Manning the Elder

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by jumpkutz, Mar 6, 2012.

1. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

Can't believe the Colts are ready to cut him loose. Of course, I think the team in Baltimore, WHOEVER owns them, should be the Colts. Their eternal legacy is that snowy video of them trying to sneak out of town in a bunch of moving company vans.

Anyway, #18 made them who they are in the current era, and I gotta believe he's got several more productive seasons in him, if not physically, then by intelligence, experience, work ethic and about a thousand other intangibles you can name.

A bonehead move, for sure.

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I was living in Anne Arundel County when that happened. Irsay was a gutless louse, and I've called the franchise the "Indianapolis Kidnap Victims" ever since.

As for Peyton, he's the least talented of the three Mannings I've seen in my "short" life. I used to say that I never thought I'd ever see a college quarterback better than Archie Manning -- and yes, I saw Joe Montana with Notre Dame -- but I finally saw one a few years back playing for Mississippi State. My band partner is a Giants fan, and when they signed Manning I told him, "Unless he gets injured, you're going to have the best QB in the game for a good 10 years.

3. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

I thought you didn't like pointy football Hatter?

Yeah, our family just moved to Anne Arundel Co. when the Colts moved out town too. Not happy times. And I agree, Baltimore should have been able to keep the name. It's funny how everybody dislikes the Ravens because they used to be the Browns, but that same dislike is not really aimed at Indianapolis.

Anyway, I doubt Manning will be able to put up stats anywhere close to pre-neck surgery. Plus, he's getting closer to retirement. It's obvious they need to rebuild the team without him, might as well cut him loose now.

4. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

I think the Colts are making the only decision that can be made. He's 36, 3 neck surgeries (and 1 other neck procedure), and owed 28 million this year if they kept him. He was paid 23 mill. for sitting on the sidelines this year. Not that he hasn't earned it, since the trucks would likely have rolled in the middle of the night in Indy also if they had drafted Ryan Leaf instead of him. That beautiful new stadium is truly the 'House that Peyton Built'. That said, the team is in need of an overhaul and that money can be used to elsewhere, and the 1 pick Andrew Luck is as good a prospect as there has been in the last 20 years. Throw in the all the new rules that favor the quarterback and rookies can have success (Cam Newton and Andy Dalton were outstanding last year), and this is the smart move in the long term.

EDIT: From the not surprised in the least department; Peyton handled his press conference w/total class and dignity.

5. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

Ah, the single most devastating off field sports event of my childhood. It's funny, I hated the Colts until Baltimore turned around and did the same thing to Cleveland. It has since become status quo to hold cities hostage for public stadium funds. While that appears to be slowing down a little, it's still a disgusting practice.

Can't say that I agree with Don's ranking of the Mannings. Eli is been far too inconsistant. Fwiw, Eli (and Archie) played for Ole Miss, not Miss St.

I do agree that the Colts really didn't have a choice. Forget the money and risk aspect of Manning. This last year showed they're in need of a rebuild. Keeping Peyton likely doesn't win them anything and only costs them places in the next few drafts. Plus it delays the transition to that next qb, thus prolonging the rebuild. Throw in the timing of Manning's injury and the availability of Luck to them, and it's a bit of a no-brainer. Sentimentality is the only aspect that clouds this.

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Sorry about screwing up the colleges, Matt, but in this case -- like MANY others -- you're just slightly wrong about the amazing Manning family.

My favorite part about this cut-Manning-or-pay-out-$28m? Irsay saying "This isn't about money." Of course not.

7. MisterF

MisterF New Member

Sounds like the Redskins and Jets are out of the Manning sweepstakes with their recent deals.

Despite Alex Smith's success last season, the Niners really would be a great fit for Manning. They'd be an instant Super Bowl favorite.

8. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

We should ask Romney where Manning is going. He appears to be friends with most of the franchise owners.

9. SoCalJoe

Romney would recommend the Cayman Island Canaries or the Zurich Zebras :cool:

John Elway with the full court press. Peyton would get to stay in the AFC, good young D, $$$ under the cap for more players, crummy division, good head coach. Aside from a few of the delusional Tebow supporters, Broncos' fans have to be loving this.

Arizona has many of the same qualities as Denver, and has a chance, but the organization isn't as good and doesn't have the cap space.

10. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

Wouldn't that mean you'd get a different answer every day?

Joe, you forgot about the Kolob franchise.

11. SoCalJoe

I believe the Kolob franchise is nicknamed the Kickbacks