1. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Lletget's backheel pass to free Rogers was pretty damn impressive. On another note, as soon as I badmouth the Quakes they win three on the trot..."oh, San Jose, oh, San Jose..."

As far as MLS lineups with quality and star-power, I think the Galaxy have one-upped themselves.

2. BarryWhite

BarryWhite Well-Known Member

The quality of play in MLS is good and at times exceptional.

nevzter likes this.
  3. nevzter

I'd like to thank the Galaxy for their outstanding performance on Sunday against the Timbers.
    Hugs and kisses, Quakes supporters.

4. nevzter

Damn it, Damn it, Damn it - still was a good season for the Quakes. Now here come the MLS playoffs...

5. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

And look who's apparently healthy again...and "interested." That boy...

6. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Win or go home tonight and tomorrow:

NE Revs at DC United; Good for the great fans of DC to get a home playoff match, now how about getting them a stadium they deserve?

LA at Seattle; There is going to be some high-priced talent packing up for the off season.

7. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

DC moving on. And Jermaine was naughty in the final minutes and was sent off...tisk, tisk. Although Agudelo had one of the prettiest goals in MLS playoffs.

Joe, the city filed for eminent domain for the stadium to be built on the approved site back in September. That's the latest news I've seen on the new stadium. The team is hoping it's ready for 2017, we'll see.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
    SoCalJoe likes this.
  8. BarryWhite

BarryWhite Well-Known Member

SoCalJoe likes this.
  9. SoCalJoe

@tim, as a Galaxy season ticket holder, aren't you a little upset that the club throws around money, but went cheap with Jaime Penedo and lost a really good GK? Donovan 'Rickety Old' Ricketts looked every bit of his 38 years last night.

A couple more knockout games tonight:

KC at Portand: The Timbers Army will be in full voice tonight, just hope the lads don't let them down.

Toronto at Montreal: Speaking of rickety, too bad they aren't playing at the old Olympic Stadium in Montreal because they'd sell out 60K. The match will instead be played at Montreal's normal home and MLS couldn't ask for a better matchup for the Impact's first playoff appearance.

10. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Crew ... whatever. I'll be on a road trip. Hope I remember to check the results.

11. nevzter

the environment in seattle was incredible (as viewed through the tv machine) - and friberg's winner was nice (the flames on the posts are a bit over the top, though - expected the rock or undertaker to enter the pitch thereafter). still, that crowd lost it's collective mind after the goal, which is always fun to see as a neutral.

what happened to the galaxy in the last 45 days? they looked world beaters and then, not so much.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
  12. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

After the baseball game was over, I did a frantic search on the Internet to find out where I could find UNIMAS on Cable so as to watch as much of the Seattle-LA match as I could. I finally took to spacing up from 1 on my tv guide and found it just at the stroke of half time.

The second half was not nearly as action packed as the first, but it's nice to see Seattle finally beat LA when it counted.

Reflecting this morning, last night's match was so emblematic of professional soccer. Here's the two dominant western teams over the last few seasons in a one-and-done playoff game. A HUGE crowd of supporters ignore the World Series and a warm dry bar to stand in the rain for two hours cheering their guts out. That's half the story right there. The other half? An important game like that and not a single American network could be bothered to carry it. Multiple Fox channels are available, as are ESPN affiliates, but ... no ... UNIMAS. THAT's the other half of the story, and that's why I worry about the future of a league that's increasing salary levels at a rapid rate, but can't be getting much more than peanuts from TV.

encorespanish likes this.
  13. nevzter

Agree with all of that, HD, especially the second part. While I don't mind watching on a Spanish-speaking network (as myself and many others on here can speak/understand/follow it), it's baffling that it was only offered on that channel.

NBC has been pretty good over the past couple of years regarding all of the Premier League matches each week are visible on various networks/channels. MLS should take notice b/c Fox and ESPN simply suck for not showcasing that playoff match. I'm sure Fox had a UFC replay, or car auction, on the air instead. ESPN was...meh, #%W$$&#@$!!!!

14. tim

tim Active Member

Joe - definitely frustrated that Penedo got away. Although how much of that was him and how much was the club isn't entirely clear.

What is clear is that the Galaxy are awful away from home and never managed to find their way since bringing in Gerrard and dos Santos.

15. ChicagoCottager

ChicagoCottager Active Member

Great points HD. Not having the games on English language TV is a huge embarrassment for the league. I assumed Unimas got the rights by outbidding English language networks, but perhaps that's not the case. Either way, it's not good enough.

Tonight I'll be cheering my Timbers on. Wish the game wasn't so late, but tis' that nature of the beast when supporting a west coast team. Timbers are in good form, finally finishing off the chances they were missing for most of the season. I'm guessing SKC will come in and play a compact style, try to catch the Timbers out on the break. The only thing I worry about is letting the emotion of the Portland crowd distract the players from gameplan.

Fingers crossed! #RCTID

SoCalJoe and HatterDon like this.
  16. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

Ya' think someboy realizes that they messed up? mls stream.GIF

17. SoCalJoe

Insane PKs between Portand & KC; they went through all 11 players and ended w/the Portland GK saving the KC's keeper's attempt. Kind of symbolic of the whole match, up & downs, not the greatest of execution at times (sloppy would be a good description), but super intense. Right after Jewsbury did a Baggio and put it in the 20th row, Besler, who was immense all night, followed it with an attempted chip (there is a reason he plays CB) that landed in the stands. KC had one match winner hit the post, and another that hit both posts! Proud of the boys to keep plugging and when down 2-1 in the 118th found a way to tie it. All 3 of the Cascadia Cup in the Western Semis.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2015
  18. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

It's amazing how the game goes. At 1-0 up in the second half, Portland looked terrible. At 1-2 down in overtime, they were completely clueless. One precision cross, and one simple conversion and it's 2-2 going to penalties. HatterMom looked at me and said, "Portland win on penalties." I agreed immediately, but I never suspected 22 kicks to settle it.

Another great home crowd in the middle of the week, and good fun to watch -- regardless of the poor football the winning side put out.

19. ChicagoCottager

ChicagoCottager Active Member

What a game last night! Might not have been the best quality game, but damn was it entertaining. Especially the penalties. I don't know that I've ever seen a shootout with more twists and turns. How many chanced did SKC have to win it? 3? One of which hit both posts on it's way out. If you'd have written that script it would've seemed to unbelievable.

20. nevzter

4 playoff match-ups today, my dvr will be overheated by the east matches, but I'll try to watch at least some of Vancouver v. Portland, and try to watch that boy's Sounders and FC Dallas.