Lalas Pops Off

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by nevzter, Jun 18, 2007.

1. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Sto ... 72,00.html

As to his comment regarding a world super league, I chuckle at the thought of the potential post-game press conferences:
    Journalist: "The club looked tired today, your thoughts?"
    Manager: "Yes, we were tired! @#$*&!! You would be tired too if your road trip took you from Argentina to the Ukraine..."

Footie nonsense, but it's slow around here.

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

"We may be Americans but we're not stupid," Alexi Lalas says.

He went on, "I am, however, a walking example of what happens to you when you head the ball too many times."

3. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

Forum has slowed down a bit, but a good article and thanks for posting it.

Lalas has a lot of pride in MLS and it shows in every interview he gives. Most believe he is over compensating for the lack of ability in the MLS, but I believe the league will progress nicely and with the inclusion of more expansion clubs it can only get better. If only expansion side could have fans, success and players like Toronto FC has been blessed to have.

Some of his comments in regards to the EPL being a sub par league were absurd. The MLS is improving, but it is no where near the talent level of the top flight leagues in Europe.

4. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

I love MLS but Lalas is nuts.

MLS is not a bad league, it may even be a good league. Its certiently far superior to what lots make it out to be. But this is just nuts.

The fact that guys like Angel, Schletto, Djorkaeff can come in here and be so clearly a class above the rest show that we've got a very long way to go before were equal to a top flight league. This Beckham crap is wearing on me, he's coming to play an exhibition in Minneapolis but the prices are laughable, I don't think I'll be going. I watch MLS every week, but this hype is not why I do.

5. Team_of_McBrides

Beckham's presence is over hyped, but he is a great addition to the league. In reference to Angel, IMO, he is a bit of an exception as I think he could still be class and many other leagues around the world. Wasn't given a fair run out at Villa. The problem I have with the MLS is it is still somewhat of a retirement league. No one in their prime looks to the MLS to make their mark. Everyone wants to play in Europe.

If you are in the MLS you are either quite young, on the verge of going to the next level, a decent player at best or on your way to retirement very soon.

6. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Oh, fucrineoutloud!
    [​IMG]

7. Team_of_McBrides

Haha, I love that sign. Fair play...

8. quickdraw

quickdraw New Member

I have no problem with Alexi's comments. It is nice to see someone in the higher offices of MLS with some freakin' passion about the league and the game.

If we can keep people like him on top who are excited and motivated enough, the MLS could actually become a force to be reckoned with in my lifetime. Let's face it, the MLS is facing a 100 year headstart in many of the European leagues. You don't overcome that in just 12 or even 20 years.

9. Team_of_McBrides

Passion is one way to put his approach, but at the same time it is borderline arrogant. Fantastic to see his enthusiasm and no one honestly thought the MLS would be on level ground with the EPL anytime soon. Right now and in the near future it is a pipe dream for the MLS to be playing against the world's greatest in a Super League of some sort and I would imagine the LA Galaxy would be pretty far down th pecking order.

10. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

I have no problem with Alexi's enthusiasm, I have a problem with his judgement.

Let's face it, Beckham fell into his lap.. Beckham was ready for this move and Tim Liewicke found a way to make it work. Lalas himself has not shown any great skill at assembling a good team, whether at NY or in LA.

It appears that anytime he has a chance to make himself look foolish on a larger stage {a Guardian interview must have made him so proud!} he says something that he really knows is over the top.

11. Team_of_McBrides

That is essentially Lala in a nutshell...he is over the top.

He most assuredly knew this would stir up a bit of controversy. I doubt many in the league would go as far to agree with Lalas either, but for all intensive purposes he has/had the international media focused on the MLS or LA Galaxy for a few brief moments.

12. Team_of_McBrides

This is how the BBC among other media outlets in England sums up Lalas' article in the Guardian...

Lalas has described the Premiership as an inferior product whose global success is largely down to American marketing techniques. (The Guardian)

Now they aren't skewing Lalas as an arrogant pompous American are they? :wink:

13. jmh

jmh New Member

Lalas has his heart in the right place but he's a dumbass.

14. Team_of_McBrides

Haha, probably the best summary of his comments yet.

15. nevzter

Solid commentary, 'Fog. Nice job.

16. BC

BC New Member

I think Lalas was probably hitting back at all the critics across the pond who are saying Becks is going to an inferior league, etc. And I can understand his annoyance. I wonder what the top English league was like 10 years from the start? Probably about the same level as MLS is now. Of course, it's impossible to compare the two since the English league started a lot longer ago and things were quite different back then.

I can't believe that he honestly thinks the EPL is an inferior product, though. It's absurd and everyone knows that.

Bottom line, we can't talk smack about English footy just yet. In time, MLS may reach a level near the EPL. But I think Lalas' comments hit on an important theme: the MLS wants to be as good as the top Euro leagues. My question is, should that be their aim? Personally, I don't think so. I think the MLS should strive to be a great league but realize that it will always be behind the Euro leagues because soccer will have a hard time breaking into the most popular of American sports. MLS should be content to have consistent improvement but have our top players shipped off to the best leagues in the world.

17. Team_of_McBrides

One positive the MLS has going for it is the salary cap which creates parody in the league. Prices on players will stay within reaason unlike their European counterparts. The trick is to get the talent on level terms with the Euorpean leagues. That will take some time...probably when I start collecting social security (if it will still be around).

18. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

In the words of 'fog's greatest hero, "There you go again." You must know that FFCinPCB is just dying to leap on that particular piece of Freudianism! :lol:

19. Team_of_McBrides

Damn...I spelt that wrong again. Yes it is PARITY...PARITY...PARITY

APOLOGIES...I hang my head in shame :oops:

20. nevzter

For the same reasons MLS will create parody (hehehe), err, parity in the league, it will be priced out of obtaining the top talent. With only 1-2 exceptions to the salary cap per team, few top talent are going to come to the league because they won't be paid on an equivalent basis. Hopefully as MLS grows, the salaries will grow with it - after all, that is the primary factor in attracting the big names...pay them the $$$$$.