Manchester United...

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by Team_of_McBrides, May 31, 2007.

1. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

The Mancs are at it again. They've just spent 51 million quid on three players in roughly 36 hours and it woudl seem they have picked up where they left off.

Nani from Sporting Lisbon, Anderson from Porto and Hargreaves from Bayern Munich. That is a stellar list of signings right there. They could sit back and enjoy the rest of the summer in terms of signing more players. Two of the most promising wingers in the world aside from Quaresma and Hargreaves, out of all the players signed I worry about him causing problems the least for opposing sides.

So much for the club going into financial ruin...

2. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Glazer looks like he should be making wooden puppets not owning sports franchises. Guess he'll hike the ticket prices up another 12% next year. Can't stand 'em, or the 'Theatre of Diving er Dreams'

3. Team_of_McBrides

Agree with you there. Can't stand the mancs and that diving putts. Hopefully Nani and Anderson decide to stay on their feet instead of going to the deck every time someone breathes on them.

4. Lyle

Lyle New Member

I have to admit Manchester is fun to watch. They play really good football. The best looking football this past year.

With Nani, Anderson, and Hargreaves they are going to be unbelievable. Could be one of the best teams of all time. Although there weak spot might be goalkeeper.

Fulham with need some of that Northern Irish luck to beat those guys or even draw.

5. quickdraw

quickdraw New Member

I actually dislike Man Utd more than I dislike Chelsea. They have that Yankees Syndrome.

Give me an infinite amount of funds, and I could make a team like Grimsby Town in to UEFA Champions Cup champs in a decade.

It is leagues like the EPL that almost make me appreciate our salary caps more.

6. Team_of_McBrides

In the quiet words of the Virgin Mary...come again?

That comment is off the reservation. Unless this team wins the treble or blows the rest of the league out of the water while collecting at least another trophy...you know that is obsurd. Sorry, I am just dumbfounded.

It takes a lot more than what Utd have to be one of the best teams of all time. The team they have assembled this past year and the one they are currently lining up for next isn't even better than their 1999 side.

(didn't mean to come over the top, but can't stand utd and comments relating their current side to one of the best of all time is ludicrous, not the rapper)

7. Team_of_McBrides

The powers that be would never let anything like a salary cap happen. Heaven forbid that the big four are now on the same level of spending power as Derby...don't really ever see it happening in my lifetime. Would be nice to see a level playing field though and every club has a fair shout in for transfers.

8. quickdraw

quickdraw New Member

Oh I know a salary cap would never happen in most soccer leagues. You'd have an easier time convincing Americans to vote an Anarchist in to the White House.

But it is a nice dream though. It'd be nice to see a league based more on your coaching quality and training than how much money you have in the vault.

9. Team_of_McBrides

If it were based on coaching or managing a side then the league would of finished 1. Liverpool 2. Reading 3. Villa

10. BC

BC New Member

Agree that a salary cap would be great. I'd certainly enjoy hearing the big four whine about how they can't sign the players they want b/c of the cap. Meanwhile, it might give teams like us a chance to bring in some top talent.

As you all said above, a salary cap will never happen. It is encouraging to see teams like Reading do well, though. It proves that you can still be successful without endless funds.

11. Team_of_McBrides

West Ham did the same thing in their first season in terms of success. They got to the FA Cup final, but as you can see the second season woes hit every club just getting to the prem.

I don't expect Reading to match their performance of this past season. Especially with Sidwell now on Chelsea.

12. Lyle

Lyle New Member

I disagree. Johann Cruyff even said they were approaching "total football", if not actually playing it. At times this year they were unreal. Now with these three new guys their going to be even smoother.

Though they have keeper issues.

13. Team_of_McBrides

Just because Cruyff says they are approaching "total football" it doesn't make them the best or one of the best of all time. They only won one competition last year for crying out loud. It was the most important, but if you are the best in the world I would expect a bit more.

They have made all the right signings so far this season, but you will be hard pressed for me to admit they are the best in the world. Just can't stand the Mancs.

They will face a lot stiffer competition next season. If they again improve and win silverware on several fronts I will begin to eat some humble pie.