Minnesota Makes History

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by mnlandshark, Nov 8, 2006.

1. mnlandshark

mnlandshark New Member

http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/11/08/ ... index.html

I, along with the voters in my district, elected the first muslim to the U.S. Congress in Keith Ellison. The joy of it is, his religion or race had nothing to do with him getting elected or not... well, except to the Repubs who lived outside the district. We had a lot of outsiders suggesting that it's a bad idea to send a muslim to Congress...

Granted, he didn't have the most spectacular past (I know petty has the talking points at the ready)... but he had the benefit of a good, strong message that resonated with the urban populace he represents.

The most interesting thing about his getting elected is that he only garnered 54% of the vote in a district that went for his predecessor Martin Sabo in 2004 with 70%. The Independent candidate actually got just as many votes as the Repub. I think MN may be on the road to three-party rule within the next 2-3 election cycles... bloc-voting government here we come!

2. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Really I don't know if the message had anything to do with it. In that district all that mattered was the "D" next to his name.

3. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

RE: Re: Minnesota Makes History

I dunno, MNL.... Are you sure he'll remember what he's supposed to do in DC once he gets there?

didnt seem to remember how long he was associated with the Nation of Islam.

Maybe Ritalin?