It's finally over, Fulham announce Sanchez is gone

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by bq, Dec 21, 2007.

1. bq

bq New Member

Club Statement:

Fulham Football Club today announced its decision to replace Lawrie Sanchez as Manager of Fulham Football Club with immediate effect. Ray Lewington and Billy McKinlay will be in charge of the team whilst a search for a permanent replacement takes place.

Following a run of disappointing results the Club is languishing in the relegation zone of the Premier League table, and losing its Premiership status is a proposition that simply can not be contemplated at this stage in the Club’s on-going development.

The Club is confident that it will find the right replacement to increase its chances of remaining in the Premiership, which is of vital importance.

The Club would like to thank Lawrie for helping the Club through a difficult period at the end of last season, and thank him for his service over the last eight months.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2007/December/SanchezLeaves .aspx

2. cartmanxxl

cartmanxxl New Member

RE: It

at last!
    great relief and I hope the next manager will be Englishman (just not Steve McClaren :)

3. SCFulhamFan

SCFulhamFan Active Member

RE: It

I hope this was the right idea

4. bostoncottage

bostoncottage New Member

It may be the right move in the long run, but I feel like they should have given him through the Wigan game and Christmas. Not the classiest move ever.

5. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

I agree with the move. Why put the team through one more game with Lawrie if you're just getting rid of him anyway. I thought LS looked desperate throughout the Newcastle match and I'm glad I dont have to watch that again. Goodbye and best of luck Lawrie.

6. krhimself

krhimself New Member

This had to be done, really. Of course they'll say that we're still in grave danger of being relegated, but I've no doubt in my mind that relegation was going to be the reality under Lawrie's reign. Something had to be done before the situation got way out of hand.

Obviously, Lawrie was way over his head...

7. DawgTheDon

DawgTheDon New Member

I'm hoping for Collins. Weird timing 24 hours ahead of a huge match. One of the blogs I read this morning said "don't be shocked if a replacement is announced this afternoon". Should be fun

8. jmh

jmh New Member

I'm OK with the decision to remove Sanchez after last weekend's disappointment, but I don't see why you'd wait until the Friday before a must-win home match to do so.

9. Clevelandmo

Yeah you're right, should have done it last Sunday.

I dont want Collins. His coaching has been criticized for some of the things that I didnt like about LS.

10. jmh

jmh New Member

So, when the new manager (whoever he winds up being) dumps Chris Baird during the January window, how much do you all figure we'll lose on the sale?

11. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

why do you wait until 24 hours before the BIGGEST game of the season? this move lacks all tact. i wanted LS gone, but this is silliest way possible. now there's no way we'll get 3 tomorrow. bahhhh!

12. cartmanxxl

cartmanxxl New Member

now I,ve got second thoughts about that Sanchez lay-off... after all it's Chritmas time and it wasn't the best timing for that decision The board should have waited until new year poor Lawrie 8)

13. GaryBarnettFanClub

GaryBarnettFanClub New Member

Unfortunatly, the nature of the transfer window means that Christmas is a bad time to be a turkey and a football manager. If he was going to go then now was the right time. He had long enough to show promise and will give whoever comes in a chance to save us. I agree it was crappy, but there is no room for sentiment, only a sincer wish that he gets a new job and does well.

14. GaryBarnettFanClub

GaryBarnettFanClub New Member

Funny, but the thing that scares me most is playing a team who has just sacked or just got a new manager as each player has to assume they are no longer certain of their place and so must play their best to impress the incoming gaffer. Besides, leaving LS in charge was no guarentee of 3 points.

15. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

My guess is that the club was indeed planing on keeping Sanchez until at least after the Wigan game and sniff around for a replacement in the mean time. But word probably got out, at which point Sanchez would be a lame duck and may have gone on his own. Which lends some credence to yesterdays reports that Sanchez stormed off during training. If a search for a replacement had become well known to the players than the move was the correct one in my opinion, better to make a clean cut before the game than to leave an air of uncertainty.

16. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

Wow...lots has happened since I logged in last. MAF needs to find the right guy. don't rush into making a decision just because the Wigan match is less than 24 hours away. We have to get the right guy and I think a quick decision will only keep us in jeopardy. Now unless MAF has been putting something into place prior to this I don't think we'll see a new manager for at least a few more days. What do I know though.

17. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

There are so many good candidates out there. Martin Jol,John Collins,Alan Pardew(If we can get him away from Charlton) and dare I say it Jose Mourinho(At least give it a shot). Do not screw this up Mo.

18. Clevelandmo

lol

19. psand22

psand22 Member

The sacking was inevitable and there's no need in dragging it out. No one wants to be the bad guy. But if things aren't working (job, dating, whatever...), you need to go ahead and cut the cord. Why let it drag out?

With the transfer window opening up, it would be great to get someone in to get a good look at the squad and access our needs. But we don't need to rush out and hire just anyone.

20. Han-Solo

Han-Solo New Member

I hope that John Collins can be the new manager.
    With Hibernian he has done very well and there's a great old tradition of Scottish managers in UK.....