League Cup v. Wycombe [R]

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by HatterDon, Sep 18, 2006.

1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

What up with this one? These guys are 4th division old money, and haven't been in the league more than 15 minutes. Used to be a lot of Americans around that area.

Anyhow, starts for Timlin and Runstrom I'm betting, along with a day off for the Superhero Of The Nets.

Everybody disses this competition, but there's money in the later rounds and a trip to New Wembley [yeah, right; like it'll ever be finished] in the offing for the final. We took the cups lightly last year and were embarrassed.

I'm figuring 3-0 with Bjorn getting in the goals with the first team! :banana:

2. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

As I just wrote about on the front page, Coleman needs to play all the youngsters in this match. He cannot risk any more injuries to the regular first teamers with key matches in October against Watford, Charlton, Wigan and Aston Villa.

That being said, I hope the youngsters have it in them to get a win, but my opinion is that it is more important to keep first teamers healthy than to guarantee a win.

I do not want Fulham to lose and I do think the Carling Cup should be taken seriously, but right now in the situation we are in with all the injuries, the Premiership has to remain the most important competition we are in. I hope Cookie sees it this way as well and I hope we can get the win and advance.

3. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Possible Line-Up?:

--------------------- Crossley (Lastuvka) -------------------------

----- Volz ----- Bocanegra ------- Zakuani ------Jensen---------

--------- Routledge ------- Jensen ----------- Timlin -------------

----- Radzinski ---------- Helguson ----------- Runstrom --------

Seems a good mixture of experience and youngsters, and allows some guys to get match fit for Saturday.

4. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

Timlin needs to play, and I agree with you FFCin PCB, let Volzy play, and Radzinski and Runstrom.

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I like it. Don't know about the match availability of Klaus, and you might want to let Lastuvka play, but, yeah. Let's do it!

6. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

My understanding (from what they say, and they say a lot of things) is that Klaus is physically fit, but not match fit. However, he still would have to show that he can put on his boots without pulling a hammy or turning an ankle.

As a side note, HatterDon's quote had to be one of, if not the, funniest WKRP episodes ever.

7. richardhkirkando

richardhkirkando New Member

Re: RE: League Cup v. Wycombe [R]

Sounds good to me. Good time to see what we have in Timlin, especially if Boa is going to be missing significant time. Hopefully Claus can show that he's ready to go as well.

8. martin

martin New Member

RE: Re: RE: League Cup v. Wycombe [R]

Will the audio commentary be available for this one? I'm not sure if Cup games are part of the package.

9. kwdawson

kwdawson New Member

RE: Re: RE: League Cup v. Wycombe [R]

Will Elliott be fit to play this one?

10. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Re: RE: Re: RE: League Cup v. Wycombe [R]

If I have learned anything over the recent seasons about Fulham it is not to believe what Jason Palmer, the team's physio reports. If he says someone is close to returning that means he is out a month, if a player is back in first-team training and in contention from a place in the weekend's match, that means he is out two more weeks. The club is never honest about how long players are out.

That being said, I would guess Elliott does not play until at least the Watford match in early October. A better bet would be the Charlton match on October 16th.

11. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

The Bullard thing proves your point. I wonder why this is. The club also never releases transfer fees. This I don't understand. Everyone knows we spend little money and can usually take a guess at what were paying for our players, so whats the harm in disclosing the fees?

12. DCDave

DCDave Member

I'm not sure whether it's honesty or over-optimism. On Bullard, it's juse wierd that they'd release an estimate before the MRI.

Does anybody have a feeling on whether Palmer is a good physio?

Also, a rule of thumb I have is that Elliott and Jensen are NEVER healthy. On the offchance they are healthy for a few minutes, they will get hurt again real soon.

13. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

This from Soccernet's Match Preview on tomorrow's match:

Fulham's midfield resources will be stretched to the limit for the Carling Cup clash with League Two leaders Wycombe at Craven Cottage.

Portuguese winger Luis Boa Morte is out with a suspected fractured cheekbone sustained during Sunday's goalless draw at Tottenham.

The club captain is joined in the treatment room by midfielders Papa Bouba Diop (thigh), Jimmy Bullard (knee), Ahmad Elrich (knee), Simon Elliott (calf) and Mark Pembridge (calf).

Defender Philippe Christanval, who can play in midfield, could return from his knee injury and there may be be call-ups for youngsters Matthew Collins, Michael Timlin and Chris James.

14. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Most of the round 2 matches are today with three tomorrow I think. Of the EPL sides playing, most have fielded scrubs. Reading put some regulars on the bench, but many teams have fielded sides that have nobody I recognize.

Interestingly [for me anyway], the Hatters have fielded a side [against Brentford] that looks like the opposite of what we fielded against Spurs -- they have 6 midfielders and only 1 recognized defender.

I'll still be following the match closely tomorrow; COYW beat the Wycombe Wanderers!

15. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Hmmmm I think Legwinski would come in handy right now. Why did we dump him?

16. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Here's today's lineup according to soccernet

Lastuvka;
    Bocanegra, N. Jensen, Zakuani, Voltz
    C. Jensen, Routledge, Timlin
    Radzinski, Runstrom, Helguson

Subs: Crossley; Omozusi, Rosenior; Collins; John

Looks a nice, agressive lineup and squad. COYW!!!!!

17. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Pretty damn close to my guess! (or was it really a guess? hmmmmm......)

Possible Line-Up?:

--------------------- Crossley (Lastuvka) -------------------------

----- Volz ----- Bocanegra ------- Zakuani ------Jensen---------

--------- Routledge ------- Jensen ----------- Timlin -------------

----- Radzinski ---------- Helguson ----------- Runstrom --------

Seems a good mixture of experience and youngsters, and allows some guys to get match fit for Saturday.

18. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Do I win anything??? Nope. Didn't think so.

19. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Only my contnued admiration!

We're a goal down after 8 minutes!

Update: still 0-1 after 30 minutes. Sigh.

20. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

That's a pretty good prize. I'll take it.

But on another note, What in the Wild World of Sports is going on at Craven Cottage tonight?!?!

0-2 Wycombe