenders are a little tired. I also like Feilhaber coming off the bench for a creative spark and ability to hold possession. Donovan played on that left hand side in the Confed Cup and was given free reign to float in to the middle and run with the ball. Why change that, it was good in the CC. Demps slotted behind Altidore to clean up the garbage with his sweet finishing, and as I mentioned before, Holden flying up and down the flank with the ability to come inside just like Donovan does. What do you think?

8. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

some final thoughts. the game was very boring for an All Star game. Of course, it wasn't one of those everyone attack and don't worry about the D type of matches. There were a zillion fouls by both sides. Clearly both teams wanted to win. Everton had their own supporters section and they certainly helped add to the atmosphere. Say what you will about Lalas, but the guy was stayed after they left the air and let anyone who wanted to take pictures with him and signed countless autographs. The Everton supporters had a good time with Harkes. He was leaving about an hour after the match and they all started whooping at him and he came and talked to them for a few minutes and took pictures. The whole time he spoke with him he talked like a Brit. I found that interesting. I shook hands with Garber about 30 minutes after the match. He was very cordial. Had a great time, wished there was more goals, but what can you say?

9. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

er: Holden's gaff. ESPN did a good job of showing Holden's view when he passed the ball - Saha was directly behind Chad Marshall, so Holden couldn't see him. I'm sure he was thinking "where'd the heck he come from?" ... or something like that.

re: Holden in USMNT. Sorry, but I watched every game in the Gold Cup - he's a solid backup/sub, but isn't consistent enough to replace Dempsey on the wing. He also has trouble with pressure (i.e., players pressuring him), something faced much more in internationals than the MLS (or in meaningless friendlies with pre-season EPL teams).

10. BarryP

BarryP New Member

I enjoyed the match and Andy I agree with you about Holden. I like him in a subs role to bring energy off the bench perhaps but not as a starter yet.