London Calling!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by jumpkutz, Mar 5, 2013.

1. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

I've successsfully persuaded the missus into considering a trip to the home of our beloved Whites for our 30th anniversary next April.
    Besides praying for a kind draw from the PL fixtures list fixers (say THAT three times real fast), I want to see the grounds and museum at Wimbledon, take the tours at Craven Cottage and Wembley, and take a spin on the Eye.

Obviously we've got some time, so I'm going gonzo on the planning by starting this early.

Any helpful hints from anyone who's been are most welcome, especially as they pertain to getting the best deals possible on airfare and accommodations. I know it's an expensive proposition, but it's been on my bucket list forever, and since I've already been to a World Series game in St. Louis, this is really the only other thing on it.

Hoping everything works out, I'm really looking forward to going, and especially excited to catch a big time futbol match, hopefully at CC! Chime in with anything, and I mean anything, you all think might be helpful.

COYW!

2. SCFulhamFan

SCFulhamFan Active Member

Get a pre-paid tube card. Super helpful and you won't piss off the country folk. The tube during the day is fast paced and you need to move with the herd. Get a tube map and plan out the stops ahead of time if possible.

For sights check out the Oyster Card. We found it helpful.

Call your bank/credit card company ahead of time so they don't think some scouser got your card. If you happen to bank with Bank of America the Barclay's link will save you money on the conversion

3. SCFulhamFan

SCFulhamFan Active Member

Sorry, correction. The London Pass http://www.londonpass.com/ was great for the sites.

The Oyster Card https://oyster.tfl.gov.uk/oyster/entry.do is the prepaid tube card.

I was on my phone when I wrote the above. Also check prices into Gatwick vs. Heathroe. We were able to fly into Gatwick and get a private car to take us into London for cheaper than Heathroe. They are also a bit less strict then the guards with MP5s on every corner in Heathroe, but remember they still take their security very seriously.

4. tim

tim Active Member

I've been a couple times (the advantage of having family there). I absolutely love the city. Second SC on the Oyster card. It's the easiest way to get around and you can add money to it as needed during your stay. Hotels are expectedly expensive, so other than referring you to the typical sites, I don't know that I can offer much help there. As for airfare, I think it's just a matter of monitoring pricing and jumping on what seems a good fare when one pops up.

My first trip there was about 4 years ago and was in April and found it to be a really great time to see the city. As for sites, some of my favorites from past trips were the Tower of London and the Tate Modern. And if you're in the mood to shop (or even just to browse), Harrods (of course, formerly owned by our chairman) is quite the thing to see. Other than that, I loved just exploring the city, drinking in random pubs, coming across random outdoor markets, and taking in some live music. It's really an amazing city and you'll have a great time.

And if that's not enough, you get to go to Craven Cottage.

5. jimsig

jimsig Active Member

I only have time for a quick reply right now, but check out the Trip Advisor- London Forum or TALF for short. I'll try and add more later

I was there in 07 and caught a match at the Cottage, as I have mention here before that's what started my love affair with FFC.

6. jumpkutz

Yeah, I was a little confused about the difference in the various cards. Oystercard, travelcard, londonpass, etc. Thanks for clearing that up. Anybody ever done the Wembley tour or the Wimbledon museum and tour?
    And who's got the best fish and chips? Or, where do the locals go for fish and chips?

7. MisterF

MisterF New Member

That's awesome news! You're going to love it! Just went in October 2011.

Totally agree about the Oyster card. So easy to use. We bought a prepaid $50 one and that lasted about a week and we were traveling multiple times a day. Tube is extremely busy during rush hour so be prepared to be packed like sardines. Or just start your morning a little later.

The Tower of London is a must. Also saw Westminster Abbey and the London Eye. I'm a bit of a WW2 buff so I thoroughly enjoyed the Churchill War Rooms. You get to tour the actual bunkers where they planned a lot of the war.

Tate Modern is amazing if you like art. Also the British Museum is very cool and I believe it's free.

You may have seen it already but here's my pics from the Craven Cottage tour. Just being there is incredible and will change the way you feel when you watch matches back here in the States! http://www.flickr.com/photos/kidacbj/se ... 915349089/

Oh and we were there for 11 days so we decided to explore the country. We visited Bath, Windsor, Oxford, York, Darby (to visit friends not too exciting), Warwick and Stonehenge. We took the train to all of those places and used a Britrail pass. I HIGHLY recommend it if you plan to leave London several times. It's pretty cheap and only for tourists. Instead of booking each trip, you have a pass that give you unlimited travel for a certain amount of days. It's incredible and we probably saved hundreds of dollars since we traveled so much. They were all day trips so we were always back in London at night. Here's more information http://www.raileurope.com/us/shopping/pass_finder.htm

We bought our tickets through Rick Steves website http://www.ricksteves.com/rail/greatbritain.cfm

Anyway keep the questions coming, I'm sure I left out stuff!

8. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

:text-+1:

Good luck to you Jump. London is an awesome city and there is so much to see there. I got the Brit Rail pass as well since I wanted to see Scotland the last time I went, definitely a must. Edinburgh is amazing. And the tube pass is a must as well.

As for museums, I enjoyed the London Museum and the National Gallery.

9. jumpkutz

Even though we're still 11 months out, I'm starting to get itchy about this trip. Anybody know when the schedule typically comes out? I'm hoping against hope that there's a match at the Cottage somewhere between approximately April 8th and April 17th of 2014 A.D.
    Also wondering when they'll start the remodel of the Riverside Stand.

10. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

The original schedule -- all weekend matches at 3 o'clock on Saturdays -- usually comes out in late July or early August. Then changes are made [Sunday, Monday] for television.

If you're going to be making travel reservations early, make sure that you'll be there all day Saturday, Sunday, and Monday or you might lose out if the match is moved. If Fulham's out of the area, there's still plenty of other football in the capital.

11. jumpkutz

Looks like the fixture list is coming out this Wednesday. Fingers crossed!

12. RDG

RDG Member

Woo hoo! I will be there the first two weeks of August, so I should be able to see at least one preseason friendly!

13. jumpkutz

Outstanding! Take plenty of mental notes and let me know where you stayed and how it went.

14. jumpkutz

Kind of like...THIS ONE RIGHT HERE!

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/june/14/real-betis-tickets

15. RDG

RDG Member

It will be a very good time. We are staying at a furnished flat in Kensington with a terrace overlooking a lovely English garden (I have stayed in this flat before)

With any luck, I am also going to the British beer festival. A couple of friends are ready to take off work to go with me.

Oh, yeah, FFC. I will probability start at the Crabtree, which I like a lot more than the Golden Lion. It is always fun to be in an FFC pub for a change (rather than a bar filled with MU fans!)

16. jumpkutz

At home vs. Norwich during our planned trip! Woot woot! Craven Cottage, here we come!

17. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

:handgestures-thumbupleft: Good game not to be stressed out about getting tickets.

18. jumpkutz

Flights booked! :eek:bscene-drinkingbuddies: :banana-guitar: :banana-dance: :banana-linedance: :eek:bscene-drinkingbuddies: :banana-guitar: :banana-dance: :banana-linedance:

19. jumpkutz

Hotels booked, travel insurance policy procured!

:banana-dance: :banana-linedance: :eek:bscene-drinkingbuddies: :banana-guitar: :dance: :clap: :p :banana-linedance: :banana-dance: :banana-guitar: :clap: :handgestures-thumbupleft: :pray: :p :D :) :banana-guitar: :banana-dance: :banana-linedance:

20. jumpkutz

So I get a 1/2 price offer this week via Time Out London for admission to one of four stadium tours in London. So whaddya think they are?
    Wembley, Emirates, the dog track and WHITE HART LANE! Not that surprised Craven Cottage isn't in there, since the regular price is still cheaper than any of these at HALF price, plus I'm still planning on attending the Norwich match.

My question is: Has anyone here done the Wembley tour? Is it worth it? Was considering doing it anyway, but at half price (17.5 lbs., I believe), why not?

Questions, comments, opinions and concerns are all welcome, as usual. And hope to "see" you in the chat tomorrow.