Kagisho Dikgacoi

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by SteveFakeBlood, Jun 16, 2010.

1. SteveFakeBlood

SteveFakeBlood Member

Broward County , FL (from DuPage County, IL)
    So I've taken to rooting for and watching any national team featuring Fulham players (Poor Schwarzer). I missed the first South Africa game due to work, but I'm watching Bafana Bafana now and am curious about the pronunciation of Kagisho Dikagcoi's name. In the Fulham matches I saw and heard as well as in FIFA 2010, his name (the rare times he played) was pronounced as "Dick-A-Choy". But in the World Cup, they're pronouncing it as "Di-Cash-Schwee". So who's right? I'm guessing it's the latter, given the tendency of many English announcerst to lazily phonetically pronounce players' names in domestic competitions and the greater possibility they're attempting to be accurate in the World Cup. But I was curious if any one else noticed or knew the proper pronunciation...

~Steve

2. MisfitKid

MisfitKid New Member

Chicago...? :D

Sorry, I am no help. Esp. when they say Martin-ez.

But it looks like he is out of their 3rd match (accum. yellows).

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I've noticed the same thing. It's weird. All season long the game announcers -- including our own Gentleman Jim -- have been pronouncing it DIK-A-SHOI. I first heard it pronounced DA-KOSH-WEIGH on FSC's WC show "The Contenders." Now, the match announcers in SA are doing that, including Martin Tyler and Efan Ekoku who were, like the rest of the Prem announcers, doing it the old way.

Could it be that he was too shy to correct people when he got to Fulham? Strange.

4. ToviFromSantaBarbara

ToviFromSantaBarbara New Member

how do you think he has looked in his 2 matches? He seems more confident to me, which is nice to see, i thought he was too hesitant in White. His was the through ball that Tshabalala finished, and it wa a beauty. He had a few nice moments, but also was caught out a few times too, as well as a 2-footed chalenge when he was already on a yellow that was questionable.

5. tim

tim Active Member