January 2009 Transfer thread

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by RidgeRider, Sep 16, 2008.

1. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

2. richardhkirkando

richardhkirkando New Member

I've been on the fence about Bullard, but I'm starting to lean toward selling. He creates a lot of goals for us (relatively speaking), but relies heavily on set pieces, something Simon Davies is equally good at. Otherwise, he's basically a poor man's Jonathan Greening.

3. jmh

jmh New Member

Bullard has scored 6 goals in 39 Premier League matches for Fulham; Greening has scored 6 goals in 176 CCC and Premier League matches for West Brom. Comparing Bullard to Greening is an insult to Bullard; if anything, Bullard is a rich man's Greening, but then, so is Frank Lampard.

4. richardhkirkando

richardhkirkando New Member

Fair point, but I really think that if you gave set piece duties to Simon Davies, we wouldn't lose anything and Bullard would seem a lot more ordinary. That's only my suspicion though, I haven't actually dug into it too deeply.

FWIW, I think that Greening is a good (and very underrated) player, so the comparison isn't necessarily a bad thing.

5. jmh

jmh New Member

I like Davies' delivery on indirect free kicks and corners but is he a goal scoring threat on free kicks? I don't remember him ever seeming like he was.

6. Bradical

Bradical Member

Agreed - or at least nowhere near the threat that Bullard is on free kicks. I don't think we can afford to part with Jimmy unless we get a huge offer ($10M).

7. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

our best player to be taking free kicks is Danny Murphy.

8. jmh

jmh New Member

If that's the case, why isn't he ever taking any of them? He's the captain, Roy has the authority to decide, and neither of them step up to have Murphy take them.

9. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

Bullard is our best free kick taker near the goal, hands and hats down. Unfortunately, his ability to make things look easy out on and off the pitch might be biting him in the ass, as there are more than a few Fulham fans who just don't see it. As said before, we'll miss him more after he leaves than we ever imagined.

10 million pounds would, however, soften the blow.....maybe.

10. Optimizer

Optimizer New Member

Perhaps for 7-10 million pounds, Fulham can purchase a Bullard-esque player? I mean, there are thousands of attacking midfielders; surely there's one of them who can create, be strong on set pieces, and perhaps have a perm.

11. jmh

jmh New Member

That last part may be asking too much.

But I guess what I'm missing is, what's the point? The fans like Bullard, Bullard (seemingly) likes playing for Fulham, he's familiar with the system and his teammates... what's the point of selling Bullard for 10 million pounds and then buying a different player with similar skills for the same amount of money?

12. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Good point, and I agree for that until the summer transfer window. That said, if Bolton ponies up more scratch, to 8-9 mil pounds, I'd have a hard time saying no...

Hey, you get a nice view from atop the fence.

13. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

"Wanderers boss Gary Megson has offered Fulham £5.75m and full-back Nicky Hunt in exchange for Bullard." (Daily Telegraph)

That is the most recent note I've read on the Bully front. I wouldn't take the deal at this time as Hunt would only add depth and doesn't have the quality to take Paintsil's place. That money could be used to add some depth to the wings or in the attack.

Maybe we are asking for too much, but Jimmy is worth it in my book.

14. nmancini04

nmancini04 New Member

15. Team_of_McBrides

How about Bolton offers us Nolan and we call it even...

16. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

Unless you get a proper left midfielder, either in return or can buy one with the money from the transfer, I see no point in selling Bullard. 8-10 million pounds, minimum, I'd figure. And even then, as Steve said, it would be better to do it in the summer.

17. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

EXACTLY!

18. Team_of_McBrides

http://www.setanta.com//uk/Articles/Foo ... nid-35570/

Roy is looking for another striker...

Angelos Charisteas has a decent goal scoring rate at every club he's played at in the past along with the national team, 1 in every 3 games. Also, carries a 6'3" frame. Could cause some trouble for defences on set pieces and holding the ball up.

19. Bradical

Bradical Member

20. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

How about not! It would take a regiment of HM Royal Army to keep him away from the buffet table. I don't think MAF will go for the price tag of that one