MLS 2013 Season

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by nevzter, Mar 1, 2013.

1. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

2. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

"A" tear? How about :crying-blue:

Love the man to death. He should have been on that 2010 World Cup team.

3. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Very much agree with this (at the time I was perplexed that he was left off of the roster given Bob's use of Ching throughout qualifying) - Robbie Findley anyone?

He's a Dynaquake.

4. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

Or maybe he isn't the player he is today without his time spent in England? Whatever the case, he looks a different player today and credit to Eddie for the work he's done to make that happen.

5. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

6. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

Agreed, it is premature. He didn't have a preseason, joined a club past the halfway point of their season, and in 3 starts and 2 subs, hasn't scored or assisted. It took Berbatov 5 starts before he got on the scoresheet v Everton Tuesday night. He has no assists.

As for the why leave Tottenham question. Seems pretty obvious it was to start...and get a big payday to come home. Spurs spent around 100M in the transfer window and brought in Soldado and Ericksen. If the point is that those two are better (and younger) than Dempsey, I think you'll have a very hard time finding anyone to argue that.

The one issue raised that might have some merit would be the injury aspect. If memory serves, Clint had two stretches last season where he missed time due to injury and now he's had the hamstring pop up. Could be nothing, but after missing only 16 matches in 5 full seasons at Fulham, while playing a very busy schedule year round, his durability doesn't appear to be as outstanding as it was. Despite the 2 injuries, he did make 49 starts and 12 subs for Spurs and the USMNT last season though. So that's probably premature as well but at age 30, it's a fair question.

7. Clevelandmo

Cleveland boy Darlington Nagbe was ranked #1 in MLS's annual 24 under 24. It is sad that this kid gets absolutely ZERO media coverage in Cleveland. Not even two sentences in the bottom corner of the Sports Section.
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/24under24/news/article/2013/09/20/1-darlington-nagbe-portland-timbers

As far as Clint, in my opinion I see one thing wrong with him. He is playing his style of soccer rather than what is most likely to get results. The fans are going to have to get on his case or Sigi is going to have to talk with him or both. He is a way more effective player than he has been since leaving Spurs. That being said, he's not the first good player to come to MLS from a top European side and struggle to meet expectations.

8. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

First of all, he's not a striker
    Second of all, he didn't pull himself out of pre-season matches to force a transfer.

The Guardian used to be a good source for thoughtful analysis and fair reportage. I guess the Englishness finally got to them.

9. Clevelandmo

It's down to the last month of regular season play and the only teams who are really out of the playoff picture are Toronto, DC United, and Chivas. DC only has 15 pts; my my what is going on? You have to wonder if DC would allow itself to perform so poorly if the league had relegation.

The Timbers are only 2pts from first in the West with a fairly reasonable schedule remaining so fingers crossed they can finish on top. Seattle has a game in hand but that means a weekday game, three away games (one at Portland), more travel, and a big finale vs the Galaxy so I'm thinking the Timbers have a good shot.

10. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

11. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

The playoffs start tonight as Colorado travels to Seattle. Deuce off the schnide last time out v LA, and we all know he's capable of scoring in bunches. The Rapids will play with a chip on their shoulder between playing in that environment, and with the knowledge that MLS brass is praying for the Sounders to win to set up a Portland-Seattle 2nd round.

12. tim

tim Active Member

Repressing a rant about MLS' screwy playoff structure.

Don't see the Rapids able to pull off the upset here, and MLS will get what it wants with the Seattle-Portland matchup next round. It's remarkable how quickly the Sounders have gone from feel-good success story to loathsome, heavy-spending, title-or-bust frontrunners. I'll be pulling for them to win (vs. Portland as well) only so I can see the Galaxy knock them off in the West finals. (And yes, I'm keenly aware of the irony in criticizing Seattle for being loathsome, heavy-spending, title-or-bust frontrunners...and also rooting for the Galaxy).

13. Clevelandmo

You mean "Keanely aware", right? :D

Porterland all the way baby!!!!!!!! :chores-chopwood:

14. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Mo, I'm guessing you egged your television set this weekend when Drew Carey did an interview on CBS Sunday Morning wearing his Seattle Sounders tract suit.

15. tim

tim Active Member

Yes, I suppose I left myself open to that one.

16. Clevelandmo

Damn right, if I had seen it. Dirty traitor Aaarrrgh. :character-willie:

17. astroevan

astroevan Well-Known Member

Seeing Drew Carey in any sort of track suit would be cause enough for me to egg my TV.

18. Clevelandmo

19. Clevelandmo

Portland v Seattle right now. I've got news for you Clint Dempsey. Darlington Nagbe is better than you

20. Clevelandmo

Portland wins first leg 2-1 away at Seattle. Come on you Timbers :chores-chopwood: :chores-chopwood: :happy-sunny:

Nagbe scores, Dempsey doesn't :shhh: