Manchester United crash out of Europe

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by martin, Dec 8, 2005.

1. martin

martin New Member

For the first time in ten years, United did not make the knockout stage of the Champions League. In finishing last in their group, they do not even qualify for the UEFA Cup. ManU will miss out on up to 15 million pounds in prize money, plus other revenue from TV, merchandise, etc. This brings up lots of questions:

1. Is St. Alex on his last legs at Old Trafford?
    2. Did they lose because Keane left, or did Keane leave because he foresaw this?
    3. Will there be a sell-off in January? Virtually everyone but Rooney has been linked with other clubs over the last year or so. Ruud, Giggs, Ronaldo, Saha, and Tim Howard have all had their names bandied about.
    4. If the answer to 3 is "Yes," how can we benefit? Bring back Saha on the cheap? Maybe Howard? The others are probably out of our price range.

The United chatter will kick into high gear now. As if there wasn't enough already! Poor, poor ManU. I'm all busted up about this :wink:

2. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

I could care less what happends in the CL so long that Chelsea lose but this will be a wake up call for Man U. and its fans. Its about time that they felt like other teams who haven't been as fortunate.

As for Man Utd. They are the only team that has any feasible chance of catching Chelsea in the League

3. misswitch2

misswitch2 New Member

RE: Re: Manchester United crash out of Europe

my poor eddie VDS!! and no we shouldn't bring back saha...he's a lazy sh!t

4. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

To answer your questions:
    1. Yes, I do think Sir Alex is on his last leg at Old Trafford. He is getting old and just does not seem to have the magical powers he used to. In addition, his spending on players like Djemba-Djemba, Bellion, Kleberson, Liam Miller and others have been brutal.
    2. Keane's presence or absence is irrelevant to all of this. Had he been a force at all anymore, he would have been on the pitch more, but instead he was always injured and never able to play. The problem with United has been in buying the right players. Their midfield is old and other than a makeshift midfielder in Alan Smith, Sir Alex has brought no one in to replace Keane and Scholes in the middle of the park. Both of which are clearly past their primes.
    3. No way will there be a sell-off in January. One or two players might leave, but I do not foresee a lot of action from Old Trafford in January. The Glazers would be foolish to panic after an early European exit. With the supporters already leery of them controlling the club, the last thing they will want to do is stir the pot by selling players.
    4. Since my answer was no, this question is not applicable.

5. Smokin'

Smokin' Administrator

RE: Re: Manchester United crash out of Europe

MUST WE ALL QUOTE THE ORIGINAL!!!!????

Jesus $#%@# CHRIST!

1. He's old... and has won before... he may have downs as well as ups, but his position in the league table this year IS NOT SO BAD, thus the CL after the end of this season is still a strong possibility. I think the question is premature, when teams enter dominance for a long stretch of time, the shortest fall seems so scary to the fans of the organisation. Give the guy a break.

2. Two midfielders are aging... yeah Keane was past his physical prime, and Scholes acutally scored yesterday... replacing keane with a top player could correct most of this. Keane is an idiot... hes, in the end, a spoiled ManU player and probably is having some end career crisis.

3. They arent that many buyers as there are players on ManU. If more than one of them goes this window I'll be surprised, my guess is that they BUY BUY BUY.

4. Fulham has no business throwing small change at Saha let alone buying him back for whatever price he is available for. If you want to pick up some one... pick up HORSE van NistleRoy... the guy is only 29 and he's freaking doing his job.

This is bad guys... why even speculate like this... its what annoys me a sports reporting in general. There are some years people are better than you... just like terrible terrible team accept those organizations except mediocrity.

Why even think they would bow out and have a fire sale? They are 3 wins and a tie behind chelsea and the tranfer windown is yet to pass...

Remember... the best part about sports... there is always next season.

6. JohnnyCash

JohnnyCash New Member