Last word on the WC -- Golden Ball

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by HatterDon, Jul 11, 2006.

1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I figured ZZ third, even without the head butt.

I would have had a hard time choosing between Cannavaro and Buffon for the MVP of the tourney.

What say y'all?

2. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I am with you Don. I would have chosen Buffone or Cannavaro as well.

To me Zidane was a good player, but not as great as everyone said. Let's face it, he scored three goals. Two came from the spot on penalties and one in stoppage time with his team already leading by a goal.

He did assist on Henry's winner against Brazil, but sometimes I think people looked at France and thought it was a one-man team in Zidane which is far from the truth. The usual suspects, Vieira and Makelele along with some of the new faces, Ribery and Malouda made for a strong French team.

Yes, Zidane played well, but it is my belief that he was not the best player in the tournament and he may not have even been the best player for France.

My last point on Zidane is that the American media and I assume other media outlets around the world drove the Zidane story, pre-headbutt, into the ground. I got so sick and tired of hearing about Zidane, his retirement and how great he was.

3. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

The voting was supposedly finished the night before the final between France and Italy but I felt Cannavaro deserved. He came second didn't he?

I bet if voting was held off to after the final, ZZ wouldn't of won...not just because he got a red car but 'how' he got that red card. I'm still shocked whenever I see it...AMAZING.

4. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

5. martin

martin New Member

6. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

That's BS... they already knew all that they needed to know when they awarded it.

Typical f#$@#king Europeans, measure worth by poll numbers and public reaction.

Screw 'em!