Living 'Car-Free'

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, May 15, 2009.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Car Free in America

Note the image .. my son lives in one of those. It's nice.. but hardly 'car-free'.
    One problem is it's impossible to grab a 'value meal' anywhere but a couple shops.. and that runs about 7 bucks. Only mid-high end eateries and bars to keep the image up, ya know. 'Neighborhood type bars'? No 'dives' in that place. Never mind shopping. Unless you want books off the clearance rack at Borders.

I really dont think he will renew after his lease is up, and it's only been 5 months. I think he's already feeling the 'hive' atmosphere.

The point is that without personal transportation, the lower to middle salary person doesnt have a lot of choice where he lives. The most desirable and comfortable neighborhoods will still be those where residency AND mode of transport is purely voluntary.

Look for the government to try to put an end to that.. oh, wait... never mind, they already are. In just a few years, without excellent income, you'll be living in 'best of a bad selection' rather than 'worst of a good selection'

Example of this is the Manhattan/London Syndrome. Where most people who promote 'Car-Less' seem to live. If you're not enamored of the ambience, which IS considerable', you realize you can live further away AND own a car a helluva lot cheaper.

And those COO on cars are distorted. Takes overall costs of trading up every two or three years AND higher end cars, as base.

Here's the counter of guy who's done it both ways:
    It's LESS expensive to own a car, part II

Like I said, though... it wont be for long.

2. jmh

jmh New Member

Yet another 'fog rant where you can't really disagree because it's not clear what point he's trying to make or how he's trying to make it. *yawn*

3. pettyfog

RE: Re: Living

Yet another product of the American educational system... where the ideas are fed out in simple memes and sound bites.
    ;)
    Dont worry, though, like I said it'll all be moot soon.

4. pettyfog

"Let Them Buy a Prius, then!"

good news... for all those 'middle class' {Dem Speak for barely making it demographic formerly known as 'Working Class} people who are going to have to worry whether to eat or buy gas to look for a job:

Review: 2010 Toyota Prius a miser with new moves

So... worried about Price of Gas doubling back? Cap'n'trade? About the sanctions on new Oil drilling?

About where the power for the Electric Plug-In Hybrid's coming from?

Alll a wash.. just buy a 2010 Prius.