Midfield Problems

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by VegasJustin, Sep 1, 2012.

1. VegasJustin

VegasJustin New Member

So we all know what our major problem is until January, the midfield. We have the problem of not having any creativity in CM from a natural CM. What can we do to improve upon this? The fact is if we don't solve this problem then we could get relegated. Our defense is a year older and our midfield is shocking. Can't do much on defense except hope H+H can get it together, but we do have options in the midfield.

Today Jol tried a 4-5-1 type of formation with Richardson in CM. He was horrible. It's unfair to expect him to be great, tough Carroll was great for West Ham, but that doesn't mean that he gets a pass for giving the ball away almost every time he had it. Apart from a long shot, he gave the ball away. It won't get much better because Richardson is average at best and more suited to play wide. So I'm pretty confident that he's not the answer.

Another answer could be to wait for Frei to get healthy and play him instead of Sidwell. On the Facebook Fulham group some think that Frei will be amazing there. I think he's more than capable, but that he will be inconsistent because of his age. I can see this working out because that's probably his natural position. Don't think he's a wide player and he can provide creativity in the middle of the park.

Another option is signing Reo-Coker. He's a natural CM who can string passes across the park. I would much rather take a chance on him than hope that we have options in the current team because, other than Frei, I don't see the options being that good.

Any ideas? Most of you guys are brilliant at these tactical discussions so I would love to hear from you on this.

2. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

I've thought Frei was a logical eventual replacement for Dembele, but not yet. Offensively I think he's close enough he can do a job. Defensively and from a consistancy standpoint, I believe he's probably further than we care to endure.

I'm not sold on Kasami, he's underwhelmed me everytime I've seen him except when he's been on the wing.

Ruiz's toughness and defensive shortcomings give me pause for that position. Same with Kaca.

Baird and Davies are so removed from any regular first team football, I can't see them as options.

Richardson was moved to lb for a reason and that was on full display today. I'm reserving judgement on him though b/c that could've just been rust and not being fit/ready. And b/c Jol has said he thinks he's a cm. Maybe he can turn him into one after some work.

I'm also not sold that Sidwell is as bad as what we saw today. We've seen him better, but that was in partnership with Murphy. I don't think he's going to be good enough...but get us to January? Maybe.

I don't think Reo-Coker would be an upgrade over what we have, sadly. Not between now and January at any rate.

Jol's got some work to do. Me, I'd probably put Ruiz there at home and on the road go with Sidwell or Richardson based on whoever most impressed me in training after I drilled them half to death. Or try Frei when he comes back, but I'd save that experiment for a home match. Regardless of how we paper over the cracks, I hope we are busy in the market buying a starter quality cm on 1/1.

3. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Yeah, I can see Frei filling in eventually as the creative midfielder in the Dembele mold. However, the big thing we're going to miss about Dembele is his tracking back and fighting to win the ball back, plus his size. Not only was he a savant with the ball at his feet; but whenever he did lose it, he would usually get it right back. I think missing that little fight of his to win the ball in the middle went a ways in making the defense look really poor today. Not sure Frei can do that or any of the other creative wingers on the team.

Agree with the sentiments that we really need to hold tight until the January transfer window opens. And I hope Fulham are sending scouts far and wide to send names back to the club who will be able not only to the job, but be able to sign all the papers quickly. Fulham are going to have to be creative with what we have in the meantime.

4. Skiggity

Skiggity New Member

Who are some suggestions of possible transfers in the January window to assist our midfield issues? And why do you think with the departure of Dembele, Jol didn't try to find a replacement? I followed the transfer window pretty thoroughly, but didn't hear too much about Jol going after CM's. Does he feel that he is ok at CM with the guys he has now? I definitely feel we are lacking serious creativity. Could be a long start to the season.

5. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

From his comments in newspapers and interviews, it sounds like he was really surprised by Dembele's departure, and was unprepared to replace him. I find that interesting though since Dembele was talking about moving on to a big team after the first two matches. Did Jol really not know about his release clause? Hmm.

As for replacements, I'm not sure who is available for purchase or loan. I'll leave that for those who follow that market to answer.

6. Skiggity

Skiggity New Member

I cannot believe that Jol was blindsided by Dembele's departure. He had to have known if a 15m offer came, there was a very strong chance he was being moved. Besides Dempsey, Dembele was easily the biggest rumored name to possibly be on the move. That's an absolute shock to me that Jol was unprepared for this. Plus, with the departures of Murphy and Etuhu, he still didn't bring in anyone for the CM position. I am seriously afraid this is going to taint this season. I hope I am wrong.

7. shinerbockguy

shinerbockguy New Member

Yup.

The hole in the middle is more about a lack of possession/passing vs. tackling. It's why Huddlestone would've made at least a little sense (he can pass, but he ain't great).
    Reo-Coker is garbage. He can play at CDM, but can't pass and can't maintain possession under pressure. He is not the answer.
    (The same could be said about Richardson as well).

Can we beg Danny Murphy to come back? And be realistic - how many CAM who can maintain possession and pass will be available in January? Especially ones that can come in mid-season and be a metronome right away? Yikes. Spain is bankrupt - let's go shopping there. Michu and Cazorla have been bargains.
    Another option - maybe Barca will let us take Jonathon Dos Santos on loan?

That said - our talent is up front and on the wings. We won't see anything develop through the middle - except the occasional counter.
    Time to bring back the steroid-era MLB slogan: "Chicks dig the Long Ball."

8. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

:text-+1: First off welcome to the site Skiggity. Totally agree that Jol knew the score when it came to Moose's release, but I'm sure he was stunned that after receiving one low-ball offer from ManUre early in the window that someone would shell out that sum of money. I'm really disappointed that there didn't seem to be a fall back plan in case it happened (especially when Spurs sold Modric for 27 million or whatever it was). I honestly believe Moose would still be here if he hadn't been the best player on the pitch at Old Trafford (and that includes the guys in red shirts).

As a possible CM coming in, no names yet, but the rumor mill will surely start up again soon. Jol will either look towards Holland or Germany (leagues he's very familiar with), a CM on one of the Big 4 that isn't getting playing time on loan, or a quality player from one of the smaller leagues ala Moose that no one has heard of.

I was hoping Kasami would grab this opportunity with both hands, but I'm skeptical that Jol thinks he's ready.

9. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Yeah, I agree he had to have known; but with no replacements in you really have to wonder if he believed Dembele would stay after all. With both Dems leaving so late, perhaps he was waiting for that money to use to spend on a couple of players. Huddlestone did come over at the last minute and it was too late to put pen to paper on an agreement. Not a completely ideal replacement for either player, but it would have been something. Plus, the Boateng deal couldn't be completed either for whatever reason...permit? And the Belgian guy I guess decided to join his teammates at Everton.

As I said earlier, Jol is going to have to be creative with the midfield until the January transfer window opens. We just have hope the midfield problems haven't given the team too much of headache by then. Perhaps with Ruiz's return it won't be so bad as the West Ham game. Plus, it's doubtful Richardson would have started if we had the same players on opening day with him just joining the day before. The team has some time together during the break; hopefully the play improves.

10. shinerbockguy

shinerbockguy New Member

Well, we have to take a light-weight, but good on the ball attacking player - and just put him in there in the middle (Frei, Ruiz?). We have some holding types to play behind him. If we play 4-5-1, we can do this. If we go 4-4-2, then we probably can't afford to have a defensive liability in the middle there.

Dembele came over as a striker, but blossomed when he was moved just a bit deeper. Of course, his physicality and ball control is a combo that Ruiz and Frei don't possess. I'm ignorant on the abilities/qualities of Kacaniklic (?sp), so I can't comment/guess what role he'll actually play.

11. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Maybe some kind of answer?

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/pre ... karagounis

12. RIcottager

RIcottager New Member

Not exactly the youth movement some of us might like to see...

13. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Nope...but we can only sign free agents until the window opens again. Quite a number of free agents are over the hill types looking for maybe one or two years. He might do as a temporary band aid to huge open wound at the moment.

14. VegasJustin

VegasJustin New Member

Kevin Strootman in The Netherlands will be a good replacement, but he won't be cheap. Yoann Gourcouff is another quality player, but won't be cheap. At this point, I would take Mark Noble as a cheaper option.

15. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

We supposedly put in a bid for Noble, he's English which means he's worth 5 million, but would cost 15 to actually get.

16. emiusaberbo

emiusaberbo Member

try to get Manolev from PSV eindhoven