Messi Hits 60

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by nevzter, Apr 7, 2012.

1. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

2. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

I certainly think so. If Messi could lift Argentina to more success then he has to be considered one of the best ever.

3. VegasJustin

VegasJustin New Member

That's pretty much the only thing missing. He needs to win a World Cup and until he does that, he shouldn't be considered the best.

Also, if he's considered one of the best, then Ronaldo should be too. He has also scored tons of goals throughout his career and won titles. He's done all that without being on one of the best club teams ever.

4. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Same arguments against Ronaldo as well - when did he win the WC? Ronaldo is class - but, Messi just put 60 in the net for Barca.

I don't buy into the WC argument - it's a team that wins the WC, not a player. For instance, how can Messi cover for a poor CB or keeper?

Still, I'd hope Messi wins a WC w/o punching in a goal...

5. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Let's not forget that a crackhead, egomaniacal psychopath, with zero managerial experience and w/zero tactical acumen ran the Argentina ship last WC (the fool had Messi playing so deep it was comical). Remember they had to go to a playoff just to qualify for the WC, with that amount of talent. Not sure how Maradonna got the gig in the first place, but it was a disaster.

6. VegasJustin

VegasJustin New Member

If you count the 2 goals that Ronaldo has for Portugal, then he also has 60 goals this season. Last year, he had 56 goals for Madrid. He's doing this without having a bunch of world class teammates around him. He's also done this for two different teams over eight years.

The arguments could be made against Ronaldo, but at least he's done something with Portugal. He took them to a final of Euro 2004 and a semifinal in Germany. Argentina has done nothing on the world stage and Messi has not done anything to put Argentina over the top. They didn't do anything last year at the Copa America despite it being in Argentina.

Championships do matter. This isn't Baseball where you are completely at the mercy of your teammates. It isn't like Argentina is without talent. The great players in any sport make up for bad managing and holes in the team. Argentina should do better than they have done and until they at least do something on the international stage, even making a final, then he shouldn't be considered as the best ever.

7. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Read an article recently and Pele believes the same thing, of course he has a vested interest in that opinion. My kids have this argument all the time. I think this discussion is a particularly difficult one because there are different types of players. Is Messi the greatest at the type of player he is, I'd say yes, definitely. Is he the greatest ever, I have a hard time with that. I think there are more complete players than him. For me it comes down to who I enjoy watching the most and Messi wouldnt make my top two or three in that regard.
    http://www.usatoday.com/sports/story/20 ... 52696802/1

8. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

I don't care who the best ever is, I just love that I get to watch Messi (and Barcelona) on a weekly basis.

Just a joy to watch.

9. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member