John Collins to be brought in as new Fulham manager.....

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by RidgeRider, Apr 7, 2008.

1. RidgeRider

RidgeRider Member

2. IanHux

IanHux New Member

Ummmmm...... wow. Hopefully if Collins gets the job he'll be able to stop the slide.

3. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

the best news is at the bottom of the article......

I'm sure this won't do away with the absolute garbage being divulged about Al-Fayed "leaving", as if it were so easy to sell off on a whim and as if after taking the club from bottom to top he would want to drop his commitment in the face of a setback, but I was glad to read this published none the less.

4. BC

BC New Member

I'm not sure bringing in a young manager with little experience is the best way to get us back in the Premiership in one year. Surely some stability and continuity with a seasoned veteran gaffer is a better choice?

5. psand22

psand22 Member

It's good to see that MAF wants to make the commitment to get us back into the Prem as quick as possible. But we can't keep changing managers every few months. I would like to gaze into the crystal ball and see what Cookie would of done with 1/3 of the money spent this past year. I bet we wouldn't be talking about the going down.

6. jmh

jmh New Member

Club Statement

7. BC

BC New Member

Cookie might have kept us up with those funds. I guess we'll never know...

8. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

uhhh, y'all did see that the Club basically said that the Times and the Daily Mirror just made this whole thing up, right?

9. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

It may or may not be true, but it made so much sense, at least to me. I see the club waiting until relegation is a numerical certainty and then announcing Collins as manager and RH's promotion to 'footballchiefgurudirector'.

At this point, unless FFC is going to pay 'Special One' wages, I'm for any new direction, albeit much of the new direction will be unknown.

Another said it best: "I must not think bad thoughts, I must not think bad thoughts..."

10. Lyle

Lyle New Member

John Collins

I hope Fulham keep Roy Hodgson. He's probably one of the smartest English coaches around. Fulham simply lack the talent to stay up in the EPL this year, and Fulham was really lucky to not go down last year when by the end-of-the-year they were probably the worst team in the EPL (worse than even Watford).

If John Collins would work as Hodgson's assistant for a year or two, and then take over from him that would be great... but hoping a neophyte, who wasn't popular with his players at his last job, can do the trick is just wishful thinking.

11. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

well err yeah what did ya think the club was gonna say?

12. jmh

jmh New Member

Well, they don't come out with press releases refuting EVERY piece of unfounded gossip that the tabloids come up with.

13. DCDave

DCDave Member

One thing I find fascinating about football is that one person, the manager, has so many roles. Basically, a manager is what we in the States would call the GM and the manager/coach. We've seen that most of the time, especially in American football, when they've tried to give one man both jobs that it does not work out.

Maybe Fulham is looking at the US as more than a source for players, but for a management system as well. Roy might be the best man for the job, but maybe letting him focus on building the team and somebody else (Collins?) come up with the formations and shuttle players in and out of the lineup might be a winning ticket.

Do people think that Roy is best at:
    1) The GM-like role of identifying and acquiring talent, or
    2) The coach-like role of running the club on the field, setting the plays and formations

I think this is the real question on whether a Hodgson/Collins team would be an improvement.

Opinions, please.

14. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

You left out an important factor.. the 'Assistant' or 'Coordinator' responsible for execution of whatever tactics the 'head coach' decides to use.*

Why was CC dismissed? Because he wouldnt part with Lame-O Kean-O.

*ANd I been bitching about that for YEARS, regarding the Crew. I see no difference in my other club. Specifically, a good club needs coaching in 'FINISHING'.

15. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

if we're to have any stability, we've got to stop the managerial rotation. If we've any "Manchester United of the South" ideas left, then how about leaving the guy in charge IN CHARGE.

I'm here to tell you that if MAF didn't panic and fire Cookie AND had given him the transfer dosh he gave Sanchez, we'd be comfortably mid-table, and most of us would have no clue who Sanchez and Hodgson are. The board decided that they had a better idea how to run things than Cookie and, we wound up with Sanchez. Then, afraid that they'd be blamed for their chosen lad effing things up, they panicked again and fired HIM.

If the board was silly to fire Coleman and replace him with Sanchez, then it follows that they'd be silly to keep doing the same thing over and over again.

Hodgson evidently has a good idea of how to build a squad and how to organize a training ground. If Collins gets into the mix, NOBODY on the squad has a clue what his role will be come August. This is lunacy for a club that's just been relegated. We need consistency through the summer and, if he wants it, Roy deserves a chance to build a squad that he feels comfortable with and take it through a complete season.

The board? Let them eat cake.

16. DCDave

DCDave Member

I agree with you on CC and Kean-O. Never saw what CC saw in him.

But we have that in American sports too, especially in American football with the offensive coordinator, the defensive coordinator, the backup kicking coach, etc. It seems to me that when a football manager is on the sidelines that his role is similar to an American sports manager/coach.

17. DCDave

DCDave Member

I agree with a lot of what Don said. We need stability in the front office, something we have not had recently.

I disagree with this, though:

I don't agree with that. CC's best success came with the players Tigana brought it. Most of his players were busts. As Petty and I said in our recent posts, CC's love affair with Kean-O was unfortunate. Also, it seems the inmates were running the asylum under CC.

The mistake was not firing CC, or even bringing in LS as interim manger. The mistake was keeping LS as manager this year instead of wishing him luck with NI in their Euro 2008 run.

Several of us on this board strongly suggested an all-out manager search leaving no stone unturned. From what we saw, though, they didn't talk to other people, they just kept LS. I think if they had talked to other people, they would have seen just how overmatched LS was and maybe we'd had a Hodgson-type manager (or even Roy himself) from the get-go. THAT would have mande a difference.

Let me be clear. The only way a Hodgson/Collins team would work would be if Hodgson thought it was a good idea and felt he could work with Collins. If Hodgson wants to keep the current setup, let it be.

Truer words have not been spoken. Their incompentency has gotten us into this mess.

This board could run the club better than that board does.

18. GaryBarnettFanClub

GaryBarnettFanClub New Member

I agree with Dave about Cookie, I liked the guy and wanted him to succeed, but he played Tigana's team until he broke it, and then could not find anything near good enough to mend them. Fulham were relegated when we lost Saha, Boa Morte and Malbranque, whom we have never replaced.

The director of football / manager do not tend to sit well with British management teams. Managers are used to being in control of the team and the players. A bad director of football will cost a manager his job and so managers are often wary of DoF (see Martin Jol for a good example!)

LS was unlucky at points, but on the whole, just not good enough. JC could do a job, but I would rather we gave Roy a proper crack at it first. what we actually need it to rebuild the team and start to play football with confidence again.