Klinsmann Out

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by jumpkutz, Nov 21, 2016.

1. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

2. dtowndough

dtowndough Active Member

That didn't take long. Now the wait on the replacement

3. astroevan

astroevan Well-Known Member

4. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

Thought it would have been last week. Onward and upward...hopefully.

5. jumpkutz

6. jumpkutz

Several pretty reliable sources are already reporting that Bruce Arena will be the replacement. If true, we might as well have kept Klinsmann.

7. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

This is unchartered territory, don't think we've ever fired a manager mid-qualifying. So in that respect I can see hiring Arena (obviously it ain't an exciting choice). His record speaks for itself, quarters of '02 WC where I thought we outplayed Germany. The '06 was bad, but we did draw with eventual champ Italy again in a match we could've won. Add in he's easily the best MLS manager ever and with the $$ on the line if the US fails to make it...not a bad hire if it happens.

8. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I continue to sit by my phone :D

encorespanish, nevzter and MicahMan like this.
  9. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

Let Arena and his experience get us to Russia.

Look for a new coach in 2018 for the next cycle (Oscar Pareja?).

nevzter likes this.
  10. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

I can think of 1000 scenarios for a replacement, but I tend to agree with Lax. Never thought I'd say that 10 years ago, or 5 years ago, but right now it's an all-hands to the pumps situation. Arena is a safe solution (so is Ramos) that most assume will be able to right the sinking ship. However, I'm ambivalent to this selection.

Another perspective is to make an ambitious hire with hungry, new blood who will throw themselves into the role (I don't consider Klinsmann to have been an "ambitious" hire, but I had hope for his tenure). Porter comes to mind, or even Kreis. And this doesn't necessarily mean hiring an experienced foreign manager (but if that is the path, I'd hope for a South American that can relate to the regional nuances of qualification [or an Italian, Mancini, et al. - build from the back and utilize the US athleticism in defense, not "pretty" football]). There's plenty of time left in the Hex to overcome this poor start and take advantage of the rather lenient qualification process; March is a long road away and plenty of time (relatively speaking) to assimilate a new coach in the interim with friendlies.

Well, I didn't think JK would be fired, deserved to be, but didn't think it would happen. Now, here we go.

11. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

What about Sven Goren Erickson or Roy Hodgson? I agree with LAX's scenario.

Top of the list of the names I don't want considered is Rongen

jumpkutz and nevzter like this.
  12. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Hodgson or Sven? I'd fall in love with Hodgson, again, and he has the managerial background to promise success for the US. He could run a 4-4-2 and out-Bradley, out-Klinsmann, out-Arena, their success with the US. I think a Hodgson appointment, as a relegation scrap survivor, England manager, shitstorm Liverpool survivor, and continental experience, is ideal (dreaming there, though). Sven is a solid option, but didn't even cross my mind - he's probably in the Maldives anyway.

13. tim

tim Active Member

It will be Arena. And what a repudiation of the Klinsmann era that will be.

Bruce is about as uninspiring a choice as could possibly be. But for the moment, I think he's the right one. As much as I'd love to see Roy, succeeding with the USMNT requires knowledge and experience with, well, let's call them the "quirks" of US soccer and CONCACAF.

14. jumpkutz

I would have preferred Roberto Martinez, but the Belgians swooped before we finally pulled the trigger on JK. I think Caleb Porter would be perfect. Young, on the rise, knows American soccer, and has paid his dues, working his way up the success ladder.

nevzter and HatterDon like this.
  15. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

16. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Well, well, well..... and just when I had acquired total apathy.
    My view {no longer from the bleachers but 'from the freeway passing the stadium'} is Porter is as good a bet as any, considering Hodgson wouldn't even be considered by the educated and informed elite.*

- the real question is what is the view of Porter from the senior players and will they be coachable by him.
    * Gulati and minions - not saying Gulati's hold on US Soccer is necessarily bad, it is what it is and wont always 'do the right thing' from a fan's perspective.

17. jumpkutz

18. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Interesting? I note with great amusement the wholesale 'Piling on' of the scribes. I supported Klinnsy's appt but I believe most of us at the time knew he was not the great emancipator of US Soccer. Like in everything else, there is no one guy that has all the answers.
    As to the 'excuses' adding up to break his back... sure thing! Nothing bad that happened was ever HIS fault.
    He could have leavened that with a FEW 'Shit Happens' responses, but WTH!