LS first choice 11

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by HatterDon, Jul 25, 2007.

1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Okay, I haven't seen any of the matches, but I've been able to deduce that:

1. Smertin is having a good pre-season. I thought a lot of him last year, and wondered why LS didn't play him late.

2. Boca is being used sparingly. Why?

3. Dempsey is playing a different role in each appearance. Is this because LS is going to use him and is just figuring out where on the pitch would be his best?

4. Early season strike pairing looks to be Kamara and McB. Healy is the not ready for prime time player.

5. We seem to have an embarrassment of riches in midfield.

6. Two of our summer acquisitions are purported to be CBs, but they seem to be spending a lot of time at RB.

7. Good early reports on Kamara, Davis, and Davies.

8. Brown is gone and Pearce and 3U are being showcased to show their fitness.

So, what's LS's preferred starting lineup? I'm guessing

.... .... .... Niemi .... .....

Baird ... Zat ... Boca ... Konchesky

... ... ... ... ... Diop ... ... ... ... ...

Dempsey ... Smertin ... Davis/Davies

...... Kamara .... Mc Bride

What say y'all?

2. Kickflip89

Kickflip89 New Member

I think Dempsey may end up as a rotation player, and the starting / rotating mids will be Diop Smertin Davis and Davies.

3. Kickflip89

Kickflip89 New Member

ALSO, I'd like to see Baird replace Zat and Rossenior play RB

4. nmancini04

nmancini04 New Member

Don't forget Cook, who hasn't been available as yet. There's no way to know if LS envisions him in the starting XI or as a change of pace off the bench.

For now, excluding Cook, my guess is that his preferred lineup is pretty close to yours. I would say:

---------------Niemi----------------
    Baird---Knight---Hughes---Konchesky
    Davies--Davis---Diop/Smertin---Dempsey
    --------McBride----Kamara---------

Deuce has now started 2 games at LW and Davies has been pretty consistently on the right. I would like to see Boca in there instead of Knight and while I like Liam's defending, he's such a bad passer that he can sometimes be a liability at RB. For every beautiful cross he gives away ten easy passes.

5. nmancini04

nmancini04 New Member

P.S. As you say, Boca hasn't been used much, which is why I was surprised to see him in your lineup. He'd be in mine, but I don't know about Laurie's.

6. Kickflip89

Kickflip89 New Member

Yeah, after reading people's posts and thinking a bit more, I think the first choice will be like this:

Niemi
    Baird Knight Hughes Knchesky
    Davies Davis Diop Cook / Dempsey
    McBride Kamara

I think Boca and Dempsey may be rotation players this year, which is fine with me (although I'd like to see Boca replace either Hughes or Knight).

I think Dempsey would make an awesome rotation player in his current form, and I'm not quite sure he's consistent enough to be a key player, but coming in as a sub and starting about half the games seems like a great way for him to develop more.

7. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

Like most of the lineups that I've seen so far, but I would like to see Fulham lineup in a 4-4-2 with Cook on the left and Dempsey on the right wing.

Niemi

Baird, Knight, Hughes/Boca, Konchesky

Dempsey, Davis/Bullard, Diop, Cook

Kamara, McBride/Healy

I am sure Davies and Smertin will feature more than I anticipate, but then again they are simply excelling in exhibition matches... far cry from a prem match.

8. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Kev, I like your lineup but I don't expect Bullard to be a starter until November. As for Cook, I must confess I think that he's so late to the squad that I don't see him as LS's August #11. We'll see.

I still like our chances. I think we're stronger in defense, midfield, and attack. I'd really like to see us get another goalkeeper, and I'd like to ask Mikey or other insiders if there's a chance of any of our youth/reserves make an impact in the first team squad -- Batista, Timlin, and the kid who played against Boro.

9. Team_of_McBrides

I wasn't predicting this lineup for August 11th, but as LS's ideal lineup when everyone is match fit.

I believe that Dempsey and Cook would be a dynamic duo both drifting in and providing quality service into Kamara, Healy, McB and John. Can't wait to see Fulham's starting XI vs. LS, but I have an aching suspicion that LS could shuffle his lineup in the first few matches ala Rafa Benitez-esque. He has a fair amount of depth and it will pay dividends in the latter stages of the prem season... also in the cups.

10. andyns

andyns New Member

Did anyone notice our first game was, at some point, moved to Sunday August 12? Noon kickoff.

11. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Yeah; this means that it'll either be a Setanta or FSC early match for their double-header, or that it'll be PPV -- at least down here in the states. I'll probably only be able to get it on radio from Fulham TV

12. USSOCCER10

USSOCCER10 New Member

I think he is just giving Boca a breather b/c he has a busy summer but I could be wrong. Dempsey had a goal in one of the pre-season games, and I think he deserves a starting spot.

13. Lyle

Lyle New Member

Baird Knight Hughes Konchesky

Davies Davis Smertin Dempsey

McBride Kamara

14. barnes201272

barnes201272 New Member

so far im not too happy with sanchez's choices in pre-season i think , he thinks he still managing n. ireland bring in all these players that maybe belong in champions league but not in the preimership. but i dont think he will be starting bocca , in mind i think this is crazy , we need goals and he has proven he can score. if i was bocca and sanchez was not starting me , then i would looking for a team that would . well thats just my thoughts

15. Team_of_McBrides

Bocanegra scoring 7 goals in 110 matches is hardly a proven goal scorer. He was simply in the right spot at the right time last season and finished his chances, well done to him for that. Who honestly expects 5 goals out of him again? He is a threat on set pieces, but not a true threat going forward.

LS is testing the waters with his new squad. No sense in having an established starting XI already.

16. barnes201272

barnes201272 New Member

well he has one and i know its only a friendly but it shows he still can do it

17. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

Niemi
    Baird- Hughes- Boca- Konchesky
    Davies- Smertin- Que (or Cook)
    -----Dempsey--------
    Kamara- McBride

Subs:
    Backup Keeper (We need a new one IMO)
    Rosie
    Diop
    Healy
    John

18. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

You ain't alone, Doggie; it's the only square that LS hasn't filled yet. Time for some serious GK speculation on the THREAD THAT NEVER ENDS! :banana:

19. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

I'll be making my way over with a suggestion or two

20. Team_of_McBrides

Agreed on the keeper issue. Haven't read any news of a new keeper, but with Niemi's past injury problems it would be a wise decision to improve in that position. 60 goals allowed in 38 Prem matches is unacceptable.