Lucky 7 in Cleveland OH

Discussion in 'FulhamUSA Introductions and Announcements' started by SteveM19, Apr 28, 2009.

1. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Been a while -- too long -- since the Cleveland Whites met. I'm in at 1000 at the Pub on Cedar & Lee in Cleveland Hts. Any takers?

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I am so loving this. There might only be like two people in the chatroom on Saturday, but I'm digging this.

3. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Steve,

It has been way too long and, by the way, I prefer Cleveland Cottagers to Cleveland Whites but whateva.

We dropped by Cedar-Lee for the first Manu match this season only to find that they no longer carried Setanta so you may want to check into that. I guess you've been spared my complaining about the fact that I cant get FOX anymore and the local dosest carry Setanta - near death to a Fulham fan.

There is always Fox and Hound or we could try Claddaugh at Legacy Village (dont know if a chain would open early).

4. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

About Claddagh.. dont assume anything because they're a chain.

Columbus downtown Claddagh has been brilliant for the local soccer crowd - both NT and Crew fans- and finally is an "Official Crew Pub*' that almost all of them agree on.
    It's all up to management.

* Needs reiterating, as to FOCUS: Local Soccer team comes FIRST, then NT soccer, then Soccer.. then other sports. Unlike some previous deals Crew Mgmt struck.. like BW3.

5. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Mo, you certainly are a grand dame!

I'll check and let you know. I heard the Claddagh is good, I'll call them later.

And Cleveland Whites has the parallel to Cleveland Browns, that doesn't work for me either. Fulham has, you know, won games this year, not like the Clowns.

6. Clevelandmo

Yikes, could you make me sound any older . . . I'm not quite Dame Edna, yet.

Also, bad news. I just found out my in-laws are coming in this weekend so we wont be able to attend. I doubt I'll even make the chatroom. Thanks so much though for trying to organize a Fulham pub outing. Hopefully some of the other Clevelanders will see this thread and join you.

7. Clevelandmo

Yeah, I know Claddagh can be good when it come to footy viewing, but this one is in a big disneylike faux European architecture upscale shopping center. They may not be willing to cater to the soccer crowd. It's more the location than the chain thing I guess. Just wanted an opportunity to trash the shopping center. Cant stand the fact that they build a new shopping center to look like an old city when Cleveland is an old city with lots of amazing old buildings that could be restored to make a shopping center.

8. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

Total jacking, but Legacy Village was actually mentioned in this amazing documentary I saw a few years back about urban and suburban decline that used Cleveland as a case study called Cleveland: Confronting Decline In An American City.

It raised the point that LV was trying to be just like downtown Cleveland, but made all the yuppies feel "safe" and was thus deemed a success. And how places like Euclid used to be really nice, before are falling into decline as the suburbs kept expanding further away from the city.

Really recommend it.

9. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Sorry not to have you Mo -- try to at least get in on the chatroom!

Any other NE Ohioans? If not, I've got veetle, the chat room, good grub, and Sammy Adams.

10. Clevelandmo

You're not jacking, I totally set you up. That's the great thing about the internet and sites like this. Some person far away knows what you're talking about when you have no reason to assume that they would. I will check out the documentary. Of course, I'm hard pressed to deem Legacy Village a success. Thanks for the post Timmay!

11. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

I getcha, Mo.. Columbus' OTHER Claddagh is in a shopping Center {Polaris} about like that. and fans say it isnt so soccer friendly.

But I'll point out also that Cincy did try to renovate downtown shopping and crime went up. Those 'rich' white suburban shoppers just too easy a target.

12. Clevelandmo

We went to that Claddagh before the USA-Mexico match. Actually the manager is Irish and was eager to accommodate soccer fans. He set up a bus to take fans to the game just like the other Claddagh in Columbus. The problem seems to be that there arent many fans there. The bus wasnt anywhere near full and the pub was pretty empty.

I think renovating downtown Cleveland to attract more shopping and leisure traffic could work, but it would be difficult and risky. It's been tried on a small scale with Tower City and that has been slowly going downhill. THe only thing that keeps it alive is the train and it's location to where the Cavs and Indians play. I think Cleveland could do something nice on the waterfront - like a cross between Baltimore and Chicago- but not unless Cleveland's economy gets better. And they have to address urban sprawl the way Minneapolis did. Regardless, it is probably too late for Cleveland but I can still hope. I have been unfairly critical of our mayor- he is actually doing a pretty good job when you look at the facts so you never know. He is certainly trying his best.