January 2009 Transfer thread

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by RidgeRider, Sep 16, 2008.

1. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

2. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

Make that three:

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/a ... p?a=137001

Her's what I think. Get the big fellah regardless of whether Hangeland leaves. I think Hughes does and admiral job, but could you imagine Gooch and Hangeland holding down the center back.

Shades of Vidic and Rio???

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Actually, that's the same unfounded rumor repeated twice. Hangeland isn't going, and while I like the idea of Gooch and the Hangman doing the Rio/Vidic thing, we already have our "Twin Towers" according to your post. I guess that, under your rubric, Hangeland would be Tim Duncan and Hughes would be David Robinson. :wink:

4. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

Aye, aye, Captain.

See what happens when you post before having the requisite amount of caffiene.

5. jmh

jmh New Member

I feel weird saying this, but... if Hangeland isn't leaving, I think I'm actually OK with Baird as our third CB after the nice job he did at Spurs. Also, if Hangeland isn't leaving, I don't see Roy wanting to break in a new center back mid-season as effective as our defense has been this year, nor do I see Gooch signing somewhere that he won't be the starter right away. I don't think he's a great fit for us unless we do wind up selling the Hangman.

While we're talking about Standard, if Bullard goes (I don't actually think he will, but if), I'd love to make a run at Steven Defour as his replacement. 20 years old and already club captain, reigning league MVP and a regular for the Belgian national team. He'll probably land with a higher profile club when he decides it's time to leave Belgium, but I can aim high, can't I?

6. richardhkirkando

richardhkirkando New Member

I'd love to see us targeting players like Defour, though he might already be out of our price range. Standard got up to £15 million for Marouane Fellaini last summer, so I would imagine that they would expect a similarly huge fee here. If we had the cash RIGHT NOW (which we actually might if Bullard leaves, and we can work some incentives into the deal like Everton did), we could probably sign him.

7. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

Anyone else read that we could be singing...

Luis Garcia,
    He drinks Sangria,
    He comes from Barca,
    To bring us joy,
    He's 5'7",
    He's football heaven,
    Please don't take my Luis away...

8. jmh

jmh New Member

Are we talking about the Luis Garcia who used to play for Liverpool? (In the Wikipedia disambiguation page for "Luis Garcia" there are five soccer players.)

I like the fact that he's a left-footed wide player, and also that he has a ready-made song.

9. richardhkirkando

richardhkirkando New Member

That might be this year's David Albelda rumor. I don't watch a whole lot of Spanish football, but I'll assume that he's still pretty good.

10. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

Beasley might be available on the cheap....

11. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

jmh, that would be the one. Apparently three other clubs are also going to make a bid for the out of favor Atletico Madrid player.

I believe Garcia possesses the creative flare the side has been lacking in attack. Another positive... he's left footed player. Somethign Fulham has needed for some time. Not saying he is the cure all for Fulham, but would add another edge to the Fulham attack.

12. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

5'7" huh? -- we could line him up next to AJ, and compete against 4th formers!

13. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

How much for Eto'o??

14. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

TJ Moncur goes to Wycombe on a free.

15. jmh

jmh New Member

World-class striker in his prime, seemingly rejuvenated under a new coach and leading La Liga in goals? Playing for a club that doesn't need the money? Let's just say "more than we'd get from selling Hangeland AND Bullard" and leave it at that. 8)

In news involving players previously loaned to Fulham, QPR have signed Wayne Routledge and Al-Citeh are on the verge of buying Wayne Bridge from the Blue Poo.

16. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

17. jmh

jmh New Member

The Mail is never the best source, as I understand it, but I don't think it would surprise anyone if this were the case and Roy had simply been waiting until his current contract was closer to expiration before starting to talk about an extension.

18. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

Could also be a ploy on Roy's behalf to drive up the potential bidding. That's just the first I've seen of FFC potentially ponying up to keep him, so I linked it. I pretty much hold all of the rumor sites in the same regard. That said, it's fun to read the fodder. Kinda like following politics.

19. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Josh, in the ex-Fulham category, Routledge is being joined by HH. At last we know who'll lead the CCC in yellow cards.

20. nmancini04

nmancini04 New Member

It's transfer season, so that of course means Fulham are being linked with Sami Hyypia:

This from the BBC rumo(u)rs page (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/gossip_and_transfers/default.stm). Not putting too much stock in it, but this thread has been quiet, so I figured what the hell.