Joey Barton arrested... again

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by krhimself, Dec 27, 2007.

1. krhimself

krhimself New Member

Is he the Premiership's answer to Pacman Jones?

2. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

God, what a piece of work that guy is. He can't stay out of the slammer forever, when does his luck run out.

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I think it may have just done. If I remember correctly, he's under an order to maintain his discipline. He's going back to jail.

If you've watched him over the years on the pitch, he's driven by a rage. He's going to self destruct someday and, if he's not restrained, he's going to take others down with him. Jail isn't a lovely place, but a guy with his level of narcissism doesn't need to be on a stage with thousands chanting his name. He needs to be taken off the streets. If he doesn't, he's going to kill somebody.

4. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

What's the old saying...'not much good can happen to you when you're out after 2 AM'. This report said 5:30 AM and my guess is that he wasn't rising early to run down and get the paper and a cup of java. Guess we need to get all the facts of this incident, but w/his track record (putting out a cigar in a teamate's face, sending another to the hospital) this hardly comes as a surprise.

5. BarryP

BarryP New Member

I'll bet this makes Big Sam as happy! Wonder how much more this will put him under the microscope at Newcastle?

6. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

May he rot, nasty piece of work and just seems to be incident after incident with him.

7. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

8. Martin-in-Nashville

Martin-in-Nashville New Member

9. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

10. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

He's a thug, his brother is a thug and his whole family are just one nasty piece of work after another. Good riddance.

11. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I'm assuming that the basic contract over there has some sort of morals clause. There has to be a way for Newcastle to reclaim any signing bonus, but if they didn't make the transfer conditional on his behaving properly, that's their fault, I guess, and maybe it's right that they eat his contract. Certainly it wasn't good management to praise him for his demeanor with the trial staring him in the face and give him all the pitch time.

It's time for all of English football to cut him loose. He's a yob, and a dangerous one at that. Perhaps there's a future for him at AC Milan, at Paris St. Germain, at Shaktar, or some other place where his conduct would be normal.

12. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Interesting to read about the differences between our court and the UK's. Does anyone think any high profile athlete over here would get 6 months for assault? Couldn't help but take note that the judge made him pay the 16 year old he beat up $2500, again in our litigious society that amount seems miniscule. Same circumstances over here and my geuss is a suspended sentence and the kid getting a 50k settlement.

As far as the incident goes, to read he was the main culprit, w/people trying to hold him back means he is a scumbag. However, if I had to wager my geuss (salary implications aside) if he gets released in Nov. is Newcastle will bring him back and it will almost be like a Jan. transfer.

13. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Mike Brown and Marvin Lewis are looking for a kicker... call it 'Affirmative Action', or 'Equal Opportunity Offenders'.

Sort of embarrassing as it stands now.

14. IndyWhites

IndyWhites New Member

Yeah I noticed that too SoCalJoe. Athletes over there seem they are held much more accountable for their actions. If it were the same over here Half the indiana pacers would be in jail or the bengals for that matter too.

15. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Please, Kevin; have more sense than this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/footbal ... 411240.stm

As has been proven by Mike Tyson and others, continually giving violent criminals "a second chance" only endorses their violent tendencies. Tyson should have had his Indiana probation revoked after his first violent outburst, never mind his 2nd, 3rd, 18th, or 45th. Similarly, Barton has had more do-overs than Mickey Rooney, and he's wasted them all.

16. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Yer absolutely right of course. Negative actions SHOULD have Consequences, where ever.

Noted and saved.

17. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

yeah; there's always a possibility of rehabilitation for some offenders, but people who use violence as their primary means of communication generally continue along that path. I don't fault a judge for giving probation on a first, youthful offense, but if a guy offends when he's on probation, I think I'd prefer the streets be free of him.