Klinsmann USMNT Coach?

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by TonyTX42, Oct 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TonyTX42

TonyTX42 New Member

From The San Francisco Chronicle:

"Jürgen Klinsmann is seen as the coach who could lead U.S. soccer out of the wilderness of mediocrity, and talks have begun. Insiders say one stumbling block is shoes. U.S. soccer is a Nike operation, and Klinsmann has strong ties to Adidas."

Adidas annoys me because they make those three stripes an integral part of every uniform (called "logo creep"), but man... if we could get Kinsmann... what a HUGE victory for the USMNT. I'd LOVE to see our boys play that crazy-aggressive, attacking style.

2. rumstove

rumstove New Member

Adidas annoys you? I'm on the other side of the boat as I can't stand Nike.

3. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Fog will say I am being Euro-Elitist again, but I prefer Adidas stripes over the Nike swoosh. Prefer the Puma too.

Damn, I must be a traitor! Somebody throw me in jail without counsel or right to a jury trial.

4. jmh

jmh New Member

Adidas and Nike are both guilty of logo creep. But then, so's any brand that can get away with it. I was watching a football game last night and at one point I counted five ESPN logos on the screen.

5. BC

BC New Member

It would piss me off to no end if Klinsmann doesn't accept the USMNT job based on something and idiotic as Adidas vs Nike. Corporate influence should not be that powerful. Unfortunately it seems like it is.

6. kwdawson

kwdawson New Member

Nike will be paying a big part of Klinsmann contract so I dont see this being a problem. Adidas has a big part in this country when it comes to soccer with the MLS and the World Cup.

7. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Klinsmann being the USMNT coach opens him up to a buttload of commercial opportunities in a market where he's not really known that well -- the USA. Adidas wouldn't hesitate to encourage him to take the job.
    Hiring Klinsmann gives the USMNT great international cache and Nike wouldn't hesitate to ignore the Adidas connection, since they'd have a wider worldwide audience than they did under Bruce.

Now, if SOMEBODY would come up with a good strip for the team. We haven't had one I really liked since the 1994 World Cup.

8. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Sounds really positive..
    - news24.com SA
    Sounds like some insider fueled cinch!

Or maybe not.. unless the reporter added that part.

But , then...
    LA Times

9. NJGlen

NJGlen New Member

Re: RE: Klinsmann USMNT Coach?

They had enough power to make Ronaldo play in a world cup final when the coach did not want to pick him due to his head not being right. The teams sheets were released and he was not even on the replacement bench until, allegedly, a Nike representative reminded Brazail of the $40m sponsorship deal in place and just like magic Ronaldo appeared and Brazil lost to France 3-0.

10. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

11. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Hell, that 'clone' would end up being "Chinaglia'!

Why not just get the real one.

12. kwdawson

kwdawson New Member

13. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

Pekerman is by far the better coach with far more experience. Klinnsman's Germany were rubbish before the US game. He isn't that good and there World Cup Performance was largely due to the fact that they have an easy schduel up to the Quarterfinals. Pekerman made players like Teves and Mascherano into world class players and was coach of Argentina's hugely successful youth teams before taking the Argentina job where he was also successful. Pekerman would be my choice as USMNT coach.

14. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Hate to admit it, but Pekerman is the safer call.

15. kwdawson

kwdawson New Member

I think we should be looking for the best fit for US soccer not the best coach you can find. Klinsman can speak english he knows the MLS and the youth teams thats why I like him over Pekerman. Jose Pekerman has options in Europe with club teams and with the US job its more US soccer wanting Jose then Jose wanting the US job witch is not a good thing.

16. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Both have their pluses and minuses. But I still prefer Pekerman because Pekerman is more proven as a coach. I'm still not convinced of Klinsmann's abilities as a manager/coach. His German team was really bad leading up to the WC and they had a really easy group at home. Yes, his team beat the Argies. But that was after their goalie was injured and penalties. Germany were playing at home and I feel they overachieved due to the home crowd. Also, if the reports are true he doesn't want to start the coaching position until 2008, then I doubt he's really serious about the US job, as well.

Don't get me wrong, I could live with Klinsmann as the choice. He would bring a lot of energy to the coaching position. Plus, he's a former VfB Stuttgart player, so that is big plus. :lol:

17. BC

BC New Member

I couldn't agree more. Plus, do we really want a coach whose last name will invoke childish taunts the world over? We get enough stick as it is.

18. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

I just watching the VfB Stuttgart game, the announcers were pretty certain that Klinsmann would be named the USMNT manager this week.

For humor, Jürgen, the "baker's son from Botnang" or the "Golden Bomber":

[​IMG]

19. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I smell a new avatar for DCH!!!

20. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Oooo....you're so right. You don't even know how much I idolized this guy when I was younger. My cousins were about to kill me at one point if I mentioned his name one more time. :lol: