Kamara or Zamora?

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by SteveM19, Oct 9, 2009.

1. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

I'm in the Zamora camp, but this is a very good argument for Kamara

2. SCFulhamFan

SCFulhamFan Active Member

When Zamora is on form and Kamara is on form it is a hard decision. Would lean towards Zamora for being able to get more players into the mix, but you can't deny Kamara can score some impressive goals. .

3. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

When is Zamora ever on form though? Has he ever been on form for Fulham? I've seen him play pretty well for West Ham at times, but he was pretty inconsistent and would go off form for long periods at a time. It seems as though his entire time at Fulham has been off form.

When Kamara is on form, he attacks the defense and puts fear into the heart of any defender. I admit that he's inconsistent, but is there ever a time where Toure or Terry would fear Zamora? No. Ask Upson how an on form Kamara was to defend against. He probably still has nightmares from that game.

I like Kamara because of his unpredictability. I'd rather him be consistent, but I know that Kamara is going to at least create something in a game even if he's off form. I can't say the same for Zamora.

4. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

Zamora was on form for most of last season. What you're missing, 24, is that on-form, for his role, does not necessarily mean scoring goals. It means hold up play, bringing the other attacking players into the play, it means playing defense on set pieces and, perhaps most importantly, putting defensive pressure on the back four of the opposition.

It was the pressure by the forwards that was a key part, last year, of us having one of the top defenses in the league. I freely admit that Kamara is a better attacking player than Zamora, but the latter is a far better overall player. As good as a game Kamara had against the Hammers, and as unremarkable a job EJ did in his Cameo, I thought the latter did a much better job of pressurizing the Hammers central defenders - it was that pressure that lead to his goal chance.

So, frankly, until Kamara is willing to put in the work to defend from the front, I don't see him supplanting a healthy Zamora on a regular basis.

I DO like Kamara as a substitute and rank him highest in the role of Super-Sub, because he is so dangerous and unpredictable on the attack. But, until he realizes that, at Fulham, his job is more than just scoring goals, he won't be THE starter.

5. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

I know what his role is and I don't even think he's good at that. He gets caught in possession far too easily and looks like a confused forward when in decent positions.

And it's hard to say that he was on form last season when even he looked like a player on the verge of a breakdown at times. A player who is on form doesn't fluff easy chances, even if his role is to simply bring players into play.

6. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Maybe this thread should read "Kamara with Zamora?". For their roles and playing styles, they should be a strike pair. Not that I'm advocating Dio over AJ, but I think they'd work well together.

My money is on Martin-in-Nashville going with Dio, any takers??

7. LOBO

LOBO New Member

Forward? Striker? Headcase?

I'm sure the Bobby Zamora dilemma has been debated here and on other message boards before.

Was Zamora ever really a prolific scorer in the Premier league? Last time he bagged more than 5 goals in a season was during 2006/2007 campaign when managed to net 11 goals.

Not bad, but I'm not clear what his role was then and in what capacity.

More to point, Zamora and Kamara aren't really comparable.

I would say that each of them have their place given the opposition and game situation.

There are times when Zamora's hold up play and physical presence are an asset and there are times when it is not.

Comparably, there are situations where the unpredictability and pace of Kamara are the perfect antidote and there also situations where those skills are woefully ineffective.

Having options is a good thing....

8. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

Kamara's a tough read. If you go by the first half, then no, we should probably stick with Zamora and hope he eventually puts a chance away. But on the basis of the second half, I'd like to see him get another run out. He held the ball up, he distributed well and kept possession, and he pressured from the front. If he reverts back to form though, I'd put him back in the sub role.

I find this "Zamora's role" stuff ironic. He gets chances in front of net. Surely that's not accidental. So assuming he's supposed to get chances, then can't we assume he's expected to put some away? Without accidentally knocking them in with his arse? I sincerely doubt he's not expected to score at all, otherwise he wouldn't be in the position to shank so many of them.

9. Martin-in-Nashville

Martin-in-Nashville New Member

This is a NO Brainer for me, my dead grandmother rather than Zamora, he's role is a "Striker"and unless theve changed that he's job is to score goals, without goals you dont win games.

He may get chances does he take any, well he took THREE Last year wow, lets all get excited.

Now Im also not saying that Kamara is the anwser but between the two KAMARA he knows where the net is and thats far better than Zamora does.

Kamara Zamora sounds like a comedy act, o yeah it is!!!

10. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Kamara.

11. sullytex

sullytex Member

I have a lot of problems with Zamora. Trying to hit me in Hammy end row Z with every shot, while touching, is not really what I want him to do.

Seriously, it is the amount of fouls he commits while trying to hold the ball up. Last year (not sure about this year so far) he had a shit load of fouls that kill offensive momentum. I am guessing but I think he must have been in the top 10 in fouls committed last year, if not higher.

I expect he will have a few as the ball is played into him to hold up and needs to fight off defenders. His first touch is not the greatest to say the least and for someone that needs to hold the ball up, he needs the ball to stop dead at his feet or stay firmly under his control. I think the lack of a great touch causes a lot of fouls as he has to fight for the ball after its played to him quite often. This hold and distribute role is obviously what Roy wants him for, I think there must be better candidates to play that role but probably not anyone currently on the roster hence he gets the nod.

Believe me, I went to his first game in a Whites uni against Celtic and he popped in a great goal during pre-season and I was pumped up and expected much more from him. Maybe the role that Roy has set up for him has not met what I was expecting him to do by design. As a Fulham fan, I hope he knocks in 10 by the end of the season, distributes the ball like a freaking football version of John Stockton, and then walks up to row z to hand me a hat to eat. Not losing any sleep about that tho.

All that being said, I would like to see more Kamara.

EDIT: Bobby was no. 3 in the Preimier League in the number of fouls commited last season (according to the Barclays site). So far this year he is much lower.