MLB Season

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by VegasJustin, Mar 28, 2012.

1. VegasJustin

VegasJustin New Member

The MLB season starts tonight with the Mariners and A's. There was a busy offseason, including the Mariners trading Pineda for Montero. We are finally on track to do something! 82 wins here we come!

How does everybody think their team will perform? Please Joe, don't brag too much about the Angels. I might throw up.

2. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

I have no idea where the Red Sox will finish. I'm guessing somewhere between 2nd and 4th in the division. They might squeak into the playoff via wild card, but that's unlikely. Everybody in the media seemed to think they would go to the WS this time last year. I knew better since the bullpen was never improved in the offseason. I haven't been following Spring training and have no idea about this Bard in the starting rotation business. I only follow these stories with mild interest because the Boston media blows things out of proportion, it's their livelihood. I'll have to watch about 2 weeks worth of regular season games before I get a feel for how they do. But baseball is an incredible long season, the Sox were in last for several weeks in beginning of last season (and I wrote them off), climbed out of hole and seemed to gliding to first place (giving me hope), then played like crap again (making me feel an incredible amount of despair). :roll:

3. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Heather, don't think you'll have to worry about the Red Sox, they'll be very good and will be playing in the postseason.

Justin, i have to admit that I think the Halos are going to have a great year (your Pops is going to let you know about it), but will that be enough to overtake the Rangers?? Huge upgrade (besides Pujols) on an already great starting staff and it looks like Kendrys Morales will be back after 1 1/2 years out. His bat has been hot in Spring Training. The offense has been the issue and now it looks like it will be a strength, can't wait to get down to the Big A on the 7th for the second game of the season.

4. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

5. VegasJustin

VegasJustin New Member

Yeah, my Dad has already let me hear about how awesome they will be. He thinks everything comes down to how Morales does. He thinks he will be good, but I don't know if he can bounce back from such a long layoff. There's no doubt my second favorite team will be anybody who plays the Angels in the playoffs.

My Mariners have the best record in baseball! I think they should end the season now and let us into the postseason. Man, Felix looked amazing out there.

6. SoCalJoe

Mo, it's going to be okay to be a Dodgers fan again. They aren't far away as it is, and will have the money at the trade deadline this year to get a bat or arm or both as needed. They play in a division that is weak and they'll spend more than anyone else, back in the playoffs sooner rather than later.

As far as the deal...2 BILLION?????? The Dodgers were valued at $800 million last year. Frank McCourt was shoved down Dodger fans' throat for $430 million (McBroke didn't shell out dollar one in cash) by the biggest scumbag in sports during my lifetime Bud Selig, goes belly up, quintuples his profit, and somehow keeps a piece of the parking lots...Only in America.

7. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

The scale of every club's valuation just went off the charts today - granted it's L.A., but what are the Yankees, Red Sox, Phillies or Cubs going to fetch next time - not to mention other up and comers like the Rangers, Giants, Devil Rays (well, not until they get a proper field), and Angels.

The parking lot deal is the sweetest backroom piece of work - the Dodgers earn approx. $300 million from parking alone - come to California, you'll understand (maybe), and McCord keeps 50% of that in the deal...well, you gotta pay your lawyers and alimony somehow.

And the Dodgers have Magic as a face of the club - that's PR brilliance waiting to happen.

In general, Giants fans in SF are leery of the galactic empire that just set foot in L.A. (queue "The Imperial March")

8. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

OPENING NIGHT! Anybody up for some crystal ball gazing? Don't know how the Cards will fare post TLR and AP, but so far, so good.

9. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

A friend of mine here is from LA and is a massive Dodger fan. He calls him Divorce McCourt.

As an O's fan, my baseball interest has waned over the last 15 years. Hopefully we can screw over the Sawx or Yanks again this year....and finish 4th. Not much else to look forward to there aside from watching the young talent we won't be able to keep when their initial contracts run out.

10. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

This is my last season of watching MLB. I've been a huge baseball fan since i started teething, but the idiots that run the game are asking me to stop.

This season is my last because it's the last season [and 50th] that the Astros will be in the NL. In 2013, they'll move to the AL East. Why does this bother me? Well, I'm an Astros fan and I hate the DH, but that's not the reason. The reason is that there will then be an uneven number of teams in each league. That will force interleague play -- something I hate as much as the DH -- to be happening EVERY SINGLE DAY OF THE SEASON.

It may not be the apocalypse, but it's enough to run me out. Thank goodness I can still enjoy the game. The San Antonio Missions are Texas League's defending champions. Saw them in their home opener last night, and we've got buttloads more tickets in our back pocket.

Go Henry the Puffy Taco!!!!!

11. MisterF

MisterF New Member

Not a huge fan of baseball but am a Reds fan when I do watch.

12. VegasJustin

VegasJustin New Member

At least the Mariners scored some runs last night! Only 80 more wins to finish above .500!

13. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

I used to live in Seattle and usually made it to about 20 or so games a year when I was up there (98-03). Since they're celebrating their 35th anniversary this year, I was really hoping they'd break out the old school pitchforks, but alas...

Baltimore has brought back the birdface logo from my youth and are off to a 2-0 start. It'll never last, but for a few days anyway, it's brilliant. Especially with Boston and NY at 0-2.

14. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Wondo! Up the Quakes

15. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

The Quakes play baseball too? :cool:

Well, I know it's only 3 games but this is essentially the same Red Sox from last year. They may get an extra playoff spot this year, but I'm doubting if they get that far. :doh:

16. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

17. SoCalJoe

If you had the under at 3 games before Ozzie would say something stupid, the office pool is yours.

18. VegasJustin

VegasJustin New Member

I don't like the way Cuba is run, but this outrage is pretty pathetic. It was quite clear what he meant by his statement. He didn't mean that he literally loved Castro. He shouldn't have to apologize for something as silly as what he said.

This is why people avoid politics in sports. Every sportswriter should never bitch again when an athlete avoids politics. When they open their mouth, even if it's a harmless thought, people jump on them. This was clearly him respecting the fact that Castro is still alive and everybody got all pissed off. Muhammad Ali would be destroyed if he could speak out today. If everybody thought this was bad, Ali used to say shit far worse than this.

Sorry for the rant, but I hate when people get pissed over stuff like this.

19. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Am I taking crazy pills? Or am I in the twilight zone. Isnt Fidel Castro dead and in fact no longer in power. It's his son in charge right, it's not really him.

I must say I kind of agree with Justin. The media and social pressure against people speaking their minds is getting so out of hand. At what point will our right to free speech even matter. On the other hand, what a stupid thing to say in Miami.

20. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Nope, he's not dead...yet. Although every so often people jump the gun on twitter and newspapers. Fidel put his brother in charge.

For the most part I agree with you two. But when it came to this comment, in Miami of all places (who most wouldn't mind hearing the news of Fidel's death), it doesn't get any dumber and insensitive.